PDA

View Full Version : Insulators

Hemingray Insulators
05-04-2006, 05:19 PM
here are some recent photos of PART of my collection, which is going to be published in the insulator collectors Magazine "crown jewels of the wire" along with an article I wrote. well, anyhow hers some pics, the "colored" insulators like cobalt blue, orange carnival, olive amber, orange amber, red amber and red amber, are worth a lot of $$$$. I like the window shelves I built. also, big clive you can see some of the leds I installed under the insulators, it is a sight to see at night lol.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P4290125.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P4290126.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P4290122.jpg

Hemingray Insulators
05-04-2006, 05:43 PM
heres some more.
hope ya don't mind the stereo wire on insulators on the wall, just had to display insulators in use somehow, and the Cat5 cble for the LEDs lol, and for reference that huge insulator on the left in the 3r4 pic is 12" high and 9" across.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P4290121.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P5030136.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P5030134.jpg

Hemingray Insulators
05-04-2006, 05:48 PM
this first picture is all stuff I dug up at the old Hemingray factory dump in Muncie indiana, and they are quite very rare.
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P5030131.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P5030139.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Insulators/P5030138.jpg

Hemingray Insulators
05-04-2006, 05:58 PM
heres just some fun stuff.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/power%20lines/transformers.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/power%20lines/transformers001.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/power%20lines/100_0240.jpg
this last phot is of a friend in austrailia who is on this site.

Squizzy
05-05-2006, 06:04 AM
Hi Hemingray,
Good to see you back posting, you have some good insulators there. I will have to tell Dave to behave when he has a picture taken, speak to you soon.

BigClive
05-05-2006, 10:36 AM
Hey I thought you Aussie guys were supposed to have corks hanging around your hats. :) (Very practical hats by the way. But then I guess they have to be.)

So whatcha been doin' Hemingray. You've been rather quiet.

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 04:14 PM
well, I've been busy, with school, and stuff. I've also been working on a few Highvoltage projects, trying to finish Nikola Teslas work or the wireless transmit of FREE energy. and, for spring break I went to gulfport mississippi with my youuth group to help with hurricane cleanup/ rebuild. did some electric work, we painted a house, cleaned out a ladys yard, found an insulator, when I went to shoot a pic of the train met a few guys from the powerco there (misissippi power). i Still gotta post those pics, put shelve on my wall to beable to display more insulators, I still have about 2000 that aren't on display due to lack of room, and thats about it. oh, and on a sad note, My Girlfriend's mom is moving her back to Tampa Florida where she was born, as thats where the rest of her family is, and she's going to college there, and that really sucks, cuz she wants to stay here with me lol. But I there are some people that want me to work for progress, and some people that want me for FPL, along with a LOT of other places of people I know on another lineman forum. I got about 4 companies that want me in Michigan, got Haverfield that wants me, thats the helicopter/transmission work company, got a operations manager that wants me in california, got a company in texas that wants me, Life is good lol. so perhaps I will move to florida, if our relationship lasts the 2 years that I have left of school, cuz she told me she wanted to marry me........

Mike-E
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
that's a really cool collection there Hemi. I just got my first hemingray the other day. It's a number 16, green. Looks like you've got a hundred of them. Keep up the good work.

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 07:39 PM
that's a really cool collection there Hemi. I just got my first hemingray the other day. It's a number 16, green. Looks like you've got a hundred of them. Keep up the good work.

Thanks, your sure it's a hemingray 16? they are phone insulators, not power. Could you show a pic?

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 08:04 PM
I guess I was wrong, life aint good, other than today, when I got punched by a black kid with an attitude problem, for no reason at all (he got suspended :D ) I thought today was a good day. then I go out back to build a riser pole, to build a span to my line, because grandma don't want the 4 copperwelds that I twisted into quadraplex srung from insulators in the treerow to where it turns URD at the base of a tree about 10' from the "other" riser pole, I put a pole back into the same hole I just pulled one out of last fall, cuz she made me move it (remember that :rolleyes: :mad: ) she says it cant go there cuz she don't want wire strung across the yard, so I told her it was going to be Pole, or the yard is goin to be dug up, which she didn't want either, so I got kind pissed and started throwing tools across the yard, Ie shovel, hammer, wrench etc. so, after explaining her 2 options she refuse I said pick one, other wise my line won't have any power, and she says she diddn't care if it didn't have power, then she complains the poles already up are too tall at 10', make them 5 feet, so she can electricute herself walkin in the yard? i don't think so. so then, I build a bonfire of all the sticks from the yard in "My Corner" as its about 50'x50' of nothing but dirt, where I'm working on a substation I was puting in, and then she yells at me for doing that. She just don't get it. My poles are my life. I already don't have any friends except for linemen and my girlfriend, who I probably won't have much longer, everyone has picked on me since 2nd grade for collecting insulators and wanting to be a lineman, so it's been8 years I've put up with this sh!t, and what really makes me mad, is all the girls I've ever like (besides my girlfriend) hasn't hated me, until I told them I like them, cuz they just can't be friends with someone that wants to be a lineman and collects insulators cuz it's they are dumb@$$s. I know, I've got to have tough skin to be a lineman, well beleive me, I DO, but I'm getting sick and tired of it, 8 years is enough, and it's not just a few people, it's everysingle person at school that knows me, plus students at other schools, other than my girlfriend and linemen. Thus My poles ARE MY LIFE, its the only thing that keeps me happy. ya, my Girlfriend makes me happy, but it's just not enough. ok, I'm done venting. now ya all know ALL about my life.

