PDA

View Full Version : Powerless: Is National Grid Reliable?

topgroove
06-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Powerless: Is National Grid Reliable?

Sometime soon, you'll be receiving a 5 dollar rebate from National Grid. Those 5 dollars represent your cut of a nearly 9-million dollar penalty that was recently levied against the utility. The I-team will now take you behind the scenes to show you the reasons for the penalty, so you'll know what's really going on, the next time your lights go out.
Remember the big ice storm of 1998? How about the Labor Day storm later that same year? Or the big windstorm that hit just last February 17th? Chances are your power went out during one or all those events. The lights go out, utility crews show up, the lights go on. Some outages last longer than others. These are the times that capture the most attention, but what's become increasingly more concerning are the more routine day to day power outages that don't get the most attention, like the one that hit Dewitt a few weeks ago. Its these minor outages that has landed National Grid, which took over Niagara Mohawk, in trouble.
The people on the front lines, the line maintenance workers and the union that represents them know there's a problem. "They're less able now to respond in a timely manner as the customers would expect." says David Faletta, President of IBEW Local 97.
Last month, the State penalized National Grid 8-point-8 million dollars for not meeting two important standards for reliability in 2005: he frequency of non storm related power outages, and the duration of those outages. Last year, 98 percent of national grid customers experienced a loss of power at least once. The state standard is 92 percent. Those outages also lasted longer, an average of two hours 20 minutes or about 15 minutes longer than the state allows.
National Grid spokesman Alberto Bianchetti says the main reason is the unusually hot summer of '05 and its aging equipment. "Everyone knows how hot it was last summer. Because of that heat we saw a higher malfunctioning rate among transformers."
In Albany, National Grid comes under the regulation of the State Public Service Commission. Over the past 5 years, the PSC has seen some disturbing trends with national grid. James Gallagher and Michael Worden keep a close watch over National Grid's performance. Since 2001 the State has fined Niagara Mohawk, now National Grid, four times.
In '01, 366-thousand dollars for too many momentary interruptions. That same year, 4-point-4 million dollars exceeding frequency of outages. In '04, another 4-point-4 million for the same problem. And this year, 8-point-8 million for both frequency and duration of power interruptions. "Yeah these trends concern us. We're looking very closely at the things National Grid is doing to change this trend." says Michael Worden.
National Grid is facing a dilemma which most every utility in the nation is facing: an aging infrastructure that is breaking down more frequently, an aging workforce (the average line maintenance worker is in his '50's), a reliance on outside contractors to help restore power, and the need to keep costs under control. But National Grid says it is about to double its capital improvement program by shelling out a billion dollars over the next 5 years to upgrade and modernize its old infrastructure. A big chunk of money which the utility may try to recoup in the form of higher rates, but not for several years, according to Bianchetti. "It's an investment we're going to be making now during a time when our rates are frozen."
James Gallagher says the PSC says it will be looking over National Grid's shoulder. "We will look at how they're spending that money down to the individual lines."
Joe Quinlan is a line crew forman with 33 years of experience. "Right from the beginning in my early years climbing the poles doing the work, the storms of course, the emergenies, it's been nice." It's been nice, but it's also dangerous for the line maintenance worker, those highly skilled and brave employees of National Grid who are out there in all kinds of weather whenever there's a power outage.
But whether it's a big storm or a routine outage, Quinlan sees a growing problem. He says there's also a big problem with manpower. National Grid employes about 700 line workers, half the number they employed in the '80's. Quinlan says it's another reason we're seeing more and longer power outages. "It's taken us longer because we don't have the help, don't have the physical help."
But National Grid Spokesman Alberto Bianchetti points out, "We're adding staff to that department faster than we're losing it." Never the less, David Faletta, the union President representing National Grid workers say the company needs to expand its maintenance staff by 30-percent to around a thousand line workers. "The number of employees is a management right. So we are in constant discussions with them, but frankly the company is no where near putting on the number of linemen that we believe we need."
National Grid does suppliment its staff with private contractors and will call in help from neighborhing utilities during a major event. Bianchetti says it doesn't make sense to hire extra people just in case they could be needed. "There's always a balance of resources versus cost and you can't always be staffed for a major storm."
There's another problem facing National Grid and every utility in the nation, an aging workforce. Joe Quinlan is a prime example. In his 50's, he's preparing to retire after 33 years on the job. "I don't think the new company has been quick enough to bring people on board."
National Grid says it has recognized this problem. Bianchetti says it is reaching out to community colleges. "Potentially create a pipeline of workers who are already predisposed to want to be line mechanics and then move them into our apprenticeship program." But it takes 5 to 7 years for a worker to become qualified for this highly technical and dangerous work. So Quinlan sees no quick fix to National Grid's reliability problem. We may have to get used to more and longer blackouts. "You pay for service in that bill also. I don't think you should expect you should be out of lights for an undeterminate amount of time."
The State Public Service Commission is keeping watch over National Grid and what it's doing to improve its equipment and respond to power outages. But nothing will happen overnight. Meanwhile the State has put out a consumers guide to utility service interruptions. Among other things, it suggests you might want to buy a generator. Jim Kenyon, Action News 3.

