PDA

View Full Version : Disasters and Linepersons

EduardoRunte
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
My name is Eduardo Runte and I am a sociology graduate student at the University of New Brunswick, Canada. I am writing a thesis about linepersons (linemen and linewomen) and disasters.

Every year, many types of events cause damage to power transmission and distribution networks. Most of them are not special at all and they can be thought of as routine situations.

But at times, something larger happens: several people are left in the dark and in the cold; the damage to the network is extensive; many linepersons are dispatched to the field, to places far away from home, for days or weeks. This is not an ordinary trouble call, it is a disaster. Even the most experienced lineperson will always remember the worst disaster he or she has responded to.

If you are a lineperson and you have worked during a disaster, I want to hear from you! Just write down your story and post it right here in this forum or send it to my e-mail address (efarunte@gmail.com). You can include as many details and make it as long as you want – take your time! It is your story and you can tell it the way you want!

When you send your story, you do not have to say your real name, but please include: how long you have been a lineperson, where and when the disaster happened. If you want more information about this research, including a statement of ethics and confidentiality, please visit my website at www.unbf.ca/arts/Soci/linepersons .

Thanks a lot for your time, and if you have any questions, please send me a private message or an e-mail.

Eduardo Runte
efarunte@gmail.com

edski104
12-02-2005, 05:47 PM
ok kid, how about this for a disaster. the ice storm of 1997. the states of Maine,New Hampster,Varment,some of Mass and New York, transmission lines were down in canada.It was a real mess. I had what, 15 crews working for me in vermont and maine and worked a total of about 3 weeks before we were released. some hands i know were gone for a month or more for asplungh up in canada putting up the towers for the transmission.OR last year down here in florida when we got bashed by 4,count 'em 4 hurricanes in a row. we worked like dogs from august 13th until it was all over. this has been going on for years ,but these are just 2 examples. I hope you get all the feedback you need for whatever you need it for,but remember this,this job and the MEN who do it for a living are true professionals,the last of a breed and completely out of their minds. at least i know i am after more than a quarter century of this shit. good luck and keep your foor off the noodle.

edski104
12-02-2005, 05:48 PM
ok kid, how about this for a disaster. the ice storm of 1997. the states of Maine,New Hampster,Varment,some of Mass and New York, transmission lines were down in canada.It was a real mess. I had what, 15 crews working for me in vermont and maine and worked a total of about 3 weeks before we were released. some hands i know were gone for a month or more for asplungh up in canada putting up the towers for the transmission.OR last year down here in florida when we got bashed by 4,count 'em 4 hurricanes in a row. we worked like dogs from august 13th until it was all over. this has been going on for years ,but these are just 2 examples. I hope you get all the feedback you need for whatever you need it for,but remember this,this job and the MEN who do it for a living are true professionals,the last of a breed and completely out of their minds. at least i know i am after more than a quarter century of this shit. good luck and keep your foot off the noodle.

Hitch
12-05-2005, 04:30 AM
There are no Linepersons... There are only linemen... Male or Female they are a lineman. The only Female Lineman I've seen wanted to be called a Lineman and be treated exactly like the men on the crew.

Put that in yer paper...

Hitch

EduardoRunte
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Hi there, thanks a lot for your replies

Edski104, would you mind elaborating a bit more? You could pick one of those disasters you mentioned and tell me, How did you get involved in it? What was the work like? What situations did you face that make that particular event important? What type of thoughts did you have while you were there, and even afterwards?

Hitch, I replied to your message in a PM, thanks for your comment!

Eduardo

loodvig
12-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Soooooo, who's gonna get the good grade on this, us or you?
Here's an idea why not follow a crew around in a storm. Spend the same amount of time outside as they do. Don't sit in your car with the heat on get out there with em. Get soaked to the bone. Eat cold food with em. And when they go home to rest come back in with em in say about 6 or 7 hours. And when ya gotta take a leak do what they do. Hike into the woods with em. Carry the same shit in too. When ya do it for say 40+ hours then go back and write your paper.
You will then know what your writing about.
Good luck

old horseman
12-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Easy lovedig he just wants a story not a lesson. Hey kid most people think we are in this for money well they are right to a certian extent. But we have a lot of pride in what we do. I slept in my truck in Missippi this year for three weeks brcause I didn't want to sleep in a tent with 100 other lineman (including women). We take pride when the lights come on. If you want a write a thesis write one on the difference between rich Floridians and the dirt poor of Missippi. I went down to Missippi and those people were devastated but they would give the shirt off thier backs to thank us for helping them. Durring my one month stay (before being called back by national greed) I never met a single rude person I was treated like a king. When I went to Florida for Wilma I met rude people everwhere. and couldn't wait to leave. If you want to write a thesis about lineman write one about the the men and women who labor for FPL they have my respect, I wouldn't go there on bet except for storm.

