PDA

View Full Version : Working hot

Steve Riddle
06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
When working on a line which is only live by induction, would you normally ground this line or undertake work with hotsticks & wear insulator gloves?

topgroove
06-08-2006, 05:40 PM
Most likely the induction is from a nearby transmision line. The voltage even though its induction, is too great for your rubber gloves. The safest way to test dead and ground using equopotential grounding. Every year we read about another brother who was killed from induction.

Koga
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I would ground it as close to myself as possible on both sides. As Topgroove stated rubber gloves aint worth squat when dealing with induction.Its an unknown voltage. Just the static on the hard ware will knock the piss out of ya. Plus I like goin home in the evening!

Koga

Stick-it
06-08-2006, 10:52 PM
Grounding on both sides will not protect you as well as you think. The only thing that will is using a pole band. With the grounds on either side you would still be a parallel path to ground. Think about it... the voltage across your body would equal the voltage drop in the grounds. It could keep the amperage to a non lethal level but if you do the math using fault current numbers you die every time without that pole band.

Sno10
06-08-2006, 11:15 PM
When working on a line which is only live by induction, would you normally ground this line or undertake work with hotsticks & wear insulator gloves?

equiopotential ground and BOND the work site. Makes it safe for the workers in the air but it will introduce the hazard to the ground personnel though working around your grounding electrode (tower leg or ground rod for wood) or around properly bonded and grounded equipment. If it becomes to hot through induction for the ground personnel to work safely your best bet would be to remove grounds and stick it. I see induction the most hazardous to the the people on the ground. Not a hazard at all to the people in the air if they are equipotential grounded and bonded properly. Bonding is a often very over looked portion of a safe work site.

loadbreak55
06-09-2006, 01:46 PM
It has taken a lot of ti ;) me to convince me,but in my humble oppinion, the only way of assureing a safe working environement in this case is "equopotential grounding"

Steve Riddle
06-09-2006, 04:48 PM
Many thanks for your replies everyone, can I suggest an intresting web site to visit type "high voltage sparks & arcs" into your browser.
Cheers, Steve. :)