PDA

View Full Version : Bible versions

CHICAGO HAND.
06-03-2006, 08:08 AM
It Seems Revelation 3:20 Might Be Coming True For Ya Swamp.
Try Reading Some Basic Books On "christian Apologetics".

LostArt
06-04-2006, 11:05 AM
(**grinning at CH** Heh. Love it.)

Well, that is pretty interesting Swamp. Although I found myself stuck reading about Billy Graham. ;-)

CenterPointEX
06-04-2006, 07:18 PM
I checked out just the first example of what the jist of this articles was... The web sites authors seem to be a "King James Only" Fan Club so they have an axe to grind against all other translations... His argument hinges from two manuscripts held by the Vatican discovered in 1489... We have over five thousand. this is the web site where that example is given. http://www.chick.com/information/bibleversions/comparison.asp The opening statement is...
........ " It is often said that all Bible versions are basically the same, that their differences are just minor wording changes. Read the following comparison between the King James Version and the best-selling modern Bible translation, the New International Version, and then decide for yourself whether or not this is true. We have added bold text to assist the reader in recognizing changes."

The example was Luke 9:56
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?book_id=49&chapter=9&version=31
The passage in the NIV comes with foot notes telling us of the discrepancy. Which is not a descrepancy at all... The Disciples had been treated badly by some folks in a particular town, they went to Jesus and asked if they should pray down some fire from heaven and destroy the town... Now here comes the so called discrepancy, The NIV Version of Luke 9:56 simply states, "and Jesus Rebuked them." It also comes with a footnote saying that some manuscripts give the following text of the rebuke and some do not. The text of the rebuke is consistant with the rest of scripture and does not add or take away from the context of what happened in this incident.

King James
55But he turned, and rebuked them, and said, Ye know not what manner of spirit ye are of. 56For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them. And they went to another village.

New International Version (NIV)
55But Jesus turned and rebuked them, 56and[d (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke%209%20;&version=31;#fen-NIV-25350d)] they went to another village.

Now if Jesus had replied to their question "Who in the Hell do you think you are boys... I don't need the Father, if I wanted those folks smoked, I damn well would have done it my ownself." Then this being in some of the manuscripts accepted and not others would be a problem. If indeed a copiest left out part of the text in a copy, he did not change anything... The integrity of the Word is maintained with or without this line...

Is it just me CH or does anyone else hear that knocking sound?

CHICAGO HAND.
06-04-2006, 09:50 PM
I Believe Everyone Has Had The Chance Of Answering The Door But Some Have Chose Not To Answer.
No'one Will Stand Before God And Say, Well You Never Knocked On My Door.

CenterPointEX
06-06-2006, 07:03 PM
I Believe Everyone Has Had The Chance Of Answering The Door But Some Have Chose Not To Answer.
No'one Will Stand Before God And Say, Well You Never Knocked On My Door.

Swamp, if God is real, all Ya got to do is get down on your knees and ask Him to let you know who He is... If the God of the Bible is real, He is big enough to show Swamp who he is... If you are really serious about discovering the real God, Then just ask Him... Tell him,

"Father I am seeking to know which faith is the Word... Father I can not do this on my own, I need you... I am a mess and I can not change myself, but I have heard from some folks at PWRLMN.com that you can help me... So here I am FAther... I am a sinner in need of a Savior and I have heard that you are in the bussiness of saving folks... I hear you knocking Father and I am asking you in.. I am swallowing my pride in asking you to come into my heart...I seek Truth...have mercy on me Father that I might know you... I pray this in the name of your Son Jesus, by the Power of your Holy Spirit... Amen... "

Swamp, If He can create you and me and the world we live in, then surely he could somehow let you know who He is... I'll be a Monkeys Uncle if'n He don't. You get on you knees and pray that prayer, and I'll wager a steak dinner at your favorite local restruant that He answers it... and you can be the judge of if'n or not God answers you... He is knocking Swamp.

CenterPointEX
06-09-2006, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by CenterPointEX
Swamp, if God is real, all Ya got to do is get down on your knees and ask Him to let you know who He is... If the God of the Bible is real, He is big enough to show Swamp who he is... If you are really serious about discovering the real God, Then just ask Him...