Doggboi
12-06-2005, 10:47 AM
When I went to Florida for Wilma I met rude people everwhere. and couldn't wait to leave. If you want to write a thesis about lineman write one about the the men and women who labor for FPL they have my respect, I wouldn't go there on bet except for storm.

I think alot of this had to do with the media Horse and I know it may sound stupid, but if the media ( pre sotrm ) says that we shouldnt expect much , the public will buy into it completely and dont expect to be out long. On the other hand that area of Florida is a bit more of the transplants and think that since they have money they are owed good service.

Post Storm FP&L was saying much publicly adding to the frustraion. I know here with a claimed 15,000 subs out there was concern that the convoys of trucks were driving south past us to hit the larger areas when it was felt we could be cleaned up quickest. I fully understand hitting the most concentrated areas first to get the meters spinning and to keep the money coming.. but average Joe doesnt get it.

Since last year I live in an area that took 3 hits. We got hit directly by Francis and Jeanne last year and we got the northern edge of Wilma this year.. we were out 12, 9 and 6 days respectively , and each time not only did I offer the linemen drinks, but food as well. :cool:

Be safe

thrasher
12-06-2005, 04:43 PM
In general more of your rural people seem to appreciate us getting the lights back on while city people think it's their right. A couple years ago we had an ice storm hit right at christmas eve then it warmed up just enough to turn everything into sloppy mud and slush (which refroze each night). We had one farmer meet us with his biggest tractor to drag the line truck and bucket across his fields. However he didn't leave when we had him back on he stayed with us the rest of the day and met us again the next morning. In all he worked with us three days dragging trucks wherever they were needed till all his nieghbors were back on to. You don't mind the long hours as much when you are helping people with that kind of attitude.

igloo64
12-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Lineman Period. There Are No Linepeople. Linemen And Lineman.

edski104
12-06-2005, 09:52 PM
Hero to Zero with the flick of a switch.

TXsplitbolt
12-06-2005, 10:16 PM
Well ED like they said LINEMAN not lineperson if you work with us you have to be as tough as the badest man alive .This year at JNEC they got it real bad my crew and I slept in a double cab pickup for two weeks before we got rooms for the last three weeks (5 in our crew).This living is tough but it damn sure is worth it. At the peak of clean up there were 925 line workers out there.Living in tents and pickups with little to eat or drink at times .No clean cloths or showers to wash off and if thats not bad enough we worked high voltage most of the time.But I love to do this there is no better feeling when you get lhe lights back on I work for a small powerline co. in TX and after 15 years of doing this it is still the good life thanks

EduardoRunte
12-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Let me ask you this: you got that phone call, they tell, or ask, you to pack and be ready to go deal with a disaster somewhere. What do you pack? Apart from tools or work clothes, whatelse goes in the bag?

Hitch
12-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Well, it depends on where you're going and the situation there. The most important thing to pack is some adult refreshment. Not beer but the harder stuff because you don't have to refrigerate it and it doesn't take up much space in yer luggage, more bang for your buck I guess. Batteries, lots of batteries for all the things that you have that take batteries. Gotta pack gold bond in the summer. I pack my CD's for when you're travelling up the road at 45mph bored out fo yer mind. Oh yeah we tote motorola talkabout type radios for commo between us on the trip and I pack my GPS unit to find out where we are as the commo from higher usually isn't that good letting us know where we're going and where we are. Everything lese I might need gets aquired in route to, or in the region we're working.

Hitch

harley
12-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Like Hitch said some hard liquor for after work to wind down. I dip so I always take 10 to 20 cans of Copenhagen. A large Texas flag goes with me also. I pack, as many clothes as I can cause you never know if you will be able to have your clothes cleaned. 2 pairs of boots and a couple of books. Hug the wife and kids and tell them I’ll call when I get a chance.

riverhog14
12-08-2005, 10:41 AM
sounds like a rough time for lineman during a disaster. Are law enforcement, FEMA, and other agencies treated the same way (in tents eating whatever they can get) or are they the ones getting hotel rooms?

