PDA

View Full Version : I started in linework............

LostArt
06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
I've not done a poll in a while, and I don't think it was HERE when I did!

I wondered what kind of company you began your linework career in.

Koga
06-08-2006, 06:35 PM
In March of 1979. Investor owned it coverd southwest Louisiana and southeast Texas. Entergy bought us out around 1992 I think.And we went through about 5 or 6 years of hell till they got rid of the CEO.Since heading in a new direction it has become a good place to work. I would never have thought Id be with one company this long.

Koga

LostArt
06-08-2006, 09:49 PM
In March of 1979. Investor owned it coverd southwest Louisiana and southeast Texas. Entergy bought us out around 1992 I think.And we went through about 5 or 6 years of hell till they got rid of the CEO.Since heading in a new direction it has become a good place to work. I would never have thought Id be with one company this long.

Koga

Well, most here have heard the story, but the boss worked at an individual contractor for about 22 yrs. I never thought he would leave, neither did he. But, as I've said, it's been the best move so far (almost 5 yrs). He is working at a small co-op now.

Uh........what would an "other" be guys? We have two that voted other so far. Just curious.

LINETRASH
06-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Excellent post, LA.

I started in 1982 at the tender age of 17.

Was working for Irby constuction at the time.

Hip deep in the Okeefinokee swamp in SE Georgia, totin' steel for a tower assembly crew.

Been through a lot since, but I will never forget that......

loodvig
06-09-2006, 05:08 AM
I started in a small muni with 1,800 customers.

harley
06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Started at a muni in 85 - still there - 2 years till I retire.

loadbreak55
06-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I started as a rookie grunt in 1970 @ $1.85 per.hr.For a "rat" contractor.Now ,36 yrs. later,I'm still a "rookie",But much better at it! :)and making a rew buck's more per hr.

LostArt
06-09-2006, 04:26 PM
Excellent post, LA.

I started in 1982 at the tender age of 17.

Was working for Irby constuction at the time.

Hip deep in the Okeefinokee swamp in SE Georgia, totin' steel for a tower assembly crew.

Been through a lot since, but I will never forget that......

Curious Trash.........were you with the contractor that the boss worked for long? Why is it when I see your handle I think of Tramp lineman? You grin/laugh, but I truly didn't know what one was until I came here.

I started as a rookie grunt in 1970 @ $1.85 per.hr.For a "rat" contractor.Now ,36 yrs. later,I'm still a "rookie",But much better at it! :)and making a rew buck's more per hr.

LOL! Sounds like the boss. I say he is being humble and he says he is tellin' the truth. Riiiiiiiight!

So, is this with the same rat contractor Break? And tell me, what is a loadbreak? Is it one of those times while you sit on the side of the road and wait for the Super/foreman to bring some equipment? I don't know! I'm just guessing! But, if that super/foreman has more'n one crew I'm thinking that's a good long break! :D

Harley, whatchya plan on doing when you retire??? Take to the road so that bike can see some more country? Heh.

Loodvig, was that in Mass? Wow. Lot of growth through the years, eh?

Hemingray Insulators
06-09-2006, 05:21 PM
a Load Break is a tool that you use to open a cutout or switch that is carrying load. it prevents an arc from the fuse barrel or switch blade to the contacts. thats why you see the horns on most cutouts and switches, the loadbreak rests on them I think. I'll see if I can find a pic of one.

Hemingray Insulators
06-09-2006, 05:31 PM
heres a link to the one S&C makes, I'm sure the other guys can elaborate on it more. oh, and guys, what do you think of the S&C load break, is it good, what do you like. I always like hearing what you like about tools, or what you don't like.
http://www.sandc.com/products/loadbuster/default.asp

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/universalpole.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/Tshooter/Loadbustertool.jpg

CenterPointEX
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Houston Lighting & Power 1983... 6.35 an hour........................ But then all ya got to do is look up to see that?

A load break is any device that snuffs out an electrical arc... They make load break elbows for underground transformers etc... There are many different methods for snuffing an arc... On an Underground xfmr the probe that inserts into the bushing looks like a pencil sorta.. it screws into the elbow. The last four inches is made of a hard plastic... as the probe is pulled out of the elbow, it starts drawing an arc, but then the plastic portion cuts off the arc and snuffs it out. If it were not snuffed out, it would continue to draw an arc even though the conductive portion was no longer in physical contact with the xfmr... On occasion , like when you go to close a switch and you miss and subsequently it falls open... An arc will sit there and bellar... waveing your fiberglass stick through it will sometimes break the load arc before all hell breaks loose, I've seen it done... but when it happens to me I run... I have seen porcalin insulators explode like a hand gernade so I don't do the wave thing...

LINETRASH
06-09-2006, 08:29 PM
I worked there for an eleven year strech ending in '98.

Before that, it was off and on , a year or 2 here or there, about 14 years total.

I was a good company once......

But like most rat contractors they lost most of their talent in the late 90's hireing frenzy of a lot of power co's.

It didnt help that they went corperate and lost the mom and pop feel where several generations of some families would work there.

LostArt
06-09-2006, 09:56 PM
I worked there for an eleven year strech ending in '98.

Before that, it was off and on , a year or 2 here or there, about 14 years total.

I was a good company once......

Aaaah.............yeah. I won't say much ..........not because I know anything you understand, but because well..........the boss ain't there anymore and he still has good friends/former co-workers working there.

But I understand the "once" part.

loadbreak55
06-10-2006, 01:11 PM
:o I am and have been Union for the past 26 years.I could'nt put up with the favoritism,not to mention the A**kissing ,needed just to keep my job!As for the Loadbreak handle---Pick one---Loadbreak elbow,loadbreak cutout;and as for the picture from Hemmingray---That tool is called a "loadbuster"and I use that one quite often,mostly breaking the loop between two source feeders,or opening a cap bank.I am also a troubleshooter.

Hebrew
06-11-2006, 04:53 AM
I live in a small country,one power company.Was working at a cement factory.Pay was small.was just looking for better paying job and replied to their ad for apprentices.That was 1988,should have made that move 5 years earlier,best job around! Linework has provided me with everything you can ask for in a job.

Bear_Boomer
06-13-2006, 03:32 PM
Anchorage Alaska, 1978, girlfriends father was the owner, shes long gone, and I'm still ass deep in linework. Wonder if the ol'man is laughing at me? :cool: