PDA

View Full Version : Use of Cordless drill or impact driver on energized lines/bus work

awry1
02-09-2016, 09:02 PM
Hello there,

I'm wondering if anybody has used cordless drills or impact drivers on energized line or substation bus equipment. I've tried searching around for discussions of why not to do this, but am wondering if it has been done.
I can only see some risks from the batteries. I don't see an issue with the motor working if it was magnetically shielded.

Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks!

Pootnaigle
02-09-2016, 09:45 PM
UmmI useda 24v dewalt with no prollems

THE KID
02-09-2016, 10:00 PM
Used Hilti with no problem also.

Pootnaigle
02-10-2016, 12:29 AM
Ibleve any batterypowered tool is ok to use on hot primary

Lineman North Florida
02-10-2016, 10:45 AM
Most of the younger generation uses that stuff where I work, the only problem that I have seen is that a lot of things get over torqued and when you go back to loosen it up, you can go ahead and get you're hacksaw out , because at that point it's to be cut off. You don't see many buckets with one shot tools or squeeze wrench as some call it, just battery powered crimpers.

bobbo
02-12-2016, 07:13 AM
Hello there,

I'm wondering if anybody has used cordless drills or impact drivers on energized line or substation bus equipment. I've tried searching around for discussions of why not to do this, but am wondering if it has been done.
I can only see some risks from the batteries. I don't see an issue with the motor working if it was magnetically shielded.

Please let me know your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks!

seen a pole with 14 services on it. You control your tails better on secondary, and even the primary. Shoes are easy too.
As far as batteries went two months without recharging.

Trouble1
02-12-2016, 10:38 AM
I've seen regular battery powered tools(dewalt 18v, milwaukee etc..) used on 345kv live. We use Husky battery crimp tools on 13.8kv. I bought a 12v impact for secondary connections since I make them so much. I covered the socket and adapter with a heat shrink to insulate the socket just in case. I also drew a line so I could count the turns once it starts to torque down to match the tightness that I give connections by hand.. Don't know if I'm explaining it well, but that's how I make sure it's not too tight or loose without having to check again by hand. I use it on live voltage all the time, no problems.

birdog37
02-13-2016, 10:18 AM
We call them Giddy guns(small impacts 18 volt Dewalts), I would definitely use this.I have 1/2 " 9/16" and 3/4" sockets with the adapters on each one(small adapters I think its 5/16 to 1/2 ") in a small bag on the tool pouch.I leave the 9/16" on all the time.Seems like you use this one most of the time especially on hot taps and smaller dead end shoes.I have 3 tool pouches in the 2 man bucket,2 in the front and one on the right side of the bucket.Two sets of tools along with sharp knives.Seems like your working a lot from these 2 spots,saves from reaching around all the time.The Giddy gun fits in one of the bags.This gun will not break off any stud but as a precautionary always put a bone wrench on to check it when dead ending conductors.Its so light and you can maneuver it great.We use to use the hydraulic gun, the Giddy gun is safer and very manageable.Also they make a magnetic socket for U Guard too that works great for lagging.Removing these lags also is quick.

awry1
02-16-2016, 09:23 AM
Thank you all for replying and including great use cases.
:)

trigger
02-17-2016, 12:52 AM
Thank you all for replying and including great use cases.
:)
Batteries are dc and no second contact