dirtdobber
05-05-2006, 08:20 PM
calm down we have all had our share of troubles hell Im 5"6 still get shit. most lineman have a red mark on their bellys from leaning out mines on my chest. just remember follow your dream be a lineman stay alive when these kids get older they will want to be your friend especially when the power is out. not to mention the great life you will lead they will be jealous of you. :)

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 08:30 PM
calm down we have all had our share of troubles hell Im 5"6 still get shit. most lineman have a red mark on their bellys from leaning out mines on my chest. just remember follow your dream be a lineman stay alive when these kids get older they will want to be your friend especially when the power is out. not to mention the great life you will lead they will be jealous of you. :)

this isn't just once in a while, it's EVERYDAY. haha hahah, will they wish they hadn't treated me the way they had, cuz they'll be the last ones on lol, whos got the POWER now lol :D .

dirtdobber
05-05-2006, 08:42 PM
its everyday I get shit about being 5"6 not just every once in a while. biggest problem is Im their supervisor but we joke and mess with each other aint just 1 either. got 30 of em but you know have come to find that when the shit hits the fan these guys will bend over backward for me (no punn intended) at the end of our week I normally buy the COLD BEER!!

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 08:46 PM
its everyday I get shit about being 5"6 not just every once in a while. biggest problem is Im their supervisor but we joke and mess with each other aint just 1 either. got 30 of em but you know have come to find that when the shit hits the fan these guys will bend over backward for me (no punn intended) at the end of our week I normally buy the COLD BEER!!

YOU THE MAN,
it aint so with the people that give me crap. at least not yet.....

dirtdobber
05-05-2006, 09:02 PM
things are not always that bad you got a girlfriend you got a roof over your head think for a minute if you will about the homeless people with kids out there. you seem like a bright young man dont get discouraged their are always someone who has it worse out there. hell at 1 time I couldnt even afford the hamburger for the helper so I called it helper. got thrown out of my parents house at 15 been on my own ever since work for everything I have. now married with 6 kids oldest is 20. he works for a utility contractor and doing pretty good. out on his own now boy at the money Im saving. hey I have a very old lightning arrester that is clear glass everything still intact if I can get a pic. of it will post it.

Hemingray Insulators
05-05-2006, 10:13 PM
things are not always that bad you got a girlfriend you got a roof over your head think for a minute if you will about the homeless people with kids out there. you seem like a bright young man dont get discouraged their are always someone who has it worse out there. hell at 1 time I couldnt even afford the hamburger for the helper so I called it helper. got thrown out of my parents house at 15 been on my own ever since work for everything I have. now married with 6 kids oldest is 20. he works for a utility contractor and doing pretty good. out on his own now boy at the money Im saving. hey I have a very old lightning arrester that is clear glass everything still intact if I can get a pic. of it will post it.
it might be made by hemingray, so i'd have to see a pic to be sure, because they didn't mark all of theirs, and Pyrex also made them too. if it's a hemingray, my specialty, I might want it lol.

dirtdobber
05-05-2006, 10:32 PM
hang tite things will get better. I bet that there are other lineman that are on this site that will be willing to tell you how tough thet have had it besides myself.

Squizzy
05-05-2006, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=BigClive]Hey I thought you Aussie guys were supposed to have corks hanging around your hats. :) (Very practical hats by the way. But then I guess they have to be.)

Corks are more annoying than the flies, but some areas especially around Bullsbrook,Bindoon and Gingin in summer you have no choice but to wear a fly net. That is unless you want the flies that eat and breed in cow sh!t crawling over your face....

Mike-E
05-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Thanks, your sure it's a hemingray 16? they are phone insulators, not power. Could you show a pic?

yeah, it is a phone insulator that was not being used anymore. nice call though, man you really know your stuff.

don't worry about idots that like to hit. you can take that all day long and not have to hit back. that just proves you are the better man.

