PDA

View Full Version : The new lineman

rob8210
11-09-2018, 06:32 AM
I have been working recently with the newer breed of lineman. Of the bat I do have to say this bunch has a decent attitude. Every one has come up to me and told me “ I have been working mostly dead. I know I have journeyman’s papers but I know very little about live line work.”
They are right, but they are very willing to learn. The problem I am having is their skill level is barely 1st year. For in, recently doing a pole change out, secondary only with 2 underground services in 1 pipe. When transferring the pipe to the new pole, he was just above the top. When I told him to fasten the pipe to the pole , he asks me how he was going to get back down the pole. Of course I tell him to belt around the pipe, he can’t, and has to come all the way to the ground.
This is just one example of the issues I am facing. They are not being taught the basic skills of linework. It’s not their fault. Around here the apprentice programs are run by the companies supporting the local training school. Also the colleges offer pre-apprentice programs. From what I am seeing they are not teaching basic skills, like climbing, coiling up ropes, how to put material together for the lineman in the air, even simple rigging. A lot of the older lineman neither have the time or the patience to retrain these “trained “ lineman.

Are you other fellas out there running into similar issues? How are you coping with it? I should add , that I am a contractor and am expected to make every job pay, so naturally I have been getting some flack over the pace of work.

Sparktrician
11-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Pretty much the same issues. I honestly think the colleges are only interested in the money, graduating them, and going to the next session. At this point all we can do is to keep them out of trouble so they go home every night. Feel lucky that all of yours admit to no experience and are willing to learn. Anyone else have any thoughts to make it easier?

rob8210
11-17-2018, 08:00 PM
Yep all we can do is keep on trying to retrain these guys into proper lineman. I have to say the fellas I am working with are learning and improving every day.