PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooter

ts94
05-03-2006, 06:05 PM
A pseg troubleshooter was thrown out of his bucket on Monday He broke his leg in 2 places and his pelvis,also broke 3 virtabrate Co. is doing thair investagation and is pretty closed lip right now. This is only 6 months after we lost a troubleman to the same type of accident. I hope my fellow brothers will start to buckle up.

graybeard
05-03-2006, 09:30 PM
You got anymore details you can give out like the type of truck. Liftall Altec squirt or elbow. And are you guys using waist belts or a full body harness?

ts94
05-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Both of these accidents happened with 2 different trucks, I'll try to find out wich ones when I go in tonight, The first one got hung up in a tree, the tree branch broke and slung the man out. No Harrness on, as for the second the co. is not saying anything and I don't want to speculate. We are supposed to be wareing a body harrness

ts94
05-09-2006, 09:28 PM
One truck was a High Ranger the other was Altec. Bottom line a harness may have saved a lot of tears. Lets all send a prayer out to Mark tonight

Orgnizdlbr
05-10-2006, 08:19 AM
Jeez, 2 guys basically the same accident, what a shame. Prayers for him and his family. I work at the adjacent utility...wonder why we havent heard of this one.....

duckhunter
05-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Seems like we need to say prayers that people start following safety rules, and that companies start holding people accountable if they dont follow them.

SaltyNJ
05-11-2006, 12:56 PM
The company holds the wrong people accountable. They screw the wrong guys just like the last time this happened, an innocent TS got bent over. Poor guy got a final for doing nothing wrong. The company had no proof but still humped the guy. The Union really showed their solidarity and strength on that one. NOT ! They are on the hunt for someone right now. I will still say a prayer for him and his family though.

duckhunter
05-11-2006, 02:05 PM
We don't know all that happened in this case, but if we know the employee was not wearing a harness as is required, discipline would be the right thing to do.

SaltyNJ
05-11-2006, 06:53 PM
We don't know all that happened in this case, but if we know the employee was not wearing a harness as is required, discipline would be the right thing to do.

You may not know what happened but some of us do. Every uncomfortable detail including why trucks are getting GPS alot sooner than previously thought.

EnlightenedRogue
05-12-2006, 08:25 PM
And besides maybe some junior members should remember to keep their mouths shut. A lost art.

old lineman
05-12-2006, 10:23 PM
I feel bad for the worker/s who got or gets injured. Everyone knows the rules and whenever in a position where a fall in a possibility (not a likelyhood) fall protection in mandatory.
When workers take chances they are looking at fate and defying it. It's that old human nature thing. It won't happen to me, and it doesn't to most risk takers but every now and then somebody pays a big price for defiance.
When on a forum like this we're actually hearing about the fate of ten's of thousands of people. Many linemen have never seen it but you hear about it.
Why do we have to experience pain personally or see it before we believe it.
Damn it the stoves hot! Why do you have to touch it? Why can we just accept the rules and stop playing daredevil.
Another thing.
I really don't think the company or the government should go to the poor slug that's injured and say you damn fool your going to pay for this. He's already paying BIG TIME.
They should go after management for not creating a culture where safety isn't questioned but is accepted. They should also go after the immediate supervisor because that's where the rubber meets the road.
If the supervisor wouldn't turn a blind eye or encourage such outrageous behaviour it wouldn't happen.
Workers aren't stupid but some take risks and some get hurt. Supervisors are just that, they supervise. When something isn't right their job is to make it right.
Amen.
The Old Linemen

Ghostrider
05-13-2006, 03:47 PM
old lineman - We are the culture and if we do not take control of it how can managment? If we allow the people that we work with to not work safe who is at fault?? When someone is wrong why should we lack the courage to tell them? Why is it that they become so defensive? We have too many dead heros and no one is listening to the lessons they have paid so dearly with their lives.