dungnfam
07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Topgroove, why are you always shitting on National Grid? I thought you worked for them.

topgroove
07-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Topgroove, why are you always shitting on National Grid? I thought you worked for them.The article I posted was from a newspaper. I was in no way as you say shiting on grid I simply posted a newspaper article that pertained to the electric utility industry that I thought was news worthy. I did not post my opinion or personal views on the subject. If you find the post objectional may I sugjest writing a letter to the reporter that wrote the article or a strongly worded letter to the editor. If you remember I was the one who said Grid was a great place to work, great pay, exelent benefits in your post just before you got hired. Good thing your not a lineman cause You're a little to sensitive to be in this line of work!

dungnfam
07-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Sorry man. I apologize. The Grid is defintely a great place to work.

CenterPointEX
04-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Powerless: Is National Grid Reliable?

Sometime soon, you'll be receiving a 5 dollar rebate from National Grid. Those 5 dollars represent your cut of a nearly 9-million dollar penalty that was recently levied against the utility. The I-team will now take you behind the scenes to show you the reasons for the penalty, so you'll know what's really going on, the next time your lights go out.
Remember the big ice storm of 1998? How about the Labor Day storm later that same year? Or the big windstorm that hit just last February 17th? Chances are your power went out during one or all those events. The lights go out, utility crews show up, the lights go on. Some outages last longer than others. These are the times that capture the most attention, but what's become increasingly more concerning are the more routine day to day power outages that don't get the most attention, like the one that hit Dewitt a few weeks ago. Its these minor outages that has landed National Grid, which took over Niagara Mohawk, in trouble.
The people on the front lines, the line maintenance workers and the union that represents them know there's a problem. "They're less able now to respond in a timely manner as the customers would expect." says David Faletta, President of IBEW Local 97.
Last month, the State penalized National Grid 8-point-8 million dollars for not meeting two important standards for reliability in 2005: he frequency of non storm related power outages, and the duration of those outages. Last year, 98 percent of national grid customers experienced a loss of power at least once. The state standard is 92 percent. Those outages also lasted longer, an average of two hours 20 minutes or about 15 minutes longer than the state allows.
National Grid spokesman Alberto Bianchetti says the main reason is the unusually hot summer of '05 and its aging equipment. "Everyone knows how hot it was last summer. Because of that heat we saw a higher malfunctioning rate among transformers."
In Albany, National Grid comes under the regulation of the State Public Service Commission. Over the past 5 years, the PSC has seen some disturbing trends with national grid. James Gallagher and Michael Worden keep a close watch over National Grid's performance. Since 2001 the State has fined Niagara Mohawk, now National Grid, four times.
In '01, 366-thousand dollars for too many momentary interruptions. That same year, 4-point-4 million dollars exceeding frequency of outages. In '04, another 4-point-4 million for the same problem. And this year, 8-point-8 million for both frequency and duration of power interruptions. "Yeah these trends concern us. We're looking very closely at the things National Grid is doing to change this trend." says Michael Worden.
National Grid is facing a dilemma which most every utility in the nation is facing: an aging infrastructure that is breaking down more frequently, an aging workforce (the average line maintenance worker is in his '50's), a reliance on outside contractors to help restore power, and the need to keep costs under control. But National Grid says it is about to double its capital improvement program by shelling out a billion dollars over the next 5 years to upgrade and modernize its old infrastructure. A big chunk of money which the utility may try to recoup in the form of higher rates, but not for several years, according to Bianchetti. "It's an investment we're going to be making now during a time when our rates are frozen."
