PDA

View Full Version : Is 10gauge/4conductor cable ok for 60 foot generator cord?

justacivilian
05-25-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi folks,

Just a regular joe here hoping you can help me out....

I have a 5500 watt generator. I am installing a transfer switch in my garage next to my main fuse panel of my home. I need to have about 60 feet of cord between my generator and where it needs to plug in.

The longest cable I have found is 50 feet but I need 60 feet (might be able to get away with 55 feet) so I am going to make my own with nema male and female connectors. Basically I am just wondering if 10/4 cable will be fine with this? Also, is the output of a 5500 watt generator 20 amp or 30 amp typically?

this is the cord I plan on using...
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/genuinedealz/Items/Item.aspx?sck=1945119&SKU=GIM-SEOOW-10/4-E-/FT

If you click the link you will see it shows a spec sheet for the 10/4 cord. It says the "ampacity" is only 20 on this cable if longer than 50 feet. What do you think?

Thanks!!!

hifihaxor
05-25-2006, 04:43 PM
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6

that is a web board dedicated specifically to generators, theyll be better able to serve you

i do believe 10/4 is ok.. youll be pulling a max of 22a at 240v, #10 is good to 30a

justacivilian
05-25-2006, 05:06 PM
hifihaxor, thanks for the lead I will try that forum. I see you are in Miami...so am I; just getting ready for the wonderfull months ahead ;)

Yup, most I have read says this 10/4 cable should be just fine.

Thanks again!

loodvig
05-25-2006, 06:35 PM
Just make sure you don't backfeed into us!

justacivilian
05-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Nope, I am running a 6 circuit transfer switch so no problem there :)

hifihaxor
05-25-2006, 08:38 PM
i figured you were in miami.. everyone here is freaking out asking me about generators and stuff... i think katrina and wilma were wake up calls to a LOT of people... i had my generator all set and ready to go since hurricane season of 2004.

http://www.fiu.edu/~mburr002/generator

i expect infrastructure damage to be less horrible this tme around, but it depends on the itensity and path of the storm.. the 500kv lines from levee up north went down, and since both nuclear powerplants were shut down, there was NO POWER down here in miami for at least 2 days. most of the trees have been cut way back, and a lot of the nasty poles have been replaced... i do expect a lot of poorly done contractor repairs to fail though when winds pick up.

justacivilian
05-25-2006, 11:04 PM
Wow, that's a very interesting project there. I just built a 1965 Shelby Cobra replica in my garage at home and I restored an old Ford motor to power her, so I can feel for you with trying to hoist around an engine like that. Very cool.

I was without power for just over 2 WEEKS last season.... (well my neighbors were anyway, I went to my in-laws' in Miami Lakes where they were back up right away) ;)

This year I don't want to have to leave my house. Only a 5500watter but all I want is my fridge, a couple lights, and my TV!!! I have natural gas for my water heater so I have never had any downtime with that.

Man I hope we don't have to use 'em this year. I'm sure you on the other hand are dying to see the fruits of your labor in action though. So if we do get hit hard I will think of your beast while I fill my little 7 gallon gasoline tank and pull the cord to fire her up ;)