PDA

View Full Version : Cool Idea

old horseman
05-06-2006, 04:29 PM
The lineman I work with are pretty ingenius with pulling ideas out of thin air so I thought I would throw this out here for comments. I have an oiled fired furnance and an old house that cost me $4500 this winter to heat. I am going to buy an outdoor forced air wood burning stove. I have 53 acres of woods so fuel for the stove won't be a problem. The stove requires circulating water pump that runs all the time the stove is burning. The pump draws 1.2 amps and the forced air blower motor (only runs when told to by the thermostat) draws 3 amps. I figure National Greed will get about $30 a extra a month from me. Unless heres the cool part I take an old barn fan attach it to a shaft with a big v pulley wheel and run a belt down to an old car altenator connect the alt. to a voltage regulator then connect the regulator to a deep cycle gell cell 12v battery, connect the battery to 5000w car invertor and attach cord plugs to the 2 motors so the are powered off my make shift windmill. Pretty cool idea??? I just like the Idea of stiffing N.G out of $30 a month revenue.

BigClive
05-07-2006, 02:28 PM
The load of the pump and blower aren't really that high. I think that if you try to build an "alternative power" system you'll find it costs a lot more than just plugging the gear into the mains.

That's the worst thing about free power. It's so expensive. :)

Now if you weren't on the grid......

the hammer
05-21-2006, 01:27 AM
You just made $30/month sound cheap ha. Hey keep thinking that way though, whatever it takes to not burn oil sounds good to me.