TXsplitbolt
12-08-2005, 11:06 AM
I pack alot of cloths,batt.,lights,skoal(a case)towels to use if you find water. and i dont drink any more so ive got the biggest ice chest loaded down with lots of sodas and every thing i need to charge my cell. phone so i can call home and talk to my wife and 4 boys. then i get all my stuff pack and in the truck my crew shows up with the same stuff and try to put it all in the pickup so it wont be in the way later .so i got all this crap on my truck and we get there and go to work and i always need something that is under the tool box so thats a pain in the butt and thats just the first day it gets worst day by day because we work and live out of that truck for a week or so.but you never get everything in the truck you always forget stuff you cant buy and you always lose or forget something so you are always happy to get the lights on at the local stores and lineman can get some good deals that day.

old horseman
12-08-2005, 06:02 PM
I think Thasher hit the nail on the head. When I worked around Coral Gables I met a lot of rude folks. But when we got back into the pooer areas those folks seemed a lot friendlier. My gut reaction remains the same though, most of the rude people weren.t customer they were drivers. They wouldn't give you break changing lanes for any thing. I hated it.

old lineman
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
My name is Eduardo Runte and I am a sociology graduate student at the University of New Brunswick, Canada. I am writing a thesis about linepersons (linemen and linewomen) and disasters.

Every year, many types of events cause damage to power transmission and distribution networks. Most of them are not special at all and they can be thought of as routine situations.

But at times, something larger happens: several people are left in the dark and in the cold; the damage to the network is extensive; many linepersons are dispatched to the field, to places far away from home, for days or weeks. This is not an ordinary trouble call, it is a disaster. Even the most experienced lineperson will always remember the worst disaster he or she has responded to.

If you are a lineperson and you have worked during a disaster, I want to hear from you! Just write down your story and post it right here in this forum or send it to my e-mail address (efarunte@gmail.com). You can include as many details and make it as long as you want – take your time! It is your story and you can tell it the way you want!

When you send your story, you do not have to say your real name, but please include: how long you have been a lineperson, where and when the disaster happened. If you want more information about this research, including a statement of ethics and confidentiality, please visit my website at www.unbf.ca/arts/Soci/linepersons .

Thanks a lot for your time, and if you have any questions, please send me a private message or an e-mail.

Eduardo Runte
efarunte@gmail.com

Eduardo, it's obvious that your post is originating in politically correct Canada. We are told to be non-sexist in our communications.
example; a man hole is a "cable access hole" or "chamber access hole"
a lineman is a "lineperson", and so on. BS
You'll never make any points on this site with those words.
Here's a little lesson for you. I asked a female 'lineperson' what she wanted me to call her and she said "I'm a lineman"..... That's good enough for me. I firmly believe that any woman venturous enough to break into a predominately male trade is no kiss ass type of person. They are mentally prepared to mix it up with the guys and don't want all of those wimpy terms turned lose on them.
They're LINEMEN the same as all the rest, don't try to soften things for them they don't appreciate it.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
12-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Eduardo, since you want to know what it's like for linemen you may want to know some things that will help them be more productive.
I learned this lesson in 1962.
Lightning struck a substation and we were called out. We got the call about 3:00pm Saturday, by the time we loaded the truck and left the shop it was 5:00pm.
We drove 2 hours and began working NO FOOD, at midnoght I said to the foreman why can't one of those engineers sitting in those cars get some food for us. No balls wouldn't ask them.
We energized the sub on Sunday about 3:00pm STILL NO FOOD. We packed up and drove past hundreds of restaurants to get home, another 2 hours STILL NO FOOD.
At about 6:00pm we were released to go home or eat. That's about 30 hours.
I never could stand that foreman SOB after that. No respect for the worker.
Here's a comparison.
At BC Hydro we had a tower go down and I was involved with the safety dept. then. I immediately knew that the tower going down at about 10:00am would be an all night affair. Accidents happen when people don't concentrate because of things bothering them.
I remembered my earlier lessons.
Fill the belly and have lots of light for night work.
I ordered a catering truck with 125 meals on board to sit right at the site all night long and everyone who came to the truck for something give it to them NO CHARGE.
I also ordered flood lights and long cables to keep the noisy generators as far away as possibe. The work site was lit like a baseball field.
The guyed V tower was back up and the power was on in 23 hours. A record for the company. No injuries and everyone was happy to work those long hours.
Respect your men/women and they'll go to the end of the earth for you. Treat'em like you want to be treated.
The Old Lineman

mscheuerer
12-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Hello guys,

Thanks a lot for your comments. Let me ask you this: you got that phone call, they tell, or ask, you to pack and be ready to go deal with a disaster somewhere. What do you pack? Apart from tools or work clothes, whatelse goes in the bag?

Mre's, A 5 gallon BUCKET and a few packs of toilet paper. Nuff said?

EduardoRunte
12-12-2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your replies guys!

