PDA

View Full Version : Degrees that helped you

linemanlearning
01-28-2016, 08:02 PM
Hello

I am 26 and love my job. I have done line work for the past 6 years and learn something everyday. I have since listened to a lot of people that are over me that continue to tell me that it is my own fault if I'm not a boss over them one day. With that said they have strong advice for me to get a degree for future. I am in no way wanting to move from were i am but i do now that the future jobs a degree with years of experience can be a huge plus. I am currently enrolled in Bismarck State college and will have a degree with associates in energy technology and i am almost half done with a bachelors in energy management. I was wanting to hear back from people that have been in the same situation that love there job but new they wanted to eventually climb the chain and what degrees or school helped them reach there goal. My work will pay for my college and i don't have any kids yet so i want to devote as much time as possible to get a good degree before little runs keep me from going.

Old Line Dog
01-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Hello

I am 26 and love my job. I have done line work for the past 6 years and learn something everyday. What exactly IS your "Job" and Title? What have you done in linework...for the past 6 years? Degrees?? Linework? Huh.

US & CA Tramp
01-29-2016, 01:40 PM
What exactly IS your "Job" and Title? What have you done in linework...for the past 6 years? Degrees?? Linework? Huh.

OLD,
Back in our day we didn't need a degree and could still climb to GF, Supervisor, even Manager. Now you can't take a dump without a Degree!! The best job I have ever had was a journeyman lineman, but if the young ones want to move up when their knees and back are shot they will need that piece of paper.

Unfortunately not everybody can retire in the hooks.

splinter
02-01-2016, 09:55 PM
I had a college degree in education but I think 70 degrees helped me more.

SBatts
02-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Hello

I am 26 and love my job. I have done line work for the past 6 years and learn something everyday. I have since listened to a lot of people that are over me that continue to tell me that it is my own fault if I'm not a boss over them one day. With that said they have strong advice for me to get a degree for future. I am in no way wanting to move from were i am but i do now that the future jobs a degree with years of experience can be a huge plus. I am currently enrolled in Bismarck State college and will have a degree with associates in energy technology and i am almost half done with a bachelors in energy management. I was wanting to hear back from people that have been in the same situation that love there job but new they wanted to eventually climb the chain and what degrees or school helped them reach there goal. My work will pay for my college and i don't have any kids yet so i want to devote as much time as possible to get a good degree before little runs keep me from going.

Tell old dog to STFU.

http://www.nietc.org/journeyman.html

duckhunter
02-24-2016, 11:16 AM
Hello

My college background is in business. But what has served me best is being focused on the member. I have worked in the co-op world over 36 years. Too many utilities focus on engineering, in my opinion. The people that seem to be most successful are working hard to take care of the folks behind the meter.

stiffneck
02-25-2016, 09:47 PM
It can't hold you back, but it can move you forward. I have an Associate of Technology in Industrial Electricity/Electronics Technology, from www.ranken.edu (http://www.ranken.edu)
Ranken Technical College dates back to 1909 and continues today, at the same location in St. Louis, Missouri.

loner
02-26-2016, 11:11 AM
the degree that helped me was my masters in bullshitting.tell batts to go fuck himself

Pootnaigle
02-26-2016, 03:19 PM
Ummyes adegree to instantly come up with stuff 3 feet up a bulls asswill be very helpful in this trade

reppy007
02-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Ummyes adegree to instantly come up with stuff 3 feet up a bulls asswill be very helpful in this trade

Never heard that said,but 3 feet is pretty much up there .Those bulls can get mean Poot,so don't be sticking your hand up there.:nightmare: .

Pootnaigle
02-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Umm I dont hafta theres plenty right here

Old Line Dog
02-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Ain't no "degree", gonna help ya worth a shit...bein a Lineman. A Class A CDL is cool though.:D

reppy007
02-26-2016, 11:30 PM
Umm I dont hafta theres plenty right here

I don't know about that.But this Universities promises seem too good to be true,I wonder why?:D:D No I don't :nightmare:....http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/26/politics/donald-trump-university-fraud-trial-republican-debate/index.html

rob8210
02-28-2016, 07:40 AM
My dirt road degree and my hard work degree, helped me along!

Old Line Dog
02-28-2016, 06:00 PM
My dirt road degree and my hard work degree, helped me along!

Yup. Me too.
The school of Hard Knocks degree was a good one too.