PDA

View Full Version : Florida

lewy
03-16-2015, 05:52 PM
A couple of question for the Florida guys or any one else. Why do you guys insulate your neutrals on steel and concrete poles then run a ground to the neutral? 2nd on transformer poles why do you use 8" standoffs for your neutrals as well as 110s in order to put it beside the transformer as compared to putting it below when there is plenty of room?

Old Line Dog
03-16-2015, 11:07 PM
A couple of question for the Florida guys or any one else. Why do you guys insulate your neutrals on steel and concrete poles then run a ground to the neutral? 2nd on transformer poles why do you use 8" standoffs for your neutrals as well as 110s in order to put it beside the transformer as compared to putting it below when there is plenty of room?

I been out of the "mainstream" for awhile Lewy, but the last I remember, we put the neutral on an insulator on a steel or concrete pole, and tied it to the neutral cause a fault, would blow that wire connection between the Neutral and the pole ground, lessening the damage. Sorta like a Bigger Fuse. I been out of the business for awhile hopefully, a Real Time Lineman here in FloriDUH, will give ya a better answer answer.

Pootnaigle
03-16-2015, 11:58 PM
Umm all that thinkin hurts my hedbone n now 'm wunderin if I ca
ll 911 to report that I/m outta beer if they will bring me sum Ole reppy aint the only one thanks hard n deep

reppy007
03-17-2015, 01:31 AM
Umm all that thinkin hurts my hedbone n now 'm wunderin if I ca
ll 911 to report that I/m outta beer if they will bring me sum Ole reppy aint the only one thanks hard n deep

I still have a little (old reppy).bottle is not empty yet.The insulated neutral lost me.Ive seen some, but its not seen much.NO idea what it would have to be used for.Usually seen coming out of a sub onto the main circuit,then all bare after that.

busman
03-17-2015, 10:45 AM
I still have a little (old reppy).bottle is not empty yet.The insulated neutral lost me.Ive seen some, but its not seen much.NO idea what it would have to be used for.Usually seen coming out of a sub onto the main circuit,then all bare after that.

Reppy, I don't think the OP is talking about insulated conductor (Hendrix or tree cable), but rather using a substantial insulator to attach the neutral to the pole, versus just a small spool. At least that is what I'm picturing.

Mark

lewy
03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
I been out of the "mainstream" for awhile Lewy, but the last I remember, we put the neutral on an insulator on a steel or concrete pole, and tied it to the neutral cause a fault, would blow that wire connection between the Neutral and the pole ground, lessening the damage. Sorta like a Bigger Fuse. I been out of the business for awhile hopefully, a Real Time Lineman here in FloriDUH, will give ya a better answer answer.
I don't understand your answer, but obviously the pole has to be well grounded for public safty and what better way then connecting it directly to the pole without insulating it.

Old Line Dog
03-17-2015, 06:16 PM
the pole has to be well grounded for public safty and what better way then connecting it directly to the pole without insulating it.

I agree. I just don't know Lewy. Maby one of the working Florida linemen Will answer you. Where did you see this??

Lineman North Florida
03-17-2015, 08:08 PM
Most places that I have worked all over the Eastern half of the U.S. have their neutral tied in on a one wire rack with a porcelain spool and most will be bonded to the pole ground, company spec's dictate what and how we build, we actually frame our neutral below the pot, most co-op's hang their pot's on the quarter and the neutral will be framed up near the topside of the pot, still on a one wire rack and spool though, it's been a long time since we used a dog nut in place of a one wire rack. As far as those metal stand off brackets with the neutral stood off the pole a foot or so, those seem to be used a lot by FP&L which happens to be the biggest outfit in Fl.

reppy007
03-18-2015, 06:38 PM
I often wondered why a lineman would install wildlife wire on the high-side of a switch when an animal would most likely be dead anyway due to the top side of the switch itself being exposed.Some places may require it on their high-sides.

lewy
03-18-2015, 07:28 PM
I agree. I just don't know Lewy. Maby one of the working Florida linemen Will answer you. Where did you see this??
In the Welaka Deland area, they used neutral hubbards in some spots on the wood poles, but insulated the steel and concrete. Also saw some spun bus on hubbards until it came to the transformer pole than they used a insulated standoff to clear the Trany as compared to using the hubbard and putting it below.