Thanks CP, but it's a little "deeper" than that for me. Appreciate your insight though, seriously. I'm just lookin and tryin to understand a Much Bigger Picture...of the Whole Scene. Deeper? Big Picture? You can't think Gods thoughts Swamp. You will never be able to totaly comprehend God... If you could you would be he... But God has made away for us to apprehend Him... and like you said, its only by faith. He will not force anyone to answer the door... He will not force anyone to trust Him... But he does stand at the door an knock... and anyone who desires will get a glimpse of the Depth of His Love... an awe inspiring glimpse of the Big Picture... You want understanding SWamp?... you desire Wisdom? You got to come out of the darkness... Spiritual darkness that is...

Amazing Grace How Sweet the Sound,

That Saved a Wretch LIke Me..

I Once Was Lost, But Now Am Found...

Was Blind, But Now I See

The fella who wrote that song Swamp, was not talking about physical blindness... Ya gotta wonder... What was it he saw when his spiritual eyes were opened?... For Me Swamp, the first thing I saw was front and Center... My own wretchedness contrasted with Gods infinite goodness... But he made a cover...

LostArt
06-09-2006, 10:19 PM
CP must be fighting for computer time. :D

But, I'm glad he is still kickin'. ;-)

CenterPointEX
06-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Spent last weekend on the Pedernalis River. Took Seniors on a retreat to let em know what their faith will be up against when they hit the college dorms... College campus's ain't the most tolerant anymore when it comes to faith in Jeus Christ... though underground, one could say there is almost a militancy against it... anyhow then this week pulling a six ten... don't leave much computer time...

CenterPointEX
04-03-2008, 01:30 PM
So have ya asked Him yet Swamp?

BigClive
04-03-2008, 04:23 PM
So have ya asked Him yet Swamp?

Apparently Swampy threw his arms in the air and shouted "Oh Lord, give me a sign." And behold, for the very next morning there was a loud angelic noise and a mystical brown skid-mark appeared on his bedsheet.

The original link to http://www.chick.com is kinda amusing. My father is a church elder and my mother was the head Sunday school teacher when I was a kid. (Nothing quite like THAT to put you off religion for life.) My mother used the "Chick tracts" to educate the kids and quite frankly we loved them, but for all the wrong reasons.... In the end there was a meeting of the church elders (including my dad) who effectively sacked her. Hmmmm.

Check out a "Chick tract" and see what you think...

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1046/1046_01.asp

Modern kids.... They're not as gullible as they used to be.

CenterPointEX
04-04-2008, 08:59 AM
I have always been a fan of Chic Tracs BC... They get the message across Point Blank...

I'm not understanding the Elders Sacking you mother thing?

Was this some kind of ritual A-LA Dan Browns "Davinci Code?"

Let me guess... You came up Catholic... and the Deacons had a problem with your mother preaching the un adulterated Gospel...?

I've forgotten now BC... Do you believe that Jesus lived, was crucified dead by Pilate, and rose again on the third day?

and Swamp... God does want you to know something... Thats why he sent me to beat you over the head with it... He knows how hog headed you are and he knows how hogheadedly persistant I am... You and I Swamp... did not come to Powerlineman.Com by accident... It was, is, and remains a Divine appointment set by the Creator mentioned in the Constitution of these United States of America.

BigClive
04-04-2008, 02:22 PM
I have always been a fan of Chic Tracs BC... They get the message across Point Blank...

I'm not understanding the Elders Sacking you mother thing?

Was this some kind of ritual A-LA Dan Browns "Davinci Code?"

Let me guess... You came up Catholic... and the Deacons had a problem with your mother preaching the un adulterated Gospel...?

I've forgotten now BC... Do you believe that Jesus lived, was crucified dead by Pilate, and rose again on the third day?

The chic tracts are hysterical American bible thumping propaganda that are only likely to work when used with forcible preaching on a par with Muslim brainwashing. They didn't work on British kids. We just thought they were ridiculous comics.

Nope. Presbyterian. the Church of Scotland. I believe "my" church has just appointed an ex-muslim minister. Ooh! Scandalous.

Sorry CP. I reckon I'm an atheist.

Meat
04-04-2008, 04:41 PM
I read the one and it almost makes mass murdering children seem fun.Yippeee!

BigClive
04-04-2008, 05:07 PM
I read the one and it almost makes mass murdering children seem fun.Yippeee!

Yes, slay some lambs and smear their blood on your doors.

Well that's gonna be a bitch to clean off in the morning! :D

CenterPointEX
04-07-2008, 06:11 PM
Sorry CP. I reckon I'm an atheist

Well... In that case... welcome to Sillyness 101...
I understand to Atheists, my beliefs are silly... Yes?

