PDA

View Full Version : Working in the rain

NJlineman55
05-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Just curious how most of your companies handle working in the rain. I know everywhere I have worked, when it rains you stop working but today it was a steady light rain and the working foreman told me I could either wrap it up and stop working or finish the day (it was after lunch about 12:45). The other crew with us were setting poles, I was dojng primary work, so they said they didn't care but if I left I was gonna be docked 4 hours of the 10 hour work day. How does it work in your local and what do you think about my situation today. Thanks ahead for your replies.

Bull Dog
05-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I think you are entitled by your ibew contract to a 40hr week. When it rains we just tell the boss man we aint gonna work in it. Some sucky boys will work in the rain but thats the way it always is everywere. They want to show how dedicated they are. They cant send us home so we go to the shop and clean the truck or what ever needs to be done. Emergency all rules dont apply. This is for routine work only. Now the boss man really thinks your great if you work in the rain till you get hurt doin it! Then your a dumb ass worthy of some punishment. I think most shops leave it to the men on the crew to decide if its raining or not. Some will quit when one drop hits the windshield. Nothing worse than getting caught in a sudden down pour after you just tore everything apart. I guess its just using your head and playing it smart.

ts94
05-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Who do you work for? At pseg we don't do work in the rain,emrgency work only. Pole setting, driving a ground rod, removing dead wire, all considerd normal work. If the puddles are dancing we are sitting. I'm a trouble shooter, I wish my local would tell me what is emrgency and what is rutine. All say a prayer for Mark Rossman tonight I think he is going to need it. For those of you who don't know Mark was tossed out of a bucket a week ago and is still in ICU. Please buckle up ub the bucket.

42linehand
05-10-2006, 08:21 PM
By rule my union doesnt work in the rain. But if we do work in the rain we are paid at a rate of double time. If we are in the middle of lets say transferring a pole we will then make the pole/line safe and then sit it out. If it is raining in the morning then we get a 2 hr show up and if we leave the yard we get a min of 4 hrs. This applies to any work and if it is raining we are supposed to get doubletime. I work for a contractor and that is in our contract. If you choose to work in the yard that is on you at straight time unless specified but is strongly advised that you only work in it at doubletime.

Squizzy
05-11-2006, 05:15 AM
We will work in the rain as after years of crap rain gear they finally got us some good gortex wet weather gear. The gear was trialled and performed very well as the last few years the sh!t we had would start leaking within 10 minutes out of the box, and to top it off the membrane would disintergrate and rebond to exposed skin, requiring a scrub to remove. The rest would all flake off and you would end up looking like a lamington.

NS Lineman
05-11-2006, 06:00 AM
WE only work in the rain when they (the company ) pays double the regular rate of pay . Sunday and saturday usually gets us 4 times your rate .

harley
05-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Squizzy what is a lamington?

Squizzy
05-11-2006, 10:37 AM
A lamington is a piece of sponge cake which is coated in a chocolate sauce then covered in desicated (shredded/shaved) coconut. Sounds like i should go work in Queensland when its raining on a public holiday though!

BigClive
05-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Yeah. At those rates you'd actually WANT it to rain at the weekend. :)

I bet the Gore-tex clothing was suggested by the British lineys. It's used extensively by the utility companies here, and the heavy industrial stuff is superb. I use a pair of high waist, hi-vis Gore-tex utility trousers when I'm doing outdoor work and they are incredible. Heavy enough to protect and you just don't get clammy in them at all. not sure how it would be in scorching hot Australian sunshine though.

This is what they look like during a tea break. :)

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/work1.jpg

dirtdobber
05-11-2006, 08:22 PM
it aint never rained on my crew. so when a thunderstorm rolls through and your power is out you just set it out?

NJlineman55
05-11-2006, 09:21 PM
I am talking about regular work not storm. When the power is out that is a different story. Dude you are always on this site with your hero comments and your negative attitude. you cant be the only one that didn't comprehend that I was speaking about regular work. If your contract states that you stop working when it rains and you continue to do REGULAR WORK then you are an asshole. Seriously stop reminding me about when the power is out, all linemen work in the rain during those situations and we all know that.

Everyone else thanks for the information. the only reason I asked is because the working foremen was not allowing us to wait out the rain, told us either you work or you go home and I didint think it was fair. Simply was interested if you other guys that work for contractors do in these situations.

dirtdobber
05-12-2006, 12:47 PM
is by no means what I was saying I am a contractor not union power co. we work units. in sunny FLA. it might rain for 30 minutes then quit. by the time you rack up and put your tools away the rain has stopped. if it is a thunderstorm yes quit or it is set in for the day yes but short showers no! is so hot & muggy you dry in no time. what hero comments are you speaking of? and what negative comments?

Trampbag
05-12-2006, 01:07 PM
You can always do what was done at one utility I worked for years ago. If it was raining in the morning when the guys showed up everyone voted it “dry” and went home. It wasn’t long before the calls started coming in and anyone who went out went at double time.

There is usually more than one way to skin a cat.

mscheuerer
05-12-2006, 07:53 PM
the only reason I asked is because the working foremen was not allowing us to wait out the rain, told us either you work or you go home and I didint think it was fair.

hey NJL55, did you talk to your local94 BA about that?????

Squizzy
05-16-2006, 06:38 AM
As i mentioned earlier in this thread we just got issued new gortex rain gear , and it pi$$ed down for a while yesterday and we kept working and didn't wet....

BigClive
05-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Is it quite lightweight? Or is it the heavy rubbery stuff like we use in the UK?

Either way it kicks the ass of cheap clammy waterproofs.

Squizzy
05-17-2006, 10:03 AM
Yeah its reasonably lightweight and you don't sweat your a$$ off while you work its good stuff all companies should issue it...

Circuit Rider
11-02-2006, 09:00 PM
Good rule of thumb is if a 3/4 ground rod floats its time to cab up otherwise it is just high humidity. No seriously we do not work in the rain on routine work and will cancel shutdowns if there is a strong chance of rain. When we opt to cancel a shutdown it is usually the crew’s decision not management. No routine work that important, plus usually its better to be available to work trouble usually associated with inclement weather. When we do work trouble the company provides us with flame retardant rain gear.

racinsprintz10
11-03-2006, 01:57 AM
my rain suit only comes out on double time. I like to think a little rational thinking (I.E. a weather report. blue skies) comes into play when trying to decide whether to call it. No gloving in the rain.