PDA

View Full Version : old linemen

jkd
06-22-2006, 03:02 AM
Are old lineman that are still in the tools respected or hated for being slower?

When I started linework the old guys may have been a little slower but their skills and knowledge were appreciated by all.

I have been told that many companies and young linemen have the attitude"if you can't cut it, down the road"?

Koga
06-22-2006, 05:01 AM
:eek: First define old,and ya better be careful. As I told my ape, "You pick the poles and I'll give ya 5 min. headstart and I got a wallet full says I'll be finished, down, sittin in the shade drinkin a cold water at least 10 min before you." I wonder why he wont go for it. :cool: I do know what ya mean and I guess it depends on the older guy. Theres a lot more to a job than the labor end of it.

Koga

bobb
06-22-2006, 07:27 AM
Speed of someone really doesn't bother me and I'd no way hate them for it I couldn't care if they took most of the morning for a quick job. The only thing I hate about people is when they are unsafe!

LostArt
06-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Yeah! I'd like to know when a lineman is considered old! So, what age is that? I'd have thought retirement age, but I sure don't want to offend any of the men here that are still going strong! :D

What are the law of averages for a lineman to hang up his hooks? Anyone know the age?

Viperexaf
06-22-2006, 03:31 PM
lost i think it just depends on the person's body as to how much they can handle. Myself personally, i've always had a tendacy of telling the older linemen to explain to me how they want the job done and i'll do it and let them cordinate from the ground if need be. All the linemen i've ever worked with has been guys in their late 40's early 50's and every one of em if it come down to it could work circles around me. but i really think far as when they should hang up their hooks, just depends on how much their body can actually take without it bothering them too much. I've always been told your only as young as you feel and the people i've worked around most of my life then you tell em they're old, then they'll show ya how old they are and stomp shit out of ya when it comes to doing the work, be safe all

Trampbag
06-22-2006, 08:41 PM
When I started there were very few climbing linemen over 50 and almost none over 60. The trade was different then, no bucket trucks - everything was off hooks, and these old boys had been through 20 plus years of hard work in inclement weather with low standards of safety compared to today. Most all holes were dug by hand and winter was occupied by brushing when linework was slow. Transformers were set by rigging a snatch block top, with a gin, and bottom and poles were set with A-frame trucks and pike poles or by rigging. Towers were erected in small pieces with gins. It was a hard job.

I came in at the start of bucket trucks and we had boom trucks for setting transformers and poles. Life became a lot easier. Over the last 35 years there is helicopter settings, back yard machines, augers on every boom and backhoes in common use, crane trucks and cranes reaching more than 150’ (great for setting in easements), and a multitude of hydraulic equipment that makes linework today much easier. Few linemen spend all day, every day on the hooks today and even those that work a lot of easement have a lot of equipment help.

Considering this, why could Journeyman Linemen who are in reasonably good physical condition not work to and beyond 70? Also considering the severe shortage of qualified linemen can the trade afford to loose the hands?

riverhog14
06-22-2006, 10:36 PM
that in the next 3 to 5 years, 70% of lineman will be eligible to retire. That means I should have a decent chance to get started with this trade!

Outlaw Lineman
06-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Personally I've always had respect for ANY Journeyman who has shown they deserve it. Also I always tried to take care of the "seasoned" J/L as they have done most of the things I was learning. The "seasoned" J/L got the bucket and I took the pole. Just how I did it. Had an older tramp working on the crew quite a few years back, he had a steady pace and you always knew what you would get. An honest days work at the same pace everyday. I respect that man to this day he was a good mentor to us younger bucks who thought we knew more than we really did. I've learned more tricks and ways to do it from "old, slower linemen" than any "LINE GOD" I've ever met.

ROPEBLOCK
06-23-2006, 12:05 AM
I Dont Think It Right To Expect Your Older Jys To Hump It All Day.i See Them More Like A Mentor Teaching You Right From Wrong.i Dont Like It When Your Being Sweated Out By The Younger Guys

graybeard
06-24-2006, 12:01 AM
How many guys that you know that started when you did that have bad knees?

