PDA

View Full Version : Q.???. Do ya do this.

bren guzzi
10-24-2013, 01:12 PM
Do ya American types use these on your networks over there.
And if so what do ya call them. ?

Pootnaigle
10-24-2013, 01:59 PM
Umm we callem Jhonny balls used to isplate a section of line and in the piccher looks like they needed to renergize it so stirrups and jumperrs wuz installed

bren guzzi
10-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Umm we callem Jhonny balls used to isplate a section of line and in the piccher looks like they needed to renergize it so stirrups and jumperrs wuz installed

They are called " flying sections" over here. They are being used to control a T off. ( spur line ). We are rebuilding this line and will put solid links ( solid copper links ) in place of these as they are a bit awkward to disconnect with rods when it's windy.
The links are built on the T off cross arm and are easier to pull and more importantly can be changed for fuses if they are having problems with faults on the spur line.

thrasher
10-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Some of us call them "floats" or floating deadend, in this part of the country "johnny balls" is used for secondary voltage lines or guy wires.

lewy
10-24-2013, 05:04 PM
We call them MSOs (mid span openers), but unless it is for something temporary as they are easy to sleeve out when done with them and only if you are dropping line. I would rather use an inline switch.

reppy007
10-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Why not have linefuses.....ohh they dont use them over yonder.

Pootnaigle
10-24-2013, 09:15 PM
UMM i doubt they have long stix to operate em with

Old Line Dog
10-24-2013, 09:55 PM

Yup. Johnny Balls. Used em to separate different circuits.
Never liked that idea...but it worked.

Never ran into a job where we used Mac's to cross the Johnny balls.
Worked at a lot of places where....instead of Johnny balls, they would just install an inline Blade switch, and Lock it Open.

bren guzzi
10-25-2013, 01:32 AM
We have got inline switches and line fuses. This is an old line that we are upgrading ... This is the way they did it back then..
I think this line was built in the 1950,s ....
WE ALSO HAVE STICKS TO OPERATE THEM ..... POOT ! ;)

The whole idea of the mac connecting to a bridle each side of the insulator is to provide a switching point. They unscrew one side and connect both wires to the same bridle killing the line... It's gradually getting done away with as lines are refurbished ...
I've only ever seen them in copper lines and we are changing this line to aluminium ....

Rob
10-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Here we just call them Linebreakers. Like Thrasher, Johnny Balls are only referred to when talking about open points in secondary patterns.

Whenever we come across linebreakers we generally cut them out and splice straight thru. They are not mapped as switching points. In Line disconnect switches are.