Here's another few question for you: is there a good side to working in a disaster? And what is it? And what's the bad side?

Pardoe
12-12-2005, 10:43 PM
I have to agree there are not line persons if you bitchs want to do a man's work then get used to be called linemen

TXsplitbolt
12-13-2005, 08:08 PM
The good side is the money thats all !!!!!!! NO thats not it we dont do this for the money we do it to help others then get the money we are a differnt kind of people the harder the work the more we like it and storm work is the worst now the bad side besides not sleeping,eating,bathing. is not being with the family you miss alot at home when your gone for a few weeks. the best of the best is when you turn the lights back on we go from zero to hero

Bear_Boomer
12-16-2005, 09:19 AM
The only time I felt satisfied, is when Grandma flicks her porch light on and off to let us see she's okay.With a wave and a "thank you Boy's", we head to the next one without any fanfare. Let the fireman and the cop have the glory, I chose the route of unsung recognition. Bear

BigClive
12-17-2005, 08:00 PM
What? No pumpkin pie? Well a quick jab on the primary for grandma's house then! :rolleyes:

LostArt
12-17-2005, 09:16 PM
The boss says the Cajun gumbo tastes pretty darn good too. Heh.

Hello Eduardo. I hope these guys haven't been too harsh. It would be better if you could actually PM some of these guys that might be willing to talk to you about it. Kinda walk you through some of your questions. If you would like, I will volunteer some great ones here. (I hear some moaning! Stop it!) I don't mind and you can always say, "Well, LostArt said you wouldn't mind." That way, they can moan and cuss me. :D

If you need more info, you give me a holler, okay?

--LA

PS.........Rich Floridians? Heh. And here I thought we were a bunch of uncouth rednecks! Or is that rednecked persons?

EduardoRunte
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi LostArt,

Thanks a lot for your offer! I think I'll accept it.

My idea with asking the questions in here was so that you guys could talk about each other's answers and maybe enrich the discussion, but if it would be easier or more convenient to go through PMs, that's all right for me!

Thanks!

LostArt
12-23-2005, 12:30 PM
You are welcome Eduardo. However, you might want to just browse around some here in the linework forum. Reading the posts/threads these guys spit out can give you more information maybe than anything else.

That's how I have arrived by my perspective in the minds of a lineman. THAT and sleeping with one for over 25 years! :D

Again, good luck.

LA

edski104
12-24-2005, 04:50 PM
the good side ,as I see it, is 1, you make a lot of stinking cash. 2, the look on peoples faces when their power goes back on, especially after the public relations a**holes gave them an estimate of days or weeks and you beat it by miles. And I agree with anyone who says that city folk are idiots and country folk will give you anything you need to help. We were in Maine and putting up single phase lines and people would come out of their houses and offer us coffee and donuts. They had been out of power 3 WEEKS and were willing to help. To me that shows that while some people may not have a lot of money,they have what really counts,class.

lightningrod
01-15-2006, 07:51 PM
Well EduardoRunte how is your study progressing, unfortunately its been pretty calm in this neck of the woods and no disasters to write about. By the way I live about 20km from UNB campus.

Have you thought about talking to a line crew you may see working in the area, I happen to know they just built a new line on campus for the new residence under construction and there is still some work left to do on it.

Any lineman I have worked with on big storms (hurriacane Juan sept 28, ice storm 98, Florida hurricanes ect) enjoyed getting the big pay but also the satisfaction of a job well done. I was in Halifax for 13 days and the people treated us like gold, you had all the food and drink you wanted even though they had no power and damaged homes which made you feel good to turn the lights on for them.

EduardoRunte
01-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Hi lightningrod,

Thanks for asking. I got the bulk of the data that I need, that is, several interviews with linemen, the forum posts and a few other sources.

I'm now in the process of analyzing all that material to write my thesis. It has been very interesting and I am learning a lot about what you guys do. :)

Thunderchild
02-07-2006, 07:12 PM
ill say this...

ive been in linework for 27 years. i wouldnt trade jobs with anybody.
i work at Mississippi power co. Katrina kicked our ass...we are still
working 7 days a week to get everything back up.
right now, in our division, all thats left is street lights and yard lights.

however on the gulf cost...it will be years before things are even close to normal. we are sendind a two man unit down every week to help with restoration.