Hemingray Insulators
05-06-2006, 08:08 AM
yeah, it is a phone insulator that was not being used anymore. nice call though, man you really know your stuff.

don't worry about idots that like to hit. you can take that all day long and not have to hit back. that just proves you are the better man.

Thanks
is it the type with the shallow wiregroove about the size of a #6 or is it the type with the deep square wiregroove? the narrow ones are older, but not really worth more, is this an aqua, or a bright 7-up green? the aquas are only $1-2 but the 7up greens (only found on the widegroove version) is worth $30-40.

Mike-E
05-06-2006, 09:29 PM
i would say it is the aqua type with the shallow grove. I just liked it, so I snagged it. I guess I have a few other old insulators that I thought looked cool. I got a johnny ball for 20k guy wire that is huge, and kind of star shaped. I'm sure it's not worth anything, but I thought it was neat.

BigClive
05-07-2006, 02:18 PM
Corks are more annoying than the flies, but some areas especially around Bullsbrook,Bindoon and Gingin in summer you have no choice but to wear a fly net. That is unless you want the flies that eat and breed in cow sh!t crawling over your face....

You make it sound so glamorous. :)

I've been discovering that quite a few of my Internet buddies seem to be in Perth. Is there something special about the place that attracts technically minded people? I didn't realise just how European the place is either. I might pop over next year and have a closer look. (Nobody's had a bad thing to say about the place yet.)

dirtdobber
05-07-2006, 06:21 PM
sort of looks like you should be able to hold your own with the boy that hit you! I also have a #4 to #4 open wire secondary splice if you collect things p.m. me with an p.o.box Ill get it to you. this is a copper sleeve type splice that I believe was westinghouse that made them. your 2 ends were fed through the sleeve and then twisted with a machine.

dbrown20
05-07-2006, 07:11 PM
I've used some of them. The machine was a lineman or 2 linemen twisting the handles of the tool and giving the sleeve a certain number of twists. Can't remember how many twists though. One tool on one side and one on the other. dbrown20

dirtdobber
05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
not to sound like an ass but how :) long ago would that have been.MR BROWN?

altecworker
05-07-2006, 07:44 PM
hey, i've caught shit my whole life for my hobby.

Hemingray already knows what it is, but here ya go.

I restore Antique Desk/Ceiling fans, and collect fans from the 60's- early 90s.

You think you've gotten FLAK for it, lord. My whole family thinks i'm nutz, LOL

dbrown20
05-07-2006, 08:37 PM
not to sound like an ass but how :) long ago would that have been.MR BROWN?

I think about 1975 or 76. dbrown20

Squizzy
05-08-2006, 03:47 AM
You make it sound so glamorous. :)

I've been discovering that quite a few of my Internet buddies seem to be in Perth. Is there something special about the place that attracts technically minded people? I didn't realise just how European the place is either. I might pop over next year and have a closer look. (Nobody's had a bad thing to say about the place yet.)

Yes there is alot of European's over here in particular are those from the UK. We have a massive resources boom at the moment and require 1000's more trades people to fill the vacant positions both in Perth and reginal towns not to mention minesite work. The majority of mines are varying fly in fly out rosters and really good camp facilities and plenty $$$ about $120k p/a for a sparky depending on where and what roster and experience. If you have instrumentation and PLC experience even better it pretty hard to be unemployed here at the moment.....

BigClive
05-08-2006, 03:25 PM
hey, i've caught shit my whole life for my hobby.

Hemingray already knows what it is, but here ya go.

I restore Antique Desk/Ceiling fans, and collect fans from the 60's- early 90s.

You think you've gotten FLAK for it, lord. My whole family thinks i'm nutz, LOL

That sounds normal next to my huge collection of coveralls with company logo's on them! Been collecting them since I was a kid. You'd think that at 41 I'd have grown out of it by now. I tend to get issued with quite a few coveralls (boilersuits) as I sub my way from company to company.

(Truth be known, the coveralls and their logo might even be the reason I choose to do work with a company!)

dirtdobber
05-08-2006, 06:10 PM
it was you I was looking at. my older bro. was a navy seal and not much bigger than you a little taller maybe 5-11 but not to broad in the sholders it aint the size its the HEART. :)

riverhog14
05-08-2006, 10:58 PM
Ok man I read the "venting" post and just want to tell ya something. You know an unbelievable ammount about this trade for your age. You have alot of potential, and are ready to go for your dream. But, your only a sophmore. Your girlfriends leaving for tampa. These next 2 years, try to enjoy them. Yeah your life may be linework, but your still a kid. I think you should try to be a kid for 2 more years THEN tackle your job. Find some kids you think are ok and go have fun with them. Take a good break from the back yard and enjoy your last 2 years of high school.