PDA

View Full Version : Why aren't more Apprentices and Groundmen on here?

ozzy
07-13-2014, 01:29 AM
I really wish there was more action on the Apprentice forum. It would be really helpful to help each other out with tests, who's hiring and answering questions about the trade. I go on here everyday and there's hardly ever a new post. And when there is a new post it seems to go un-answered. It seems like this forum used to be alive a few years back, what happened?

If you want it then you need to be involved and this is a great place to learn and share and get involved. Just my 2 cents.

T-Man
07-13-2014, 07:32 AM
I really wish there was more action on the Apprentice forum. It would be really helpful to help each other out with tests, who's hiring and answering questions about the trade. I go on here everyday and there's hardly ever a new post. And when there is a new post it seems to go un-answered. It seems like this forum used to be alive a few years back, what happened?

If you want it then you need to be involved and this is a great place to learn and share and get involved. Just my 2 cents.

Ozzy, you may be right about the liveliness. There are guys on here tho, that will try to help with answering questions from Apprentices, I try when I can. What the apes need to know is "asking dumb questions is far better than making dumb mistakes" They should fire away, not every question or problem may get handled, but they will turn up the action on here a few notches.

ozzy
07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
All the lineman on here are great. I got a ton of feed back from my shotgun jumper post in the linework forum. I just wish more apes would be on here too.

deer
07-13-2014, 08:20 PM
I agree with needing to be involved. I'm waiting to hear back about an apprenticeship I applied for here in PA. Good luck to all of you who are trying to force your way in that door :).

ozzy
07-15-2014, 06:00 PM
Deer, let us know what happens. Have you tested for them yet or you just applied only?

johnny_utah
07-15-2014, 09:03 PM
I just went on my interview for 126 today. Now i wait

Alexyikes00
07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
yea Ozzy i joined and stayed inactive as i was only a student and didn't really know anything, hopefully now i can stay more active

deer
07-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Deer, let us know what happens. Have you tested for them yet or you just applied only?
I'm in the final round of a 3.5 month application process that started out with 1300 people applying for 20 positions. Physical assessments, written test, the whole bit. This is a great job, and I hope I get it.

ozzy
07-15-2014, 11:45 PM
That's how it was when I got hired by the San Diego utility. You'll love it, great work and great benefits. You'll make lifelong friends.

deer
07-21-2014, 08:36 PM
How do y'all keep from losing your mind while waiting to hear from places? Reading through these forums, it seems like the hiring process for each of these places is months long. They get a thousand or more people applying, so I can understand why it takes a lot of time to sort through everyone. So many factors in my life depend on the result of all this, and waiting is difficult!

deer
07-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Ozzy, had you gone to line school before San Diego hired you?

ozzy
07-21-2014, 10:36 PM
No I was what you would call a home grown. They have a very nice climbing pit, training facility and you go to school each step of your apprenticeship. It was just like school. You get a test everyday and if you fail they climb the hell out of you or make you top poles with a fanno saw lol

deer
07-22-2014, 12:36 AM
Yeah, I am trying to get in via the home-grown route. I don't have $15k to drop on lineman college. I have been doing electrical (ie electrician) work for a number of years, and I am in good shape. How many people applied when you got in @ San Diego?

ozzy
07-22-2014, 01:28 AM
I dont blame you, i think thats way too much money when you can get pais to get your training. They hired 5 guys in my laborer class. The best advice I can give you is get your foot in the door anyway possible whether it be a laborer, janitor or whatever. I was hired as a gas side laborer and transferred to the electric side. It took a total of 3 months for me to transfer. I've worked with lineman that started as janitors.

D9Dozer
07-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm the guy that dropped 15 large for school. I can't find myself a job, let alone someone else :(

I had planned to be quite active in the forum. But now it looks like the only thing I can do is talk about the schoolhouse.

ozzy
07-29-2014, 08:20 PM
It will be worth it when you land a job. Sign up for MSLCAT, SELCAT and SWLCAT and I guarantee they will pick you up. Get some time under your belt and join a utility. Don't give up!

lovelylisa84
07-30-2014, 05:09 PM
I dont blame you, i think thats way too much money when you can get pais to get your training. They hired 5 guys in my laborer class. The best advice I can give you is get your foot in the door anyway possible whether it be a laborer, janitor or whatever. I was hired as a gas side laborer and transferred to the electric side. It took a total of 3 months for me to transfer. I've worked with lineman that started as janitors.

Do you work at SDGE? I work here too... I tried to get my husband into the last Laborer class and NOTHING. That was like his 6th or 7th time applying and he has 15 years of construction experience, including 18 months of UG Electrical Experience. What district are you at? I am at Metro. If you have any tips for how he can get his app pulled next time, let me know!

Thanks!

ozzy
07-31-2014, 12:23 AM
Do you work at SDGE? I work here too... I tried to get my husband into the last Laborer class and NOTHING. That was like his 6th or 7th time applying and he has 15 years of construction experience, including 18 months of UG Electrical Experience. What district are you at? I am at Metro. If you have any tips for how he can get his app pulled next time, let me know!

Thanks!

I don't work there anymore. But I worked out of Eastern, Metro and Miramar. Its all about who you know. You need to be related to a hunter or freymiller or someone else high in the company/union. IMO he should drop names next time he send his app in.

in the bucket
08-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I am trying to get in via the home-grown route. I don't have $15k to drop on lineman college. I have been doing electrical (ie electrician) work for a number of years, and I am in good shape. How many people applied when you got in @ San Diego?

I was an electrician for about 30 years before I became a lineman. I got lucky with my job, I got into a small municipal utility. I learned a sh#tload of stuff on this website. I learned how to climb from youtube videos. If anyone reading this goes the route I did, I cannot stress this enough, read everything you can about the trade. A small contractor or small muni may be behind the times in their work methods or ignorant of current OSHA rules. Don't take everything for granted.

Formula89
08-03-2014, 04:33 PM
I dropped the coin on lineman school. Just graduated recently and had an interview with a large utility already. I had applied for them before I even graduated. Waiting to see if i get accepted to the physical evaluations, should here from them sometime next week.

Dropped my resume with every local coop in the area, and put an app in for an ALBAT apprenticeship back in May, even signed the groundman books at the local.

If the utility falls through, I'm putting in an application for my local municipality as a laborer to get my foot in the door there. Figure then I could possibly get an apprenticeship with the city, or I could hear from ALBAT in the meantime.

Really wanting to get my foot in the door and trying to put as many irons in the fire as possible. Wish me luck!

ozzy
08-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Good luck formula. That's how I got hired by my utility, as a laborer. Took 3 months to go Electric. You have a lot of ambition so you're going to do fine. You have the "I want it attitude" that lineman demand. Let us know how it goes.

Formula89
08-07-2014, 10:28 AM
Good luck formula. That's how I got hired by my utility, as a laborer. Took 3 months to go Electric. You have a lot of ambition so you're going to do fine. You have the "I want it attitude" that lineman demand. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks brother!
I just got invited to the physical evals for the utility. If all goes well hopefully I'll be working soon.