PDA

View Full Version : hawkeye mishap damages 40 homes

topgroove
06-01-2006, 12:55 PM
Surge claims being settled
Residents lost appliances when electricity spike hit Albany homes last week

By BRIAN NEARING, Staff writer
Click byline for more stories by writer.
First published: Tuesday, May 23, 2006
ALBANY -- Insurance adjusters have visited a neighborhood near the University at Albany where an electrical power surge last week ruined computers, televisions and other appliances in about 40 homes.
By Monday, about 20 cases had been settled for reimbursement, said Stephen Brady, a spokesman for utility company National Grid, in the wake of the mishap Thursday in a transformer near Glynn Street and Tryon Court.

"I was pretty upset when it happened, but the insurance adjusters were in the neighborhood over the weekend," said Marilyn Riley, a Glynn Street resident. "I think the company has been very responsible."
Brady said the insurance claims are being handled by Hawkeye LLC, a Hauppauge, Long Island, company whose employees were working on the transformer at the time of the surge.
"We are reviewing what happened," he said.
The transformer, also called a "ratio bank," can increase or decrease voltage running through the lines. On Thursday, the transformer apparently relayed an increase of voltage into nearby homes.
"I had a surge protector for the computer. It didn't do any good," said Riley, who also lost a dishwasher, microwave, two televisions, clothes dryer, and a VCR.
Several calls for comment to Hawkeye, which has a regional office in Canajoharie, were not returned.
Brady said Hawkeye provides support services and field work for National Grid. "The company is very professional."
Brady said he expected the remaining damage cases to be settled quickly.
"We're looking at cases where the extent of the damage still isn't known, where you have to have an electrician come in to look at it," he said.
The state Public Safety Commission also is investigating the mishap, said spokesman David Flanagan.
In September 2003, a power surge in Hoosick Falls damaged appliances in homes of nearly half of the village's 3,600 residents.
That surge was caused when a tree knocked down a power line, which came in contact with a secondary power source. In that case, Niagara-Mohawk Power Corp. said the mishap was an "act of God" that was not covered by the company's insurance, so customers were not reimbursed.
Nearing can be reached at 454-5094 or by e-mail at bnearing@timesunion.com.

BigClive
06-02-2006, 06:15 PM
In September 2003, a power surge in Hoosick Falls damaged appliances in homes of nearly half of the village's 3,600 residents.
That surge was caused when a tree knocked down a power line, which came in contact with a secondary power source. In that case, Niagara-Mohawk Power Corp. said the mishap was an "act of God" that was not covered by the company's insurance, so customers were not reimbursed.

A good advert for UG primary. Shit to install, but well out of the way.

loodvig
06-02-2006, 06:18 PM
Rumors are going around that the GRID is not at all happy with Hawkeye. Rumor is that Hawkeye is on the way out and a bigger mid west outfit is coming in.

topgroove
06-02-2006, 09:33 PM
I don't doubt that a bit. Not only are they screwing up they're charging up the wazoo for there services.might as well pay a whore to use a strap-on on ya. Its the same result.

scammy
06-02-2006, 11:46 PM
topgroove , your rotton and I like it ,,,,,,scammy

topgroove
06-07-2006, 10:05 PM
my old man is one of the bird dogs involved with hawkeye right now. i dont remember the details, but basically, the screw up happened on a monday, and on tuesday morning he had all of them lined up and basically asked "what WEREN'T you thinking"

and as far as Grid not being too happy with hawkeye, it couldn't have heard it better.

would you mind asking your dad what went wrong that day and posting it here. We're all here scratching are heads wondering what they posibly could have done wrong on that ratio bank.