EduardoRunte
02-08-2006, 06:20 PM
Hi Thunderchild,

thanks for your comment :)

Tade
02-28-2006, 09:32 PM
Katrina

Hattiesburg, MS

My crew spent 3 weeks in Hattiesburg to repair storm damage. When we got there a light couldn't be found. Thirty six hours after the storm left we started getting lights on. We moved from 2 different hotels because once the lights came FEMA "NEEDED" them. We finally found a home and to make a long story short I would like to personally thank the people this community for their wonderful attitudes and eagerness to make us feel at home. It is wonderful to see a sign in a front yard that says " Thank you" and know it's for you. Tempers get a little short at different times but it always works out. I saw all kinds of damage but line work is line work. The biggest disaster is being away from home. Pride in what I do put me there and we did the best job we could do to get as many lights on as possible.

EduardoRunte
03-05-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks Tade, I appreciate your comments :D

dirtdobber
03-17-2006, 01:30 PM
when you get your paper completed how about posting it along with the other meterial you mention so we can judge what you have learned. we lineman are just on the edge of insanity to do what we do and stay alive doing it. but then again it just might be thenwe are a little more intelgent than we give our selves credit for. I sure hope you have learned what you set out to learn. if you dont think lineman are a bit crazy next time you see a crew working stop & talk to them.

dirtdobber
03-17-2006, 01:32 PM
when you get your paper completed how about posting it along with the other meterial you mention so we can judge what you have learned. we lineman are just on the edge of insanity to do what we do and stay alive doing it. but then again it just might be that
we are a little more intelgent than we give our selves credit for. I sure hope you have learned what you set out to learn. if you dont think lineman are a bit crazy next time you see a crew working stop & talk to them.

EduardoRunte
03-20-2006, 11:49 AM
when you get your paper completed how about posting it along with the other meterial you mention so we can judge what you have learned. we lineman are just on the edge of insanity to do what we do and stay alive doing it. but then again it just might be that
we are a little more intelgent than we give our selves credit for. I sure hope you have learned what you set out to learn. if you dont think lineman are a bit crazy next time you see a crew working stop & talk to them.

Hello dirtdobber,

Thanks for your comment. I am currently in the process of writing this paper and surely, once it's completed, I will let you all know! :)

dirtdobber
03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
thank you I am sure everyone that responded to you will be intrested to see how it turns out I know I am interested. :)

EduardoRunte
04-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Hello everyone,

I would like to thank all of you who contributed to my research with your comments. I finished writing my thesis last week and it will be presented on monday, May 1st. The notice of convocation (with an abstract of the paper) is attached to this post.

A summary of the project will be available online sometime after the defense (I will post the address here) and if you are interested in having a copy of the whole thesis, please send me a request at efarunte@gmail.com

Again, thanks a lot for your cooperation!

Eduardo

bdiltep
05-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Soooooo, who's gonna get the good grade on this, us or you?
Here's an idea why not follow a crew around in a storm. Spend the same amount of time outside as they do. Don't sit in your car with the heat on get out there with em. Get soaked to the bone. Eat cold food with em. And when they go home to rest come back in with em in say about 6 or 7 hours. And when ya gotta take a leak do what they do. Hike into the woods with em. Carry the same shit in too. When ya do it for say 40+ hours then go back and write your paper.
You will then know what your writing about.
Good luck
WOW YOU ARE WHAT THIS COUNTRY REALY NEEDS MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU SO, WE ALL HAVE SOMEONE TO BE OUR HERO!!!

EduardoRunte
05-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Hello everyone,

As promised, here is a brief summary of my research findings. I hope you guys enjoy it.

The full thesis will be released by e-mail only, to those interested. However, that may take some time to come out.

thanks a lot!

scammy
05-23-2006, 08:34 PM
Edwardo : its not always about the money,,,,love my job ,,,,for some its the thrill of it ,for others its the satisfaction of keeping you people warm on a cold winters night,,,,,or the satisfaction of gettin the power on at 3 in the morning with winds blowing at 30 knots at 6 degrees ,for a kid on a breathing machine,,,,,dont pass these guys off as normal,,god knows they are far from it ,2 minutes with any of them will prove it to ya, good luck god bless,,,,,,,,,,,,scammy

texas lineman's wife
05-29-2006, 01:22 AM
My husband has worked for the same power company for 30 years. It is his turn again to conduct the safety meeting. He would like to talk about the dangers and or accidents to linemen related to lightning strikes. We have both looked extensively for the information, with not much luck. I don't believe there is a problem, he does. Could you help direct me. He is out on call a lot and just doesn't have the time. Thank you so much in advance.

billfoster67
06-01-2006, 11:53 PM
In Beckley and Ripley, WV I was a first step apprentice puttin a transmission line back together. Being a first stepper, I climbed this mountain about a thousand times. Humping chainhoists, chokers, snatch blocks through four feet of snow for the lineman. It was the environment. We got half the city up, including the hospital. And people lined the streets to greet us and thank us. Free coffee and sundries any time we needed it. We worked continously. The communities knew it. Ladies made soup and meals for us. It was amazing.

