PDA

View Full Version : Help- New Technology

g rowe
05-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Hey Bros'
management is looking in to using FUSED load break elbows on a new project and nobody can tell us about how well they work or if they give any trouble. The vendors say they are the best thing since peanut butter. I thought the best place to find out how good they are is the ones they use them. Please give us some insight about this new technology.
Thanks

thrasher
05-15-2006, 10:59 AM
Look under topic "Fused Elbows" from June of last year Tsplice started the topic. Your in the right forum just way back in the pages.

Hemingray Insulators
05-15-2006, 12:31 PM
here is the link to the thread...

http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=630&highlight=fused+elbows

Electriceel
05-15-2006, 09:20 PM
We have never used them but after reading the prior posts about this item, can't say as we need them.
I had checked into them a couple years ago, as we have some locations coming out of 3 phase cabinets that it would be nice to have the 1 phase taps fused.
None of our suppliers stocked them, delivery was 4 to 6 weeks, fuse coordination might become another issue. And also at that time I thought for the elbow and a fuse it was up around $250.00.

You might want to be checking into some type of a vacuum interruptor, G&W has pretty nice equipment.

boom-grown
05-16-2006, 08:10 PM
SAN DIEGO GAS and ELECTRIC use them on their system in CA sometimes. I really did not like their make-up; that little fuse snaps really easy if moved the wrong way or made up rough. Also its not to reassuring in a hot hole with them about shoulder level.

loadbreak55
05-16-2006, 09:33 PM
g rowe

If your management team is smart,they'll turn these things down and invest in a PMH cabinet.Oh sure they cost less and take up less space,but these things are extreamly DANGEROUS.I personally have had them expolde at the end of a shotgun,when energizing a tap.There is also no way to ground them if the fuse is blown,except to dissamble them.And your "salesman" will say to ground the other end,but what if your lableing is wrong and you ground the wrong one? They also have no in/out of service indicator built into them,so you have to rely on a voltage indicator at the test points at the top &bottom of the fuse chamber.It is my opinion that these things are nothing more than an accident waiting to happen!!!!!Hope this helps

Watch out for the light at the end of the tunnel;It just might be a frieght train coming your way!

Trampbag
05-19-2006, 10:49 AM
Try this site

http://www.tnb.com/ps/pubint/index.cgi?a=get_sub&cid=98

I think Elastimold makes then as well.

Be careful to monitor the amount of operations.

They work well and are easy to install and I think I have seen fused up to 40a

Trampbag
05-19-2006, 11:26 PM
I’m wrong, apparently they, Thomas & Betts, have fused for fused elbows from 6a to 45a on all voltages except for 25Kv. So at 15Kv & 25/28Kv 6-45a, 25Kv only limited to 6-20a. This is for 200a components.

Go to the Thomas and Betts I listed above. UG material, is improving all the time. This fused elbows now appears to have a jubilee clip or hose clamp adding rigidity and strength during operations.