PDA

View Full Version : Testing Harnesses

THE KID
06-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Can anybody tell me if there is a rule or regulation on how often body harnesses should be tested? We all have had our harnesses for 5 years and they have never been tested.

BigClive
06-15-2006, 11:30 PM
There's no easy way to specifically test a harness for functional strength without damaging it. The best approach is to examine the harness carefully for signs of damage to stitching or straps including broken or worn threads.

Other than that the harnesses should be routinely replaced at a chosen interval depending on usage and storage conditons.

As mentioned before, it's hard to part with your favourite harness. Particularly when you have a heavy build and you've actually found one that fits.

(Pammeter and Petrie (P+P) is my harness of choice in the UK.)

harley
06-16-2006, 07:58 AM
Check the stitching if its missing of damaged the harness needs to be replaced. If you can not read the labels or tags on the harness it needs to come out of service. we just went through this and all of the harnesses we had except for 3 or 4 failed. We have replaced them all now

graybeard
06-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Would have to agree with HARLEY but SALA would be my pick.

old lineman
06-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Can anybody tell me if there is a rule or regulation on how often body harnesses should be tested? We all have had our harnesses for 5 years and they have never been tested.

It's unbelieveable but even the manufacturers disagree.
So we should go with 'Best Practices' which are based on the history of this industry.
Normally we don't have to worry about chemicals, petroleum products won't degrade the web but do attract dirt. In dirt comes grit which can be very abrasive so keep an eye on areas that show discoloration from oil.
UV attacks nylon and polyester but polyester is more resistant to UV.
In Ontario, Canada we teach that the date of manufacture is not critical.
We start the clock ticking when the harness goes into service. After that we are also not concerned about frequency of wearing but we inspect regularily.
Proir-to-use visual, formally once a year and document the findings.
If the harness has no faults it's good for another year or until the wearer finds a fault or has lost confidence in it.
Tracking it from the in-service date out to 10 years is the norm, then it must go. In some aspects of this industry it may have been worn only a few times. Again frequency doesn't matter, it's time. It goes.
If it sees a fall it goes.
If it has one fault it goes.
If the labels are missing it goes.
When purchasing I always recommend that the employer supply full body harnesses with frontal attachments because of a possible necessity to 'self rescue' from a disabled aerial device.
You'll hear a lot of bally hooing going on about bringing in another unit in and transferring from one unit to another.
That does't help much when your the only crew out there on a cold winters night or if your unit is the tallest in the fleet, it doesn't help at all if God forbid it starts on fire (which has happened).
ALL 'self-rescue' systems work off the front so what good is a 'Dorsal Dee' to that need. None.
In my travels I see a multitude of workers working aloft (many trades) without fall protection.We're supposed to be professionals, that's very unprofessional.
You don't look Macho going without this protection, you just look brain dead.
Like the song says, " you don't impress me much".
Let's wear our safety gear whatever it is. Somebody waitng for us to get home.
The Old Lineman

PS There is no test. Only visual inspection by a trained eye.

Electriceel
06-16-2006, 09:16 PM
Would like to add to this question, are harnesses required to be FR or Arc Proof.

graybeard
06-17-2006, 02:06 PM
Company is going to FR on new but all FR even the cloths have differnt arc ratings. I'm not sure what the arc rating on the harnesses are though.

md2
06-17-2006, 08:46 PM
I recently read a rule saying the are only good for 5 years no testing just get a new one....don't remember were I saw it though