PDA

View Full Version : Accident

L W BLANKENSHIP
03-28-2006, 10:27 AM
Did any one hear of a accident in Kansas City yesterday 03-27-2006 .Heard on the news some lineman fill. but can not find any thing else about it. it was from a high line .
LWB USE TO BE LINEMAN RETIRED

L W BLANKENSHIP
03-28-2006, 11:59 AM
Young lineman from Hutchinson KS fell to his deaf clipping in a line out of a bucket . did not have his safety snapped in but had it on. working for a contractor.

lightningrod
03-28-2006, 10:22 PM
So sad to hear of the loss of another brother, not one lineman among us can ever say he never went aloft and forget to snap his harness at least once.

Koga
03-29-2006, 06:34 AM
If you could provide some details or a link with more info I sure would appreciate it. We can all learn something from these post.

Koga

rusty
03-29-2006, 07:00 AM
Our prayers are with all!

L W BLANKENSHIP
03-29-2006, 08:12 AM
Adam Egbert, following in his father's footsteps, was an apprentice lineman with PAR Electrical Contractors for a little more than a year.

The 27-year-old Nickerson High School graduate was killed Monday, his first day on the job at a coal-fired generating station in La Cygne, in Linn County. Egbert was in a gondola that fell nearly 100 feet, according to the Linn County Sheriff's Office.

Egbert was working on a project at the plant involving a 345,000-volt transmission line, said John Colson, CEO of Quanta Services, which lists PAR Electrical Contractors as a subsidiary. Westar and Kansas City Power & Light jointly own the energy plant.

Colson said the initial investigation shows Egbert's death resulted from the fall and not from electrical contact.

:mad:

thrasher
03-29-2006, 01:30 PM
LW
Could you please clarify exactly what happened. The first post indicated the young man fell out of a bucket. The last post reads like the whole gondola fell. Which is it (if you know)? Either way my sympathies are with the family.

dirtdobber
03-29-2006, 10:03 PM
felt for him and his family every where I am sure. the only thing bothers me is your statement was working for a contractor not all contractors are unsafe!! :confused:

loadbreak55
03-30-2006, 07:53 PM
My thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family of our fallen brother . :(

Viperexaf
03-30-2006, 08:24 PM
prayers go out to the family, i'm just curious as to where the foreman and the other journeyman linemen was or if there was one that went up with him. If there was someone else with him then wasn't the apprentice double checked to make sure his safety gear was hooked up. Just a thought, not tryin to rattle anyones cages or anything

Bull Dog
03-30-2006, 08:53 PM
Go ahead viper rattle some cages cant hurt.

Ghostrider
03-31-2006, 09:54 AM
I would assume from the news account that he was in a spacer cart. I also assume that they were doing everthing right it his Dad is quoted as saying it was an accident. Perhaps we need to say a prayer for his family and quit trying to blame some one. My thoughts are with the Adam, his family and the men on the project. I can only imagine the hurt they must be feeling.

LA CYGNE, Kan. - An apprentice lineman working at a coal-fired generating plant was killed when his gondola fell almost 100 feet, authorities said.

Adam Egbert, 27, had been with PAR Electrical Contractors for a little more than one year. He was working Monday at the plant - jointly owned by Westar Energy and Kansas City Power & Light - when the accident occurred, the Linn County Sheriff's Office said.

It was Egbert's first day on the job at the plant. He was working on a project involving a 345,000-volt transmission line, company officials said.

"He was up doing his job, and just a freak accident is all it is," said his father, Brian Egbert, also a lineman.

PAR is listed as a subsidiary of Quanta Services. John Colson, Quanta's chief executive officer of Quanta Services, said the initial investigation showed that the fall - and not any contact with electricity - killed Egbert.

The federal Occupational and Safety Health Administration has been notified of the accident.

BigClive
03-31-2006, 04:20 PM
If it was one of the little trolleys that rides along the wires, then I've always been suspicious that they dont look like they have much stopping them from popping off the lines.

http://www.powerlineman.com/pictures/2005/february/boulay/boulay.htm

I don't think shifting the centre of gravity up helps either......

lightningrod
04-02-2006, 10:01 PM
From what I found is he fell when they were moving the spacer cart from one side of the deadend to the other, how he fell or if something broke I don't know the details ( can anyone find anymore info ).

I helped build a 345kv line in 1993 and we used those spacer carts to install the preformed spacers and found they were quit safe, ours had a safety chain going from the frame up to and snapped to the inside of each trolly wheel frame thus encircling the wire on all four corners so there was no way for it to come off. (i notice no such protection on the spacer cart in your pic Big Clive.

JustClimbIt
04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Looks like there is some type of safety chain in the last picture...but that still won't help much if you arent wearing full fall protection!!! none of the three idiots are in that picture...ignorence...or just peer stupidity. :confused:

lightningrod
04-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Looks like there is some type of safety chain in the last picture...but that still won't help much if you arent wearing full fall protection!!! none of the three idiots are in that picture...ignorence...or just peer stupidity. :confused:
I see the chain there now, thanks JustClimbIt. We have to wear a full body harness (hooked at all times) under a climbing belt and when moving from one location to another we double belt, ( main safetyand then retractable).

Trampbag
04-03-2006, 01:04 PM
You also need to notice that the lineman’s pole strap is around the conductor, as it should be. The spacer buggy could fall free and the lineman would be still hanging from the conductor, safe. Most all accidents noted on this site indicate lack of training and experience.

Another senseless “accident” where the surviving family is ultimately the ones to suffer.

By the way both PAR and Poltelco (see Washington State accident on this site) are Quanta Services subsidiary companies.

Trampbag@hotmail.com

Ghostrider
05-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I heard at yesterdays tailboard that the young man was in the spacer cart which the crew was lowering from the conductor with a crane. The cart came undone from the hook and both the cart and the young man fell to the ground. Can anyone confirm this, or is this just another fabricated story?