old lineman
06-24-2006, 12:54 AM
That's an interesting question that doesn't have a definitive answer.
There's too many things to consider. Age, health, ATTITUDE, work ethic and so on.
To me if a lineman is healthy his attitude is far more of a factor than the number of candles on his cake.
If an experienced lineman can't out work a young whipper snapper with his 'tricks of the trade' then he isn't really trying. Now I really don't think you'll find many old lineman who want to race, they are smarter than that.
It's like the young bull and the old bull standing up on the ridge looking down at a herd of cows.
The young bull wants to run down and do one.
The old bull says let's walk down and do them all.
My son is a lineman and has become a chip off the old block. He thinks before he moves and he cares about workmanship. Unfortunately he finds too many younger guys and (some old ones) who just want to slap things together.
If and old lineman takes an hour and you never have to go back and repair then that's faster than a young guy doing the same job in 15 minutes and your repairing it in a year or two.
The Old Lineman

Trampbag
06-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Most have back problems of various degrees, knees around my home country not so much. Poles where I misspent my youth were almost all untreated cedar and later green coloured pine or cedar, pretty soft. Not at all like east of the Rockies.

Most of the time when I worked the east coast the companies had bucket trucks galore and so I didn’t have to climb the hard eastern poles much because of this. The older guys there had knee problem but the younger ones, those that would be under 35 now, may not be suffering the same affliction because, as I said, many places we bucketed up from the late ‘70’s.

Hands like you, working for one utility, have probably spent a lot of time in your hooks and on hardwood poles. Winter and hard poles, where you work, is bad medicine.

dbrown20
06-24-2006, 10:44 AM
It's not really too hard to outdo a younger guy on a pole. Most of them have so little experience on poles that it's actually amusing to watch them get in the wrong position and get them selves in a bind right off. If they climbed on a regular basis I expect they would be more of a challenge, but they don't. I watch them often go up a pole with nothing but a handline and often no idea of what rigging they need. Need more climbing nowadays. Buckets have changed the scope of things. dbrown20

Trampbag
06-24-2006, 09:10 PM
I was trying to be diplomatic, which I normally am not good at. Ditto to you Mr. Brown. Hee Hee Hee. I never had problems with speed on a stick compared to someone much younger than I.

I can bet this starts something.

Viperexaf
06-26-2006, 12:44 PM
well brown, like most of us then, things always have to be learned the hard way. but if a person is struggling on climbing, then wouldn't it be better to have him climb more often and just have the foreman or lead lineman in the bucket watching him? just an idea

lineman641
06-26-2006, 04:12 PM
How many guys that you know that started when you did that have bad knees?
and back ,and elbows,and shoulders but a "seasoned lineman" can take a good power nap any where at almost any time. as for old ,i won't even go there!

bigfoot
06-27-2006, 03:08 PM
When I started as a trainee lineman the old boys were the one's to go with. They made it look so easey and never got out of puff.They would always stop at the same time every day for tea and lunch. But at night never rush at night.Saftey was not as good as it is now. But there was this thing called common sense. But now it is all rush and tare and no brakes.The new lads keep on pushing the button. To get it done in half the time with half the staff, no pride and some time's no under standing why it need's to be done. Just' that's the way I was told to do it! is the answer you get. But we were told to ask the old boy's why do we do it this way and if they did not know' The old forman would get an engineer to come and expain it to you why and how.It would take longer but it would be done right the first time and not have to be revisted again.

As for bad knees these are not so commom today as bad back's?. Are all the bad backs because we work out of bucket's now ? and bend at the waist more and more and not through out the whole body. When you stand on the pole you turn through out the body from your feet to your hand's you twist and also bend your knees as well.
let me know what you think

old lineman
06-27-2006, 06:02 PM
When I started as a trainee lineman the old boys were the one's to go with. They made it look so easey and never got out of puff.They would always stop at the same time every day for tea and lunch. But at night never rush at night.Saftey was not as good as it is now. But there was this thing called common sense. But now it is all rush and tare and no brakes.The new lads keep on pushing the button. To get it done in half the time with half the staff, no pride and some time's no under standing why it need's to be done. Just' that's the way I was told to do it! is the answer you get. But we were told to ask the old boy's why do we do it this way and if they did not know' The old forman would get an engineer to come and expain it to you why and how.It would take longer but it would be done right the first time and not have to be revisted again.

As for bad knees these are not so commom today as bad back's?. Are all the bad backs because we work out of bucket's now ? and bend at the waist more and more and not through out the whole body. When you stand on the pole you turn through out the body from your feet to your hand's you twist and also bend your knees as well.

