PDA

View Full Version : Custom lineman knife questions

jlaurio
12-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Hello all! I am not a lineman, but a good friend of mine is and just started his first job. Im an amateur knife maker and would like to make him a knife as a gift and need ideas on the design. So, what do you all look for in a knife? Foldable or fixed blade? Hawk beak or straight edge? Hanging ring a plus or minus? basically, if you could have a knife custom made for you what features would you like to see? Many thanks for all you guys do!

Pootnaigle
12-30-2014, 03:29 PM
Definately a hawk bill preferebly with a half circle notch on the back of the blade and a handle thats long and easy to grip in rubber gloves

Lineman North Florida
12-30-2014, 04:06 PM
I still like a folding hawkbill with a hanging ring for my belt, I like being able to have it closed when I don't need it.

jlaurio
12-30-2014, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the responses! So, definitely a hawk bill shape with a notch in the back (for cleaning/scraping I'm assuming). Is there anything that you guys feel could be improved upon, to make your blades more useful? I'm considering including some kind of measurement markings that are either on the blade or handle for quick rough measurements. Thanks again!

reppy007
12-30-2014, 10:33 PM
A personalized name would be cool too....I had one for years that I found in a urd transformer....and one of my closest friends noticed it one day .....turned out to be his initials....I never noticed cause it had a million other marks.

Old Line Dog
12-30-2014, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the responses! So, definitely a hawk bill shape with a notch in the back (for cleaning/scraping I'm assuming). Is there anything that you guys feel could be improved upon, to make your blades more useful? I'm considering including some kind of measurement markings that are either on the blade or handle for quick rough measurements. Thanks again!

Definitely a Hawk bill, I don't know about the notch on the back. I just used the back of the blade to scrape the copper wire. Don't think that's done anymore. Wire is correctly prepared before connections are made with Brushing. Copper or Alum. No more just "scrapin". Mine was about 3/8 th of an inch thick too. Red insulated handle with a hoop on the end. I thickened up the handle with scotch 88 tape, cause the original handle was too slim for my big hand with 20K gloves on. Honestly? Your wantin to make your Lineman friend a "personal knife"...VERY COOL! Not really sure it would be allowed to be carried. I started linework usin the Klein hook bill folding knife. We just kept it open..in the side tool pouch. Nowdays....last place I worked...the "blade" of the knife, could not be connected to the back part of the knife . So....ya might have a problem right there, makin your friend a knife. COOL you want to do that for your friend. :-) :-)

gumbo
01-05-2015, 04:24 PM
I still like a folding hawkbill with a hanging ring for my belt, I like being able to have it closed when I don't need it.

:mad: My first secondary fire was caused by a folding knife. Kicked the breakers on a 100KVA CSP Tx on arm-type secondary, working on the pole. Because of construction, they are 1 solid piece of metal from end to end. Kind of makes you wonder why they make dielectric handles on the rest of them. Definatley made an impression on me that I carry to this day. So innocent looking they are.

reppy007
01-05-2015, 05:01 PM
It happens to the best ,but your saying the knife caused it?Or?Anyway that must have been good connection/fire to trip a 100 kva csp transformer...How did your shirt/glasses look like after the fire? :D

Lineman North Florida
01-05-2015, 06:20 PM
:mad: My first secondary fire was caused by a folding knife. Kicked the breakers on a 100KVA CSP Tx on arm-type secondary, working on the pole. Because of construction, they are 1 solid piece of metal from end to end. Kind of makes you wonder why they make dielectric handles on the rest of them. Definatley made an impression on me that I carry to this day. So innocent looking they are.

I saw a non-folding hawkbill fall out of a linemans tool pouch and it bounced off of a CATV line and hit the foreman on the ground in the arm and caused some major damage, also seen a lineman jump in another linemans bucket one night and there was a non folding hawkbill hanging on a hook and it cut the fool out of his leg required lots of stitches, guess we can find some fault in all of them.