PDA

View Full Version : thief

scammy
06-02-2006, 11:57 PM
yesterday a guy was gonna steel some copper from the power co, he took an axe and proceeded to cut a riser feed from a pmh, he took one swing and the shit hit the fan, the sub closed 3 times he has burns on 50% of his body , today I went to the site, the fire burned the pole from top to bottom ,melted the u gaurd completely off and burned the grass about 30 ft around the bottom of the pole. it was aluminum cable. dont wish no bad on nobody,hope he lives ,,,,,,but a thief is a thief,,,,,also wonder if he is mentally ill, alot of homeless folks are,,,,,,,,,,,dont feel so good today,,,,,scammy

42linehand
06-03-2006, 12:28 AM
Where did this happen at? I bet he will never try that again!

scammy
06-03-2006, 05:55 PM
dayton ohio

woody
06-03-2006, 08:21 PM
sign of the times...few months back had two fellows try to steal copper wire. One problem...still energized(69 KV)...OH-line...small wire, they thru a rope with a weight over one phase...killed one man on contact...burned the other, still being investigated. woody

Patriot
06-03-2006, 10:57 PM
Let the dumb shits burn! If they are that greedy they are probably criminals or drug addicts. Either way, society is better off with out them.

thrasher
06-05-2006, 08:32 AM
Had a case about 16-18 years ago where the apparatus man went to a 115kv-12.5kv station on his monthly check. When he started to reach for the first breaker cabinent door he felt the hairs on his arm stand-up so he backed off and really LOOKED at the station. Someone had come in and and cut at ground level and at head high every structure and equipment ground in the station except the regulator commons and the Xo bushing lead to the power transformer. We measured almost 2000 volt charge on the cabinent before we grounded it. The thieves had cut the fence in one corner then pulled it back and tied it together with strapping tape.
Whenever you go in a station LOOK before you touch.

duckhunter
06-05-2006, 09:49 AM
The nice thing about this type of crime is thatyou don't have to wait long for justice or accountability.

QuebecMonteurs
06-09-2006, 05:11 PM
How many time did we had the fence cuted over the night by thiefs looking for coper cellular tower lines when I was working for WesTower??? A million times for sure!

And now?? I am dealing with assholes stealing optical fiber reels left on road sides over night.... thinking it's coper.... Damnnnnnnnnn it's written 5 inches high by 20 inches long on the reel "OPTICAL FIBER" what do they need to understand???

The next wire thief that I'm going to catch is going to get my lineman wrench so hard behind the head that he will now have a good reason to be dumb enough to be not able to read on the reels before stealing them :mad:

old lineman
06-09-2006, 08:45 PM
How many time did we had the fence cuted over the night by thiefs looking for coper cellular tower lines when I was working for WesTower??? A million times for sure!

And now?? I am dealing with assholes stealing optical fiber reels left on road sides over night.... thinking it's coper.... Damnnnnnnnnn it's written 5 inches high by 20 inches long on the reel "OPTICAL FIBER" what do they need to understand???

The next wire thief that I'm going to catch is going to get my lineman wrench so hard behind the head that he will now have a good reason to be dumb enough to be not able to read on the reels before stealing them :mad:

You know QuebecMonteur "Dis make me so mad I throw my coat down both side de road".
The Old Lineman

old lineman
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Back in the 1960's in Quebec on our hydro system we had a long stretch of 48KV. line isolated as it was used as a loop feed. The conductor was 4/O stranded copper.
One day the control asked that the airbreaks be closed so that the normal feed could be isolated and repaired.
The airbreaks were closed and it was discovered that 15 miles of 3 phases of copper was gone. It is impossible to do this without equipment and lots of linemen. There were many tons of copper gone. How about the scrap dealer that bought it, he was in on it two.
Definitely an inside job.

About 10 years ago a local utility here in Ontario sent their linemen out to foot patrol their circuits.
One guy was walking along when he discovered some clothes. Upon closer examination he saw climbing hooks on the legs of a skeleton.
Putting two and two together they realized that the body was that of a would be thief who had climbed the pole to cut the conductors and steal the aluminum (I guess).
They figure he wasn't alone but nobody else was ever found.
That's what I call instant justice.
The Old Lineman

scammy
06-10-2006, 03:58 PM
after our incident ,,,,,,just 3 days ago we got a report that another guy pulled over in his pickup,,,,pulled out a ladder and took a hatchet to to pole ground ,from top to bottom,,and drove off , ,,,,,,,,,,,,,they just dont get it,scammy

thrasher
06-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Don't know if it's true or not but I heard a story when I started in the industry (in the 70's) about the origin of rachet cutters. According to the story Georgia Power was building a copper transmission line in the early 1950's thru the back of nowhere and the wire kept disappearing. The crew would string a line tie in the ends and a few bells and go home for the night. The next morning the wire would be cut at every shoe. At the time large wire had to be cut with hydraulic cutters that couldn't be taken into the air as the pump wouldn't drive that long of hoses. So they couldn't figure out how someone was mechanically cutting the wire in the air. Finally they hired a bunch of gaurds to hide in the woods and watch. They caught the one guy doing it all and he had a set of home built rachet cutters. Supposedly Georgia Power told him they wouldn't press charges if he gave them the patent rights. He agreed provided they hired him in thier machine shop. Would love to know if the story is true? Anyone else heard the story?

BigClive
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Here's an accident webpage with a few pictures of copper thieves who have been punished with power.

BEWARE!!!! THE FIRST PICTURE IS ACTUALLY OF AN "ELECTRICAL WORKER".

(The power worker obviously not being a copper thief.)

http://www.voltini.com/id35.htm

md2
06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
we were working in a ac-dc sub for amtrack and the thief tried to steal the 700v dc bus ampped up to high heavens...the fire department responded to a brush fire only to find about 1/4 of a body