Now I have been a lineman for six years. And I am a tramp, and proud of it. I worked for a utility in LA. We were having a pole delivered. The pole was about to hit the ground by delivery guy, this Mercedes crashed through the barricades. The pole was in the claws of the bunk truck ten feet from the ground. The guy couldn't wait five minutes for us to unload the pole and drag to the end of the alley. I went livid with the ignorance- he was scared to get out of his car. He threatened to call the cops- told him to go ahead. We were totally stalemated. For this jerk, my foreman's decision, we had to unset. move our truck, place the pole in the bunks. And the dude moved ten feet to park. With millions of spaces on the road. He wanted a parking spot with his name on it. I chased him in his office. He ran out of that car into his office. Thats the ignorance you have in large cities.

Hard working people that know a day's hard work they're appreciative of how hard we work. Line work is challenging, You have to think and stay focused all the time. People from offices with titles don't understand. But a WV miner understands the focus and hard work. Thats why in WV we were treated so well. And in LA, your treated like garbage.

hillbilloutcast70
06-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Florida is a nice place for a storm break, but wouldnt want to live there. Worst place for a storm was my home town after about nine days had have police escorts. elizabethton tenn. best place i have ever been was Dequeen ark they didnt care ifthey had power if not they just liked having new people to talk to

SHELIA
07-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I am not a lineman but I do work for a Utility Contractor. I am trying to find ways to keep our guys safe while they are out in the field, that is why I joined this forum. You guys have been and/or there now an I would love to hear from you. It is a dangerous life that you live, I had no idea until I went out with our crews and they showed me what they do. I came back with a better understanding and a lot more respect for linemen. My prayers are with each one of you everyday.

LostArt
07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Hey, hey, hey! I could be a Shelia!!!

Okay...........maybe not. But, I know what a shelia is! Heh. Sorry Shelia...........if your name is INDEED Shelia, then more power to you!

BTW, I much doubt Eduardo will be back. Shelia....why don't ya start a new thread?

toptie
07-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Lostart, I've read a lot of your junk. Don't you have anything better to do, rather than sit at the damn keyboard all day long? If you question Shelia to be somebody other than she claims to be, let your lineman husband talk to her, unless somebody aint playin by the rules. Find something with activity to occupy your time. You might even lose some weight. Just by judging how much time you spend on this site, I would bet a dollar to a dime your ass is 3' wide. :eek:

Lnemn's Mom
07-20-2006, 11:20 AM
Easy lovedig he just wants a story not a lesson. Hey kid most people think we are in this for money well they are right to a certian extent. But we have a lot of pride in what we do. I slept in my truck in Missippi this year for three weeks brcause I didn't want to sleep in a tent with 100 other lineman (including women). We take pride when the lights come on. If you want a write a thesis write one on the difference between rich Floridians and the dirt poor of Missippi. I went down to Missippi and those people were devastated but they would give the shirt off thier backs to thank us for helping them. Durring my one month stay (before being called back by national greed) I never met a single rude person I was treated like a king. When I went to Florida for Wilma I met rude people everwhere. and couldn't wait to leave. If you want to write a thesis about lineman write one about the the men and women who labor for FPL they have my respect, I wouldn't go there on bet except for storm.
I believe the people who were rude to you would have been rude no matter where they lived. I've always heard to treat people the way you want to be treated, and apparently, that must have been what they were looking for. If you are a nice person to begin with, a storm would/or should have humbled you a bit more. They should have been happy that the crews were working so hard to restore their power. I lived and worked in FL (Wellington area) for a long while, and must say that for the most part, everyone I came in contact with there was pretty nice. Just like anywhere else you go, when it comes to disaster, you do come across some unappreciative groups. Even if their power had been restored the first day, they would have felt that they were entitled, and not everyone is like that. My friends who are still there would write how much they appreciated all that was being done for them. So, from one former Floridian, GREAT JOB! The guys who hit the road and work the storms are the greatest! I know that you'd much rather be home enjoying your family, relaxing after putting in a very hard day, but instead, you go out and work against some of the most dangerous conditions. Its not said often enough, and by some, not at all. But, all you do, all the long hard hours you put in, it is appreciated.