Trampbag
05-13-2006, 05:19 PM
I’ll tell you why, if someone sees something wrong and actually tells a supervisor one of two things are going to happen;

1. It’ll get ignored and you’re the asshole according to the supervisor.

2. Something will get done and you’re the asshole according to your peers.

That’s the culture of this trade. Until there is a change in the attitude this carnage will continue.

How many times have we witnessed something wrong, like a worker continually going aloft without fall arrest, and been told to shut the hell up?

old lineman
05-13-2006, 08:45 PM
old lineman - We are the culture and if we do not take control of it how can managment? If we allow the people that we work with to not work safe who is at fault?? When someone is wrong why should we lack the courage to tell them? Why is it that they become so defensive? We have too many dead heros and no one is listening to the lessons they have paid so dearly with their lives.

Yes you are the culture but you can't shove a rope up hill.
If management doesn't support those amonst their work force who want to follow good work practices then those who raise an issue are always tagged as the rebel rouser or a trouble maker.
Management has to believe in safety and everything will flow down from there.
Once management declares, believes and demonstrates that safety is #1 supervisors will be held accountable.
When they know where they stand and management backs them up with action, they in turn can speak with authority.
When management isn't truly and firmly behind their supervisors they become wishy washy and turn a blind eye to what they know is wrong.
When an accident happens (and as we can see they do), they blame the worker or say they didn't see it happen.
Or they say they told the SOB and he wouldn't listen.
You've heard that crock right here on this site.
No more crap the buck stops at the immediate supervisor. The supervisor has the authority to make things happen.
You can't have authority without responsibility, the two go together like a glove and a hand.
That's what I've seen anyway.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
05-13-2006, 08:56 PM
I’ll tell you why, if someone sees something wrong and actually tells a supervisor one of two things are going to happen;

1. It’ll get ignored and you’re the asshole according to the supervisor.

2. Something will get done and you’re the asshole according to your peers.

That’s the culture of this trade. Until there is a change in the attitude this carnage will continue.

How many times have we witnessed something wrong, like a worker continually going aloft without fall arrest, and been told to shut the hell up?

Your statement is the way it is but it's not right.
It brings to mind an accident I know about.
Two linemen were sent out to do a job. Lineman 'A' and Lineman 'B'.
Both are fully qualified.
Lineman 'A' has a good nature and Lineman 'B' is a dick.
Lineman 'B' is working the primary out of a bucket. He knows he's supposed to cover up and create a safe work zone but doesn't.
Lineman 'A' sees the error in his ways and says nothing. The reason is that in the past when he suggested something Lineman 'B' chewed him out.
So he stood there with his mouth shut and a fatal contact was made.
Everbody has a choice whether they'll accept suggestions or not. When you think you are so smart that no one can make a suggestion your headed for trouble.
I never met a worker who couldn't learn something from somebody else. The perfect lineman has never been seen.
The Old Lineman

Lizzy Borden
05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
Bottom line is OSHA recordables and the bosses will not get their big bonus. They push the lineman to the brink, when one slips up the finger pointing starts. We had a signal one a few weeks ago leaving one still in the hospital for a few weeks.

I wish someone would realize what the hell is going on in the electric industry before more people are hurt.

They are firing people in NJ for a backing accident I wish him the best.

thrasher
05-15-2006, 10:07 AM
Safety has to be paid attention to by the crew all the time. As someone has already pointed out everyone has forgotten something sometime, that's what the rest of the crew is for. Remind the man to clip his harness to the truck, remind him to put his gloves back on when he has swung the bucket out of the work zone to get a drink or to rinse out his gloves. Yes management has to believe in and support safety also. Where I work safety is a concern, and I have reprimanded and given people time off for violating safety. But you know what, when I was in the union I got time off for my screwup. This is an unforgiving business that you have to pay attention to what is happening here and now, all the time. I have always believed and still do that the biggest user of time on getting a job done is not safety rules but people standing around trying to figure out what to do next. If you know what you are doing and make the safety steps habit you can get just as much work done as a crew that takes shortcuts to make up for the time they stand around talking about the job.