PDA

View Full Version : crazy

44kv
06-04-2006, 12:11 PM
I dont understand this line of work sometimes. I have been doing line work for over a year, when i started i was put on a truck with a man who had been doing this for over 30 years. If i wanted to do something on a pole i had to get my hooks on and climb and touching primary was out of the question. the bucket was something i seen go up and down while i stood under it. and if i got the material made up wrong, the i seen what the hard hat was for because it was coming back down on my head. just a couple days ago my truck had to change out a buck arm pole and we had another truck to help,the ground man on that truck was a B class lineman(or so they say he his) and when i was making up materail as fast as i could so i could climb and work out the secondary i had to show this b class how to make up the damn arms!!!! I have seen more and more of this and just dont undrstand how the people that trained these guys could push for them to move up. we all know that when you start out the lineman your under has alot to do with your raises and moving up so how could they talk good for these dumb ass! just dont understand.

Trampbag
06-04-2006, 03:47 PM
You have run into the least desirable aspects of this trade, the “good ol’ boyz”. It exists everywhere, some places much worse than others, some places it is bearable, but almost always there.

I sure don’t have any advice on how to deal with it, other than wait your time, then drag. Sometimes, though, that isn’t possible, because of family or other things. Above all, treat the job; as away to make a living, you don’t live to work, you work to live. It isn’t much better elsewhere, in other jobs, just linework pays better.

Sorry.

Remember how you feel. Perhaps you can change it for others.

dbrown20
06-04-2006, 07:15 PM
Excellent post. It's nice to see someone with a little wisdom. I recall giving advice to a foreman once on a cutover from 4 kv to 12 kv. He was an excellent foreman and had more experience that I, but I was just fresh from a contractor that had been doing a lot of cutovers. My foreman had very little experience with them. He appreciated the advice and I enjoyed working with him. He was very smart and anything about their system that I needed to know he gave me without being condescending and we got along greatly, and he became a good friend. It works both ways and some folks forget that. dbrown20

44kv
06-04-2006, 07:20 PM
you guys made some good points. dont get me wrong i love to work off my hooks my point is if you have the title and you make the money then know your shit before you hurt yourself or me or somebody else ive worked hard to get where i am in this trade i didnt suck ass to move up and if i have a problem with something i tell who ever i have the problem with about it.just like the deal with the arm, the guy did not like to be told how to make them up so his smart ass remark was " you cant do it like i do it" you are right at just over a year i am not ready to touch primary and thats what i mean some of these dudes that suck there way up dont need to.they dont know there shit but they got a title that is suppose to be earned not just gave

dbrown20
06-09-2006, 07:11 PM
I understand where you're coming from, but you'll never get completely away from situations like this. Best thing to do is suck it up and go home at the end of the day. I've worked with groundmen who have a better head on their shoulders than some lineman do, but to a company, a lineman is a lineman.

As for the hard hat incident and smart ass remarks, when you all go to the bar after work there is no difference between lineman-apprentice-groundman. A man is a man. If you're feelin froggy, that's the time to jump. Just remember, you have to work with these guys everyday.

Maybe ought to change your handle from TRAMPLINEMAN to WISELINEMAN. Good advice. dbrown20