LostArt
07-21-2006, 07:09 PM
Lostart, I've read a lot of your junk. Don't you have anything better to do, rather than sit at the damn keyboard all day long? If you question Shelia to be somebody other than she claims to be, let your lineman husband talk to her, unless somebody aint playin by the rules. Find something with activity to occupy your time. You might even lose some weight. Just by judging how much time you spend on this site, I would bet a dollar to a dime your ass is 3' wide. :eek:

Oh pooh. And you, dear sir, have nothing better to do than chase me around this nice informative site with some mighty fine gentlemen that show respect to lineman wives, every time I post. And since you seem to know all about me and my big behind, then why don't you bite this!

I know, I know! But, I just saw this and Toptie just seems to BEG me to post back at him! Can't let the good ole man down, can I? :D Jeeze. I have some of you saying I ain't posting much and then Toptie here thinks I post all the dag gum day long! LMAO! Oh man. God love him though. He seems to need it.

Orgnizdlbr
07-22-2006, 08:35 AM
I know, I know! But, I just saw this and Toptie just seems to BEG me to post back at him! Can't let the good ole man down, can I? :D Jeeze. I have some of you saying I ain't posting much and then Toptie here thinks I post all the dag gum day long! LMAO! Oh man. God love him though. He seems to need it.

Grace, post as much, or as little as you like. You dont need permission!!!http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/images/icons/icon12.gif

LostArt
07-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Grace, post as much, or as little as you like. You dont need permission!!!http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Does that include talkin' junk Georgie? Heh.

Move along folks! There is nothing here....move along.

Orgnizdlbr
07-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Does that include talkin' junk Georgie? Heh.

Its all encompassing Grace!http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/images/icons/icon6.gif

loodvig
07-22-2006, 10:11 AM
Toptie this is an easy fix! If the lady bothers you don't look at it! WTF? It's a no brainer!

LostArt
07-22-2006, 11:46 AM
Encompassing eh? Now Georgie, I don't think Toptie wants a group hug. :D

Toptie this is an easy fix! If the lady bothers you don't look at it! WTF? It's a no brainer!

I'll make it easier Loo!

Go to "user CP" > then "control panel"(it's the menu on the left) > under "miscellaneous"(it's at the bottom of the menu) chose options "Buddy/Ignore List" click on it.

Now........you wanna make SURE you type in "LostArt".................in the IGNORE place, okay?

Hopefully, this will also help anyone else that doesn't want to see my smartmouthed ways in text.

CHICAGO HAND.
07-23-2006, 10:00 AM
WILL IT ALSO WORK TO IGNORE TOPTIE ?
THIS GUY MUST BE A MEMBER OF ISLAM, YOU KNOW BEAT THERE WOMEN BACK TO THE 17th CENTURY.
NICE GUY HA?

Lnemn's Mom
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
What is this, a post to discuss tragedy that is happening in this field or personal assaults. Come on, get your acts together. Together, everyone trying to find some way to stop the death and horrible accidents that are happening to the workers, fighting can only keep things as they are. No answers and more and more workers getting maimed or killed. United we stand a chance. The assaults and name calling only keeps things as they are. A plus in the corner of the industry that pushes our workers into situations that they either have no business in, or into the field before they are ready to take on the work. If the fighting continues internally, then they have the upper hand. The training and safety precautions will continue at a bare minimum, to keep the production going full steam ahead and the corporate bonuses mounting. Of course, that is unless you want to take a stand and attempt to make a difference. Its your decision. I personally don't want to see another child, parent, wife or girlfriend go through the grief of losing a loved one because we don't have the "balls" to stop arguing, and start putting the pressure on for change.

LostArt
07-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Thank you Mom. Someone needed to slap us back to the subject! :D

I don't think any of this is far from our minds and hearts. Some have had near misses and some have not been so fortunate. Some have been in homes after the death of a brother lineman and some grieve from afar.

I read the Accident/Injury forum -----sometimes. I personally have been affected but not by a loss such as yours. I've also asked Rusty questions about this in the past. Shot him a few PM's. I think he has a good ear and a good arm. But, for me..........and this is just me, I don't want to think of accidents/injuries. I can't think about them all the time. The boss has had some injuries. Many years ago, but it's still fresh in my mind. But, just because I don't read that forum or go there, doesn't mean I don't care. I sincerely hope that any wife/mom/dad/child that has lost a family member to an accident, can seek the help they need. If I should need the help (God forbid), I'll know what to do. But, the boss keeps me pretty much informed.

As the Good Book says, "There is a time and place....." Sometimes we all get off track. I'm probably the worse with that here. I don't mean to be, but I'm only human and so are all the guys here. And sometimes.........well, I hope I bring a smile to some faces. As you said, it's a dangerous job, but someone has to do it. These guys have stepped up and took it on.