Here's my two cents worth.
It's the bucket truck. Granted we can't get along without them but truly they are our down fall.
Linemen can get up and down by just pushing a lever. Downside, physical fittness. Outcome, bad backs.
Linemen use buckets to transport equipment to the pole top. Downside, groundmen are not observing what's going on up there. Outcome, accidents occur and the groundmen see nothing.
Hydraulics are stronger than any man could ever be. Downside, todays new breed of linemen can barely tie their shoes let alone splice rope or use rigging for a mechanical advantage. Outcome, using rope efficientally is a lost art.
Linemen knew how long it took to do a job and time was allowed. Downside, nobody is given enough time to work as safely as they want to. Outcome, the newer breed of supervisor pushes and pushes often with dire consequences. If you hesitate to contemplate your next move they wonder what's the hold up.
Bucket trucks I hate them but I love them so much for you to ever see me refuse to jump into one and work like hell. Safely though, so mister supervisor respect my knowledge and the time I take to do the job right and safely.
From your vantage point you can't possibly override my descisions. But don't stop watching I need your pair of eyes just in case I misjudge something.
I promise that if your diplomatic I'll take your advise.
Luv that bucket truck.
The Old Lineman

AzApe
06-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Best quote to date that a lineman has told me is:

"I don't want to be the best or the fastest lineman, I just want to be the oldest"

BigClive
06-27-2006, 08:11 PM

I reckon the real back killer in bucket trucks is reaching out. Although you could move the bucket back and forth, there is a tendency to work over a large area from one position. Because the rim is at waist height you tend to bend over it a bit and thats probably not very good for the back.

There's also the tendency to just grab heavy stuff and dangle it over the side as you go up. The bucket trucks are so smooth and powerful that maybe they're encouraging us to take much more of a physical load than if we were climbing.

Hey Bigfoot, do you guys require the IPAF certificate to work with your bucket trucks? I know there's a specific section for van mounts.

Bear_Boomer
06-28-2006, 08:42 AM
;) "old age and treachery will over come youth and skill", I hurt alot, but still give the kids a run for their money. B

BigClive
06-28-2006, 11:04 AM
Hey you don't look THAT old Bear. I'd guess early fifties?

bigfoot
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
hey to you bigclive. hope you are well? yes we do but that cost so we are pushing for new tickets and to cover all mewps

LostArt
06-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Hey you don't look THAT old Bear. I'd guess early fifties?

Uh.................you went a little bit over Clive!!! :D

You know you are old when they say, "I hope my wife looks as good as you at your age." Or if I am with my young neice, "Wow. Your grandaughter looks just like you! Unbelieveable!" ULGH.

But, the best part about being married to the my old lineman husband is this comment (and they are serious), "Really? She (me) is a year older than you? No lie???? Wow. I would have thought she was a few years younger." I grin and he frowns. Heh.

BigClive
06-30-2006, 05:46 PM
Uh.................you went a little bit over Clive!!! :D

Ah. Quick bit of arithmetic. Bears about 6 years older than me so that makes him about 47.

hammer13
07-01-2006, 07:33 AM
What's the problem.??As long as us older guys can climb we will and we'll still be teachin' the younger guys 'till we retire

dirtdobber
07-01-2006, 03:04 PM
the old school lineman deserve every bit of respect you would give your drill instructor. most everything I learned came from a 62 year old lineman 9 years ago and by GOD he is still working in the field. I say learn all you can from these MEN who bled & sweated there way to where they are at today. they can & will teach you if you really want to know just keep your mouth shut and your ears open!!!!!! :)

keithz
07-03-2006, 11:37 AM
Started 1977 Still Love Easement, Rear Prop A Lot Of Older Lineman Forgot More Than The Younger Lineman Know Slower Yes

Linemo
07-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Unlees the guy is a complete ass like swamp said we all need to watch listen and learn from our seasoned veterens {more respectful than old lineman} they will be the ones to mentor teach and answer those questions that we all have had along the way !One thing is for sure if you stay in this trade we all will have the chance to be the old lineman {I am almost 40 } and have a new groundman to train to become one of us !This is just one more thing that I respect about swamp he lives to teach and mentor apps and groundman alike to be good at our profession my hats off to anyone that feels the same !

loodvig
07-27-2006, 07:03 AM
I just turned 62 and I've had it.
'Braid rope' gimme a break! Kids can't even tie a bowline! They send up stuff with 6 half hitches! What's a clove hitch?
I used to work with a old timer who would yell down, " a single tight is better than a double loose". LOL