James Gallagher says the PSC says it will be looking over National Grid's shoulder. "We will look at how they're spending that money down to the individual lines."
Joe Quinlan is a line crew forman with 33 years of experience. "Right from the beginning in my early years climbing the poles doing the work, the storms of course, the emergenies, it's been nice." It's been nice, but it's also dangerous for the line maintenance worker, those highly skilled and brave employees of National Grid who are out there in all kinds of weather whenever there's a power outage.
But whether it's a big storm or a routine outage, Quinlan sees a growing problem. He says there's also a big problem with manpower. National Grid employes about 700 line workers, half the number they employed in the '80's. Quinlan says it's another reason we're seeing more and longer power outages. "It's taken us longer because we don't have the help, don't have the physical help."
But National Grid Spokesman Alberto Bianchetti points out, "We're adding staff to that department faster than we're losing it." Never the less, David Faletta, the union President representing National Grid workers say the company needs to expand its maintenance staff by 30-percent to around a thousand line workers. "The number of employees is a management right. So we are in constant discussions with them, but frankly the company is no where near putting on the number of linemen that we believe we need."
National Grid does suppliment its staff with private contractors and will call in help from neighborhing utilities during a major event. Bianchetti says it doesn't make sense to hire extra people just in case they could be needed. "There's always a balance of resources versus cost and you can't always be staffed for a major storm."
There's another problem facing National Grid and every utility in the nation, an aging workforce. Joe Quinlan is a prime example. In his 50's, he's preparing to retire after 33 years on the job. "I don't think the new company has been quick enough to bring people on board."
National Grid says it has recognized this problem. Bianchetti says it is reaching out to community colleges. "Potentially create a pipeline of workers who are already predisposed to want to be line mechanics and then move them into our apprenticeship program." But it takes 5 to 7 years for a worker to become qualified for this highly technical and dangerous work. So Quinlan sees no quick fix to National Grid's reliability problem. We may have to get used to more and longer blackouts. "You pay for service in that bill also. I don't think you should expect you should be out of lights for an undeterminate amount of time."
The State Public Service Commission is keeping watch over National Grid and what it's doing to improve its equipment and respond to power outages. But nothing will happen overnight. Meanwhile the State has put out a consumers guide to utility service interruptions. Among other things, it suggests you might want to buy a generator. Jim Kenyon, Action News 3.The question is... how do we get this information out to the general public that this thing would get turned around?

My name is David Fleshler, and I'm a reporter for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. We're doing an article on FPL's reliability record - whether the company has invested enough in the system, whether it's hired enough linemen, whether it relies too much on less-experienced contractor workers, why certain areas suffer repeated outages etc etc. I'm talking with the PSC, FPL, outside experts, union officials. Does anyone on the forum have any ideas, opinions, suggestions? My email is dfleshler@sun-sentinel.com.

Patriot
04-13-2007, 07:54 PM
We all know the investor owned's are scrimping and scraping and robbing peter to pay paul, with little or no maintenance. The only reason the lights are on is becuase of us!