There are some great men here. I've personally had contact with a few and know them and their families through some emails and PM's. They are very supportive and will answer or find a question that you might have. No line gods here, only hard working, very imformative, experienced men..........or so the ones that I have had contact with. I appreciate it and them. More than they will ever know. And I've learned alot in the last 2 yrs here. It's just another link for me, but one that ties me to the boss, my husband. And most of the active posting members here know this.

Many blessings to you Mom. Sorry for the .....uh.......mumbles and grumbles, but that also goes with the linework. ;)

--LA

billfoster67
08-14-2006, 12:21 AM
Eduardo, since you want to know what it's like for linemen you may want to know some things that will help them be more productive.
I learned this lesson in 1962.
Lightning struck a substation and we were called out. We got the call about 3:00pm Saturday, by the time we loaded the truck and left the shop it was 5:00pm.
We drove 2 hours and began working NO FOOD, at midnoght I said to the foreman why can't one of those engineers sitting in those cars get some food for us. No balls wouldn't ask them.
We energized the sub on Sunday about 3:00pm STILL NO FOOD. We packed up and drove past hundreds of restaurants to get home, another 2 hours STILL NO FOOD.
At about 6:00pm we were released to go home or eat. That's about 30 hours.
I never could stand that foreman SOB after that. No respect for the worker.
Here's a comparison.
At BC Hydro we had a tower go down and I was involved with the safety dept. then. I immediately knew that the tower going down at about 10:00am would be an all night affair. Accidents happen when people don't concentrate because of things bothering them.
I remembered my earlier lessons.
Fill the belly and have lots of light for night work.
I ordered a catering truck with 125 meals on board to sit right at the site all night long and everyone who came to the truck for something give it to them NO CHARGE.
I also ordered flood lights and long cables to keep the noisy generators as far away as possibe. The work site was lit like a baseball field.
The guyed V tower was back up and the power was on in 23 hours. A record for the company. No injuries and everyone was happy to work those long hours.
Respect your men/women and they'll go to the end of the earth for you. Treat'em like you want to be treated.
The Old Lineman

I hope you are not retiring soon. I have had a few GFs that took care of us like that-very few. But I will always remember them for knowing what we do and the sacrifices we make. Too bad a lot of management types haven't walked in our shoes. God Bless You!!

EduardoRunte
10-09-2006, 07:15 AM
BTW, I much doubt Eduardo will be back. Shelia....why don't ya start a new thread?

Hello :)

I still follow the thread, but for the time being, I am not collecting any info. However if anyone wants to contact me for any reason, my e-mail address is efarunte@gmail.com

eduardo

Space
01-01-2007, 02:30 PM
One that comes to mind is Hugo , we where fortunate enough to get the west side of S.C. where the damage was more sparse from Tornadoes branching off .
The story that always sticks to my mind is about a little ole woman's faith in God and the answer to a desperate prayer .
A place where a large Tornado had set down and wiped a swath about 400 yds wide and maybe a mile deep into the woods .
The woods where mainly bull pines but it looked like a bush hog had went hrough there and chopped every tree off at about 2-4 ft above ground .
At the end od this swath was a house , small 4-5 room house , wood frame and wood weatherboard . Outside about 15 ft from the house was the sevice pole and it was snapped off with about a 3 ft stub sticking up . The Tornado had come up behind the house wiping a swath as described snapping off the service pole circling the house about 15 ft from the house in a circle and never knocked out a window , broke a white oak off in front of her house that was aproxamitely 5 ft or so in girth , I mean twisted it off and layed it down beside her house with out touching it . We looked at the tree thouroughly and there where no hollow spots in it where it twisted off , it was on of the largest white oaks I have seen .
She came out and talked to us and invited us in , her home was an older home , but quaint and nice , she said when it came upon her , the house shook so violently that the cupboards opened and the dishes and glasses began to vibrate out onto the floor breaking , she had no bathroom , so she had layed in the ktichen floor clutching her Bible and praying , she said she prayed hard and believed God would protect her . He did , and other than being a little shook up and the loss of some dinning ware , everything was fine , even the Johnny was still standing , a little crooked , but fully usable .
She was one of the sweetest ladies I can remeber talking too and I have to admit , you got a feeling about that little 90 lb. woman , she had a radiance to her . I don't remember her age but Im sure it was in late 60's or early 70's .
That's my story , Space

Genoin NW
01-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Here's an eye opener.... Watch an Linemen's Rodeo. They represent a large part of what we do on a dailey basis. Get someone to get you into a set of hooks and stand on a pole for a bit....You'll see what real men do for a living!