PDA

View Full Version : How does your Company PROMOTE people ?

stickstomper
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
How does your company promote people in to management from the Bargainaing Unit ? Do they post it and take applications for interviews and choose from there, or do they use the good old boy system and hand pick the " Golden Child " to advance in to management ? We have the "Golden Child " system. Curious about your Co. THanks , Stick

PAPA
06-21-2006, 10:19 PM
Depends on who does the best job under the desk. We have idiots that run this outfit that can't spell lineman, much less no what we do to make them money. Gets worse by the day.

Stanman, at ComEdy Il.
06-21-2006, 10:37 PM
They hire you because you're diverse.(black, mexican, female, gay, alien) None of them know shit! But that doesn't matter anymore, as long as their DIVERSE! "I don't know what you guys do, but it's all wrong!"

These wet noodles couldn't tie our boot laces. Sad that "AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL" has come to this! Limp wristed, whiny, little bitches ruining this country! :eek:

Patriot
06-21-2006, 11:01 PM
SAme as every where else. A golf ball and a garden hose! And ours also uses seniority, coal hunkies time counts towards lineman, foreman,servicemens jobs.

CHICAGO HAND.
06-22-2006, 06:50 AM
Not To Many People From The Field Wanting Management Here. Probably Because Of How Great They Treat There Own.
So Its Off To The Street Corner With A Net And See Who They Catch. You Should See The People They Bring In To Just "manage The Work Force".i Love How They Try To Get Us To Do Jobs With No Knowledge Of Our Work.

graybeard
06-24-2006, 12:10 AM
I know of a place that just hired a woman to supervise an u/g crew. Supposedly she was an asst. manager of 2 u/g and 1 o/h crews. YEA RIGHT. There were guys in the company who didn't even get an interview.

Lizzy Borden
06-24-2006, 12:18 AM
We are bounty hunters. I could get $2000.00 if you get hired.

Maybe I can recruit and we can split it!

The also pay relocation fees and signing bonus.

The trip to the mental ward is free.

Squizzy
07-05-2006, 07:13 AM
This is a good thread had a good laugh reading through it so far! Yep all of the above applies where i come from except the sign on $$$. Some of our bosses whinge that we make more than them! Well why go into management and take a pay cut!

loodvig
07-05-2006, 07:56 AM
My favorite saying is, 'After a nation wide search'. So I guess it's the same all over. And yes we must be diverse in hiring too. We have a engineer who is from India. He has a waiver that says he does not have to wear a hardhat!

dungnfam
07-05-2006, 08:05 AM
Hey Loodvig! Did you hear about the engineer National Grid hired? He works either in Westboro or Providence, I can't remember. Anyway, he went through all his interviews fine but when he showed up for his first day of work he was dressed as a woman.

Squizzy
07-05-2006, 10:10 AM
Geez i would love to seen their faces when IT walked though the door with a skirt and 5 o'clock shadow ha ha ha can you picture the boss " I said I wanted I.T. support not an it!"

BigClive
07-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Some of our bosses whinge that we make more than them! Well why go into management and take a pay cut!

I've been on the receiving end of bitter whining office workers who see how much the guys on the jobs are getting paid for the huge hours they put in. As soon as you suggest they get a pair of overalls on and go out and work on site they instantly shut up.

loodvig
07-06-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey Loodvig! Did you hear about the engineer National Grid hired? He works either in Westboro or Providence, I can't remember. Anyway, he went through all his interviews fine but when he showed up for his first day of work he was dressed as a woman.

No I didn't! What bathroom does he/she use?

Squizzy
07-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I've been on the receiving end of bitter whining office workers who see how much the guys on the jobs are getting paid for the huge hours they put in. As soon as you suggest they get a pair of overalls on and go out and work on site they instantly shut up.

Thats always a good call. They certainly wouldn't get out of bed on one of those cold wet nights and go climb a pole. We had some engineers and some faultmen arguing a while ago over something I only only heard the last part which was
"Fine give me your phone number and I will call at 2am when we do it!" and that was the end of the argument.

Still laughing Dungnfam a cross dressing engineer,
"Is that a test lamp in your skirt or are you just happy to be at work this morning?!"

topgroove
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
We had a person in regional control in Buffalo who's name was Hank. One day he became Henreatta and wore a dress every day to work after that. He/she's retired now.

Squizzy
07-07-2006, 05:21 AM
We had a person in regional control in Buffalo who's name was Hank. One day he became Henreatta and wore a dress every day to work after that. He/she's retired now.

Yes topgroove but the bit about walking a mile in their shoes I couldn't walk a mile in stilleto's!

BigClive
07-07-2006, 06:12 AM

I hope he at least wore knickers if he was up poles.

Is the dress rated to withstand a modest electrical explosion?

"Yoo Hoo boys, I've got no knickers on today!"

"Oh dear."

BigClive
07-07-2006, 06:20 AM
Here's the official electrical industry warning sign for this scenario.

BigClive
07-07-2006, 06:27 AM
Or the more serious safety hazard asociated with:-

BigClive
07-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Yes topgroove but the bit about walking a mile in their shoes I couldn't walk a mile in stilleto's!

What about special linemans stilleto's. They lace up to just below the knee, have built in spikes, wire stripping notches and a bottle opener on the heel.

Available in shiny red, black or pink. They had to drop the gold and silver versions because of their lower dielectric strength.

I sholuldn't have said that. I just got this strange image of a 6'6" 350 pound lineman cracking open a bud on his size 16 shiny pink stilleto's.