PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to go ?

stickstomper
05-07-2006, 06:16 PM
Need a little friendly advice, would you quit your lineman job after 25 years and move on to someplace else ? The management sucks where I am at now and I really dont even care for the people I work with. Same sh*t everyday , day in and day out. Everybody bitchin about something , safety taken lightly and no communication with the upper levels. Also job planning is just a big cluster f*ck, cant get the right equipment and have to raise hell to get a few tools. If this is common let me know and I will tuff it out. If not there must be better places to go !

dirtdobber
05-07-2006, 06:30 PM
looks like you got enough time in to ret. from them and just not quit. but I think Id take the ret. and my drag bag and move on. us contractors need more exp. workers we bring guys in then they learn a little bit go to another cont. tell them there A class lineman then there gone. the answer to the problem with that would be the other contr. to call pevious employer but the GOV. has your hands tied in what info you are able to say. :)

Patriot
05-07-2006, 06:45 PM
Hey maybe try another outfit! I got 24 years, three outfits, and I am ready to quit, tired of corporate BS,tired of the opposite of you, to much safety shit! Can't get any work done. But the money is to good and I am hanging on for 9 more years then to hell with it. 24 years, 300 to 500 hours ot every year, stand by's all the time, late nights and cold winters, I have had enough to, but the money is hard to give up. I just change my attitude, and am learning to roll with the flow! No true pride left, all the crews are getting old, no one under 40. Oh well!

dbrown20
05-07-2006, 07:13 PM
Man I always liked starting a new job. Couldn't wait to see how they did stuff in other places. Most people don't like change but I do. Usually get bored on most jobs in about 6 months. Gotta stick this time, close to retirement. dbrown20

Trampbag
05-07-2006, 09:21 PM
As a Journeyman Lineman you have the best of all worlds today. All the choice is yours.

You can tough it out.

You can remain living in your local area but work in a high yield area like California for a few months at a time, they are screaming for tradesmen.

You can move anywhere you want and still find work.

Life as a lineman is one hell of a lot better than 25 years ago when you couldn’t buy a job and had to stay where you were.

co lineman
05-07-2006, 10:46 PM
where in Colorado are you? Us contractors here in the state always need help and 5 years you are vested here..Might be close to home also?

old lineman
05-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Need a little friendly advice, would you quit your lineman job after 25 years and move on to someplace else ? The management sucks where I am at now and I really dont even care for the people I work with. Same sh*t everyday , day in and day out. Everybody bitchin about something , safety taken lightly and no communication with the upper levels. Also job planning is just a big cluster f*ck, cant get the right equipment and have to raise hell to get a few tools. If this is common let me know and I will tuff it out. If not there must be better places to go !

You know Stickstomper we used to go around putting on safety shows for linemen. To slip in a little fun with a message we used sit down and everyone would say you won't believe it but this happened to me. Someone else would come with another wild story.
When we were done we had the craziest script for our skit that you could imagine.
When the public finally got to see it, it was a hoot.
What made us laugh the most is that we actually received some letters complaining that we were making fun of their utility. They were actually mad at us. I mean we took everyting situation and made unbelieveably stupid to make a point and they thought we were using them.
The point is, no matter where you go you can jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Seems that very few are happy with their lot in life.
Turn the shit out and 'be happy', life's too short and remember, you can run but you can't hide.
The Old Lineman

Electriceel
05-07-2006, 11:19 PM
Stick if you can, hang in there, you surely have some good times there along with some friends.

Here management is a pain, and it sounds like that is all over.
Usually the bitching is started by the same people, maybe it is time for them to get out if it is that bad.
I have 20 years in, with 17 of them at the same utility, I will admit it used to be better, now my biggest problem is with the young apes, they have no pride in their work, are smart asses, but then when they need something is when they come running with their tail dragging.

I have tried to tell myself, just let the crap flow.
Where would you go, at our age anyway?

PERRY KEATON
05-08-2006, 08:50 AM
As a Journeyman Lineman you have the best of all worlds today. All the choice is yours.

You can tough it out.

You can remain living in your local area but work in a high yield area like California for a few months at a time, they are screaming for tradesmen.

You can move anywhere you want and still find work.

Life as a lineman is one hell of a lot better than 25 years ago when you couldn’t buy a job and had to stay where you were.

PRETTY MUCH ALL THE SAME, THE ONLY THING THAT
CHANGES IS THE NAME ON THE PAYCHECK.
WORKED FOR 10 CONTRACTORS LAST YEAR

LostArt
05-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Sounds like you are ready for a new horizons Stick! Go for it buddy! The boss did after 22 yrs in one company. Best decision/move he ever made!

And ya never know, might be more interesting! :D

CenterPointEX
07-24-2006, 03:28 AM
Any more... its same Sh@t differant place...