PDA

View Full Version : Old Power Poles.........

LostArt
06-10-2006, 06:54 AM
A while back I was talking to someone about how they took power poles and made stuff out of them. I'm trying my best to remember who it was! Loodvig, it wasn't you was it buddy?

Someone here mentioned it and I thought it neat but I can't remember who it was. If you know, either PM me or post it please. Thanks.

dooghi
06-10-2006, 09:38 AM
Might be me, I have a sawmill and I cut them to make lumber. I have a set of lineman pencil art that I have used an old cedar transmisson pole for the frames. I also use the wood for my second hobby building goat pens and sheds. I have to keep my shrinks happy.

LostArt
06-10-2006, 08:03 PM
It was you dooghi!!! :D Loodvig........dooghi...........not too far off, was I??? I honestly didn't think it was Loodvig, but I just couldn't remember your handle dooghi.

Shrinks???? Heh, heh, heh. I love the humor and if it was true........well, I love how you really don't give a rats @ss who cares! :D

I actually was thinking of frames dooghi! Whose lineman art do you have? Is it yours?

loodvig
06-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Nope! not me! A pole is the last thing I want to drag home. Cross arms are a different story!
But I do have to ask dooghi how he gets a pole through a sawmill what with all the steel/iron in a pole. I've heard of people splitting up cedar pole for fence posts etc.

dooghi
06-11-2006, 08:02 AM
The art is a guy named Steve Driscoll from the Colorado Springs Colorado area. He was to make some more but I have not heard of any new stuff. Maybe an artist block don't know. They are a pencil art I think they are pretty cool. I have them and I am in the process of refinishing an old wooden shotgun to put with them, and maybe my first set of hooks as well, beings the higher ups told me I had to retire them. AS for cutting the poles it not bad just takes time to pull all the staples and get the gounds off, I like the number six copper ones they make the pole worth almost three dollars befor I make any wood,:D . Most of the time I get it all out but somtimes you miss a nail or worse one of those meter loop screws that has the head broke off, really screws with the blade:) . The ones that are by drives into fields that farmers put no hunting signs on are the worst, didn't know that a little plastic sign took two inch nails to hold it on, or a paper one that last just a year and needs to be replaced, I can take a coffee can full of nails out of those. But it does keep me off the streets and out of wife's hair:rolleyes:

LostArt
06-11-2006, 09:29 AM
The art is a guy named Steve Driscoll from the Colorado Springs Colorado area. He was to make some more but I have not heard of any new stuff. Maybe an artist block don't know. They are a pencil art I think they are pretty cool.

Ummm........I don't know why I thought Steve was from Canada. Yes, I've seen Steve's work and they are very good.

Artist block. Heh. Seems like I'm in one of those. Dooghi.......can you post a pic of what those frames look like?

dooghi
06-11-2006, 10:33 AM
LA, wrong Steve it is Steve Johnson, from Colorado Springs. :confused:

LostArt
06-11-2006, 11:07 AM
LA, wrong Steve it is Steve Johnson, from Colorado Springs. :confused:

Oh! Ummm..........I'll do a search and see if he has any of his work out there. But, Steve Johnson is kinda common. Heck, I know a Steve Johnson (a lineman for almost 30 yrs) that works for an REA in my hometown! :D

Do you have a link to his work Dooghi?

Squizzy
06-12-2006, 08:21 AM
One of the old boys around our yard amongst other things does alot of wood work as our cross arms are joinery grade native hardwoods they are perfect for it. So when T asked him
T; What are you stripping that old arm for?
C; Because i am going to make something out of it.
T; What are you going to make, that arm is split?
C; Ash.....

Poles are always a good source of free firewood and even as building materials and fence posts....

dooghi
06-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Sorry sure don't just a name signed and remeber he is from the Springs area.

thrasher
06-12-2006, 09:33 AM
I don't know what perservative you guys use in your poles and crossarms down under but if you use CCA (the greenie poles) tell your buddy not to use them for firewood. When you burn a CCA pole you release arsenic. Very little if any in the smoke but the ashes are lousy with the stuff and you can get a dose by breathing the dust. Fine for fence posts etc. because the arsenic is still chemically bonded to the wood. When we give away poles we make the consumer sign a warning notice not to use the poles for firewood, water troughs or vegetable bins.

BigClive
06-12-2006, 04:27 PM
So not recommended for barbeques then?

Maybe that's why all Australian linemen go nuts. :)

Squizzy
06-13-2006, 10:10 AM
So not recommended for barbeques then?

Maybe that's why all Australian linemen go nuts. :)

Come on fella's give us some credit! All our new poles are CCA treated 95%of our old poles are are non-treated hardwoods. Poles that have been sprayed for termites are labled with a big yellow tag. The poles are usually Blackbutt and Mallalueca if you are lucky you get a Wandoo pole the best firewood around next to Mallee roots. I cut up an 11.5m Wandoo pole into 1 foot blocks and left about 4 meters uncut as I didn't want to have to sharpen the chainsaw for the 4th time not bad as the pole was about a forteen inches thick.

graybeard
06-14-2006, 10:53 PM
We used to have a farmer around here who cut up old ceder trans poles and sell the lumber. I know that there was at least one deck made out of an old 69 line I helped RO. One of the guys I worked with made a shed using 2 by 4s out of those poles. The only bad part was he was suppose to take the whole pole but cut the buts off and left them. We had to go back and get the butts after we thought we were done with the job.

thrasher
06-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Okay squizzy I'll give you some credit! Seriously just wanted to make sure people were safe. Your comment about sharpening the chainsaw makes me wonder what "Wandoo" wood is like versus american black locust. Locust makes lousy poles, full of knots, but is the roughest thing on a saw i've ever cut. It also makes a great mailbox post. My uncle scrapped a toyota pickup off of his and just replaced the box, the pole was fine.

Squizzy
06-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Wandoo is just plain hard and it looks like it has been polished after you cut with a chainsaw, It burns long and at a higher temperature.-I know this for fact as I have tried the results of many roasts (does pork crackle exceptionally well) and have not had to add more wood once the meat was put in. The timber itself has very few knots the last pole I cut up in 1 foot blocks I split my fathers axe handle on the 4th block. Its a great timber when cut and polished smells great when you first cut it, it just doesn't do much good for you machinery and cutting gear.

zapman3021
06-18-2006, 02:57 AM
Do they think that we are that backwards down here........pffft how stupid do they think we are we might be on the other side of the planet but that doenst mean we are backwards............ the only time we burn cca is when we want to get rid of our wives on the quiet......eg : look honey i made you a nice fire to keep you warm let me shut the door behind myself as i leave so the hot air wont get out
:D