PDA

View Full Version : UG cable testing

canuck
06-01-2006, 11:02 AM
We are rethinking our cable testing procedures. Right now we test all "feeder cable" prior to commishioning or if it is re-worked on a pole change/splice/etc.. We do not test URD becuase it is fuse protected. Our feeders are fed of solid blades. What do others do? What test methods are used if tested at all?

CHICAGO HAND.
06-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Anytime We Have A Main Stem Cable Fault We Test The Cable After We Fix It And Then Put It Back.
They Call It "vlf" Testing. Our Group Calls It The "atm" Machine.
This Test Has Created More Overtime And Work Because Of The Faults It Creates On Down The Line.
I Love That Test Especially On 35 Year Old Cable. Ssshhhh Nothing To Complain About Here.
Personally If It Was Me Who Made That Rule I Would Go Back To College And Ask For My Money Back.

Squizzy
06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
VLF testing or very low frequency is done on all our cables and is very good at locating faults on URD cables. When the test lab guys do it they can tell how far along the fault is and also tells then how far along any joints are.....

canuck
06-02-2006, 03:16 PM
thanks . right on, Chicago, cable testing has made a few mortage payments for me too. When we test new installations we are testing the workmanship more so than the cable.