You BC, seem like a level headed person... as far as linemen go.

You also seem confident about your beliefs in the religion of Atheism?

Would you be willing to enter into a dissertation on the subject matter?

You will have to admit that it takes extreme faith to believe in Atheism.

For starters... You believe there is no God... If you believe there is no God...

Then it stands to reason... That you believe humans evolved from Rocks...

BigClive
04-07-2008, 07:32 PM
I don't even regard atheism as a religion. Just a stance.

I'm not even going to get into the evolution versus "God" argument.

CenterPointEX
04-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I understand BC that you don't believe Atheism is a religion.
I reckon maybe that is because you have not looked into the definition of religion.

Religion:

1: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe..., usually (but not always) involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or stance of a monk, nun, professor, etc.: to enter religion.

5. something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience.

6. a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith.

.1. ..Atheism is a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe and therefore qualifies as a religion. In this vein Atheism purports that out of nothing the Universe came. Atheism pruports that this universe has no purpose. It is the result of random chance and it will end by this same cause. Atheism believes that it is the result of an explosion and that Humans evolved from rocks... This can only be believed by faith...
The moral code followed by Atheists is survival of the fittest...

2. Atheism is a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects. Again Atheism qualifes as a religion.

3. There is a body of persons adhering to Atheism which includes a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions. Again Atheism qualifies as a religion.

4. The life or stance of a monk, nun, professor,lineman, etc.: to enter religion.
Ditto

5 The Atheist believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience. The Atheist lives by a code of ethics derived from the belief that we are not responsible to any higher power other than nature and or ourselves.

6. Atheism is a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith....

CenterPointEX
04-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Your Wickenpedia did not even mention Swamp, that Huxley coined the term Agnosticism... You must remember Swamp... That Wickenpedia authors often have an axe to grind... I have seen them wax right and wane left in their definitions...

According to the most recognized standard... Webster... Atheism falls under the definition...

The Wickenpedia definitions above seem to have been written with a hard left swing... The specificly label Atheistism as hardcore anti God! Now Swamp... you and I both know that no one can offer any evidence that God does not exist... They can bring no definitive argument to the table to eradicate the possibility of God...

I am only going to say this once Swamp for fear of undermining everything I have ever written about you... So here goes... You got your head screwed on tighter than BC... You see, your faith Swamp, does not exclude the existance of God... Absolute Faith that God does not exist is insanity carried to its logical conclusion... Atheists have breached that shore line... Agnostics like yourself Swamp are adrift in an unsettled sea... You believe that somewhere out there land exists... but your just not sure which direction to paddle your boat... You have hope that someday you will find God... far from banking... like Atheists... That God does not exist...
...It takes very extreme faith Swamp to proclaim unequivocally that God exists nowhere in the time space continuim of eterity past, future, or present. If you could be everywhere at once in the time space continuem... You would yourself be God... But alas...Even if it were possible for one to go everwhere, past present and future, one could still not proclaim that there was no God... Because... just maybe... God was always on the other side of the time space continum in which this person was looking... This is the stance of Atheists... God does not and can not exist... So... as defined by Webster... Atheism is a Religion... Keep paddling Swamp... Don't give up hope like Big Clive has... It is my prayer this night BC... that a light will come into your darkness to give you hope.

BigClive
04-18-2008, 04:26 PM
What is the golden rule? Will the golden rule make you happy and save the World? Have you or anyone you know been able to keep this golden rule perfectly?

The golden rule of atheism is not to do the dumb shit religious people do to each other.

ivanho
04-18-2008, 11:15 PM
The golden rule of atheism is not to do the dumb shit religious people do to each other.

AMEN!!!!!! Brother

CenterPointEX
04-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, swamper...Personally, I choose to believe that the golden rule pretty much covers me...I feel that if you are a good person and treat others well, you'll be OK....Nope, I keep it simple. be good and good things will happen to you.

Jesus was portrayed as a man like us, yet he felt no need to do to church to talk to "dad"... LT, Jesus upon hearing Peters confession said, "Upon this stone will I build my church."

A few questions for you LineTrash...

What is the golden rule? Will the golden rule make you happy and save the World? Have you or anyone you know been able to keep this golden rule perfectly?

Also, where did you get the notion that Jesus felt no need to do Church?

