PDA

View Full Version : Digger Derricks

Robbo
02-06-2006, 06:57 AM
Hi Guys and Girls, i have just joined the forum, been on a few times before as guest. I am situated in Australia, and looking for any opinions on the best Digger Derrick to use. We are finding it hard to source equipment in Aus. at the moment, and my boss is looking to import from the States.
I have had alook around on the net and the Altec, Pitman Polecat, or Terex Commander seem to be the most common.
We are mainly doing pole change outs and Trany. changes on Distribution.
I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
02-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey Robbo,
Are you looking for a truck to set in urban area, or rural? Or both? From what size poles are we talking?

Electriceel
02-07-2006, 08:43 PM
Only way to go for your money is Altec.

A few years back Versalift was getting close to having a large digger in production, seen one demoed it would pick up half the world, but it was pricier than the Altec.

md2
02-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Terex Commanders are the ticket. on a center mount the'll set an 80' pole, corner mounts maybe a 75. can hang cans on up to a 55' pole no problem. this the the main digger they've been buying for the last 8 or 9 years.

otpig2
02-09-2006, 12:05 AM
Commander is a great digger on center mount we also Like the remote control
we had two pitmans and are junk compared to commander
Don't know about Altec

Robbo
02-09-2006, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys, been away for a couple of days doing a transmission uplift, havent been up that high for awhile, almost got a nose bleed!!!
Thanks for the opinions, are the Pitmans really that bad? I may have located a Pitman only 100 hours old, last years model, 13t machine. Waiting on pricing.
We are normally only dealing with max. of 18m (55ft) poles, rural and metro.

liledgy
02-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Robbo, for routine distribution work I think a corner mount by Altec with boom tip winch and a bucket can't be beat. With crews getting smaller you cant beat hopping up one step and working the controls(versus a commander center mount). With a boom tip winch you can extend all you want and not worry about lineing off to hold the load( also the need for pole claws that are hanging up on the cable and phone drops). Yes a Commander will extend more and lift more with a drum winch but for most distribution work I prefer a corner mount with a bucket.

42linehand
02-10-2006, 03:53 PM
I would have to say that it would be a personal opinion whether you purchased a corner mount or center mount. I have been on a pole change out distribution crew for the last 6 months and have operated both kinds of diggers. My personal opinion is that I like the center mount much better than the corner mount. You have much more visability while moving the load when you are up higher. It can be a pain in the _ss having to get off while the turet is moved but besides that it is great. It also makes plumming the pole easier. I would recommend trying to use both and then deciding for yourself. Most lineman in my Local prefer the center mount. One recommendation that I could make would be to buy one which has a turret that goes 360 degrees so that you dont twist the hydraulic houses which will end up snapping.

JD426H
02-10-2006, 06:52 PM
I got to operate an Altec rear center mount with wireless remote control a while back. No having to get up and down off the truck was nice,and you can stand and see exactly what you're doing when setting a pole in line.Beats the hell out of having 5 people hollering 10 different things at you at once! It had a small box that hangs around your neck by a strap,and it's not heavy.The control sits in a docking station under the seat after the boom is racked to keep the battery charged,and if the truck is put in gear without it in the docking station.....it kills the motor.That's to keep you from leaving it laying around and running over it when you move the truck!

Sharp new hooks
02-11-2006, 10:42 AM
While your on this subject, does anyone know who makes the digger/ pole setter that is on tracks or what they’re called? It is used as an all terrain and it has an auger and a winch on it. I’ve seen them setting poles with it so there is at least one out there. If anyone knows anything about them please let me know.

Electriceel
02-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Altec will make you one.

ebes
02-12-2006, 08:55 PM
New Hooks, Our company has what your talking about. The machine is made by Bombadier (made in Canada). Track vehicle with a Terex Commander boom. Digger, boom tip winch and insulated bucket attachment. This thing is the cats ass!!

csd415
09-29-2006, 11:22 AM
I have kind of an off the topic question. Does anyone know if there is a digger derrick with a pole guide tip that toggles between the upper and intermediate boom automatically? Its kind of a pain to have to get down and pull the pin every time (It would be a lot easier to just push a button).

electric squirrel
09-29-2006, 08:59 PM
F.M.C company makes 'em, thats what we call 'em too, at least out here in Ca.I used one at Mountian Power, it basicaly worked like a dozer, but had a digger set up on it also.E.S. :cool:

Husker apprentice
09-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Our district sets 35 class 5 to 65 class 2, we use mainly altec, Right now we are looking at replacing one of our old diggers, An altec with a 42 foot boom, with remote, that would be a international chassis cost was $179,000.

In my opinion, remote is the only way to go, no more yelling in, out, gut up-down, you can be right there. With in one month, you will be as smooth or smoother than on the seat! Plus when needed, you can still do some hot work out of it!