PDA

View Full Version : arm chair trouble shooting

urban1095
12-13-2013, 07:06 PM
What gets on my nerves lately. I just got forced to midnight trouble dept. Arm chair trouble shooting by dispatchers that have never been in the field.
I don't know where they come up with their ideas of why the circuit is out but it seems really arbitrary, and 90% of the time is not even close!

reppy007
12-14-2013, 08:06 AM
thats funny ....wouldnt their average go up a bit if they guessed trees 50% OF THE TIME......I would think that they would know that.

Orgnizdlbr
12-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Seems this is a problem every where, dispatchers are hired off the street with no prior knowledge or experience..... Then they try to tell us what to do. Their computer software predicts where the problem is...... And they think it's gospel.

the best dispatchers always came from the field....... Ah, the old days!!

T-Man
12-14-2013, 10:42 AM
That was going on when I was there, street people dispatching. I always said if you could shoot trouble from an easy chair in a warm office, Troubleshooters would have figured out how to do that a long time ago.

reppy007
12-14-2013, 10:14 PM
I can remember hearing more than once a dispatcher asking ...you cant find the problem with the circuit..well it was like 3am and dark.....it used to be no problem asking them to heat it up,even more than once till you basically pin-point the area.Now they dont do that as much,but it was quite common here,real common .

Swollen Tongue
12-15-2013, 08:36 PM
I can remember hearing more than once a dispatcher asking ...you cant find the problem with the circuit..well it was like 3am and dark.....it used to be no problem asking them to heat it up,even more than once till you basically pin-point the area.Now they dont do that as much,but it was quite common here,real common .

Yeah. Go by the sub and take the ground out and tell em to hit it. You get a good look/see then. Almost a guarantee find.

Hebrew
12-19-2013, 10:12 AM
So don't your dispatchers go into the field at all?All of our dispatchers except one were linemen.They all have a week that they go into the field to meet supervisors or customers and organize switching for planned outages.They get knowledge of the system as it is and not from a schematic.

urban1095
12-22-2013, 11:37 AM
So don't your dispatchers go into the field at all?All of our dispatchers except one were linemen.They all have a week that they go into the field to meet supervisors or customers and organize switching for planned outages.They get knowledge of the system as it is and not from a schematic.

That would be nice. 90% of them were only in the field as customers before they got hired.

trigger
06-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Same stuff here. Management thinks all can be fixed with policies and procedures. Someone will be talked into a disaster. The funny thing is when they are lost then they sound like a whining puppy dog looking for attention.