OK, Big Clive... I wil bite.... "What dumb shit does the Bible teach Christians to do to each other?"

The Bible does teach us to love our neighbors as ourselves... Anyone can call themselves a Christian and kill, mame, or rape in the name of Christ... But calling yourself a Christian and obeying the teachings of the Bible thus being a true follower of Jesus are two different things...

So give me an example of dumb things True followers of Jesus have done to each other...

Jim Jones was not a Christian nor was he Bible teacher. Just like Judas... Jim Jones was a fake... a Pied Piper in its most ardent sense.

Atheism was and is a pundit of Evolution... Evolution and Atheism make the claim we evolved from rocks... Evolution also champions survival of the fittest... In the game of survival of the fittest, it is required that the fittest eradicate the unfit. Eradicating the unfit requires the fit to do dumb sh@t to each other... a la Hitler... Mussolini... Stalin... etc.
...Being from from a country that has been the punching bag of such men, should have you at least be aware of the consequences of advocating a Godless society...

BigClive
04-19-2008, 08:49 PM
OK, Big Clive... I wil bite.... "What dumb shit does the Bible teach Christians to do to each other?"

Anything they like apparently. They just rewrite it to suit their current requirements.

CenterPointEX
04-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Anything they like apparently. They just rewrite it to suit their current requirements.

A. Where did you get the idea that Christians teach we can do anything we like to each other...

and

B. On what do you base your statement that The Bible has been rewritten to suit current requirements?

Big Clive those are two false statements... you can pull any statement you want out of thin air... Can you back up the statements you made concerning Point A. and Point B. ?

BigClive
04-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Big Clive those are two false statements... you can pull any statement you want out of thin air... Can you back up the statements you made concerning Point A. and Point B. ?

Indeed. You can apparently pull a full bibles worth of statements out of thin air.

CenterPointEX
04-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Indeed. You can apparently pull a full bibles worth of statements out of thin air. Again BC, you make a statement but offer no evidence to back it up... There is evidence to back up the claims of the Bible... Every Scholar who has investigated the evidence has come to the same conclusion... Every man who ever set out to disprove its truths has come up empty... Many of them seeking to recrucify Christ have; not unlike Paul, turned and become his follower... John Bellamy is right... WickenPedia won't bring any man to Christ... All I can do is love them... one at a time... and when they ask why... I tell them of the hope that is in me. I tell them the answer to Swamps question... The question, "Why are we here?... Why do we exist?.. What is our purpose."... The answer... Love God... Love others... follow in the footsteps of our Savior... Our Lord Jesus Christ... Who showed us the way... He showed us how to Love others... In him there was no sin... yet... he paid the price for our sin... because he loved us... he made a way... There was great sacrifice in that... Gods own son suffered the most unimaginable scourage... in our place... and that is how he taught us to love... Love others as he loved us... That is what up to this Point has made America such a great nation... One nation under God... Blessed by Him... We as Americans have given of our labor... and even our lives and the lives of our family to protect the Liberty, and Freedoms of peace loving people around the world... Not because we are good people... Not because we are in any way perfect or sinless... but rather because we have a model in Jesus Christ who showed us the Way! and gave us our marching orders... Love God... Love others... in this is the whole of the Bible, The Law, and the Gospel is surmised...

BigClive
04-21-2008, 11:37 AM
WickenPedia won't bring any man to Christ... All I can do is love them... one at a time...

Well I hope you've got plenty of lube then.

(Yes it was tasteless, but I'm not "repentant".) ;)

Meat
04-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Now that was funny!Meat (the other atheist)

CenterPointEX
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
Sorry man. I'm about "Logic". Not "Faith".

Your god don't work for me in "Logic".
How is your Logic working out for ya Swamp... Is it getting you somewhere... is it making you one with your soul? Is is making you happy?... If you say yes... then without a doubt... you can make you number one breaking of the Ten Commandments... Lieing...

And BC... you know better than that... there is not enought lube in the world to ease the pain of our Lord Jesus Christ... when he took it in the Arse... for you... and for me...

That's what he did BC... he took it for us... so that we would not have to endure it... the big porking that awaits all men who deny our Lord Jesus Christ unto Death!

Maybe this is no longer "One Nation Under God".... just maybe God has taken his hand off of us... If that is the Case Folks... LUBE UP!... either that... or get on your knees and pray that that is not neccessary.