PDA

View Full Version : Lineman as Supervisors

OLE' SORE KNEES
06-30-2006, 12:49 PM
What do you think of lineman becoming supervisors? I have 2 trains of thought........1..Some never forget where they come from and are good at thier job..............2..Some are put there because they burnt down more wire than they ever put up........I am dealing with # 2 scenario right now frustrating as Hell............but fun to mess with, I can have that goat on a leash at any given moment !!!

hammer13
07-01-2006, 07:48 AM
hey sore knees sometimes it's a crock of sh*t when you end up in the position of supervisor 'cause you gotta look out for evreyone includin' yourself even if it's only temporary
#2 scenario guys i wouldn't trust 'em as far as i could throw 'em

stay safe out there

dbrown20
07-01-2006, 08:59 AM
Never a perfect formula. I have seen guys who were mediocre hands who weren't bad supervisors. I've seen good hands who weren't worth a damn as a supervisor. One place I worked avoided making a hand a supervisor in the area where he came up. They would transfer him a long ways off. It's hard to work for a guy who you worked with and he was a goof off. Gossip usually informs everyone of a person's ability anyway.

However in the long run an ex-lineman is to be preferred over a non-lineman. dbrown20

dirtdobber
07-01-2006, 02:57 PM
made my way from grunt to supervisor I have saved a few people from near misses or GOD forbid death been an asshole been a nice guy but as long as we all go home with what we came to work with I think then we are doing something. got 29 people to deal with its like having to be a dad,mom,lawyer,shrink,babysitter etc. but love every minute of it. :)

Stinger
07-02-2006, 12:13 PM
My IBEW ticket says JL and I never forget that. I am a GF now, but come tomorrow and I had to drag someplace, I am still a JL. I am lucky to the fact that I have good lead lineman on each crew. I have excellent supervisors above me, we have have good safety programs and safety support. We all understand we are brothers and work as a team to ensure safe, quality production. The thing I enjoy most up here in local 104 jurisdiction is that no matter what company we work for we are one big happy family and no matter who you work for(contractor) you always know the hands and we are all on the same sheet of music, safe quality production. Not only is this the reputation our hands want for themselves but also the reputation of our union.

bigfoot
07-09-2006, 05:15 PM
As for some supervisors you can trust them if they came up throught the rangs. But a lot of the go over to the dark side and forget where they came from but I think I have followed the light and would not ask any one to do some thing that i would not do my self. Also I would not push some one you has not do that job be fore but show them if they are unsure. SO tell me am a bad supervisor or just one of the boy's with a little more on back? :)

Patriot
07-09-2006, 07:16 PM
In 24 years I am yet to see one supervisor that came from the ranks that is worth the effort to degrade! Most that I have had to work for were not able to make it as lineman, or had some reacurring injury that took them to management.

flashman
07-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Afternoon all, there a many a scenarios that come into play when a worker wants to be a boss. One is that he may try to correct the stupidity he sees as a worker. Another is that he is under the impression he can make a difference in the way supervisors operate and really make a big difference.Sadly to say another reason is he has a pumpkin for a head and is laboring under the misconception that he is so smart and has his act together so much that the lineman he's in charge of are nothing but a bunch of lazy worthless people that he thinks he can and will whip into shape.We had the later become one recently and he is in for a big surpise. With his attitude he is going to get somebody hurt or killed and they are going to fire this guy faster than a firecracker on the fourth. Attitude is everything when dealing with people and few people that came up through the ranks develop the proper one. I would find it hard to be a supervisior to the guys that I worked only because my allegiance is to the company not the guys,thus making me a sellout to the company. Enough said about the jump. Take care and keep em' in lights. Flashman!

loodvig
07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Some of our supers crossed over because, when they retire as a super/management, the health costs are paid 100%. So I guess we are not getting the pick of the litter!

edski104
07-13-2006, 04:47 PM
like stinger said, in 104, hell, in the outside in general, the ape who worked for you one day may be your boss the next. in 104 we had a few "hand picked " guys go thru a little of the apprenticeship before they went into management, it did help a little. but most of us never forget those 2 little letters on the bottom of the ticket that reads JL.oh boys, daddies comin' home.

dog38
07-14-2006, 01:15 AM
The best supervisor I,ve ever know to exist lasted just a few months then he bumped back to a service wagon. He,s a damn good lineman. He just wasn,t cut out to be another back stabbing SOB! Beside the fact that he made more money as lineman. He never liked the fact that after he took the job upper manajment wanted him to screw with all of his help. Smart guy he was able to get out before AEP turned him into goddless puke of a supervisor which is all we have as far as managment is concerned!!!!!!!!! Once a fella takes managment posision the company makes them change wether they like it or not.

Alan Mac
07-14-2006, 12:04 PM
Best foreman I ever had was an ex lineman, knew all the tricks but when you needed something he knew what you needed and why you needed it.
Worst was an ex substation fitter who thought all fitters could walk on water and all linemen were thieves and charlatans. Maybe he was right, over here in England we have a saying, "Lock a lineman in a cell with a cannonball for eight hours. When you open the door, he'll either have lost it, sold it or broken it."

Mac

Span Guy
07-15-2006, 02:45 AM
You could be the best Lineman, best in safety, etc... get the promotion to Supervisor. When you make the step into managment, everything changes. You have to try and balance the requests from both sides. Not all people above the Lineman Supervisor really know alot about Linework. You have taken this promotion to better your quality of life. The pressure to be a "Team" player on the management side can get to you.

I know that anyone who is supervising Lineman, has to have been a Lineman.

I tried, the people above me were way to hard to please.

I am happy to be back working as a Lineman.

I do not have anything negetive to say about getting the promotion.

I had a very bad experience.

williek
07-15-2006, 07:48 AM
Somebody's got to be the boss and I would much rather have someone out of the field than someone out of the office. The bottom line is that you have to protect yourself. Follow the rules. More guys are killed on "Dead Wire" than anything else.

LostArt
07-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Not all people above the Lineman Supervisor really know alot about Linework. You have taken this promotion to better your quality of life. The pressure to be a "Team" player on the management side can get to you.

How true SG.

Even in the contractor world it can be hard to balance when you are a line super. You not only have your own management and upper management, you also have the company you have bidded on with their management. There are different rules and regulations in every power company/co-op. Plus, it is relating it back to linemen that might not be use to those regulations/requirements.

It is nice to know you can gain some respect along the way. The boss has managed to be on both sides of the scope and it has helped him in the last few years. But, not all the time has it been easy. Some will automatically hate you going in. However, the funny thing is............it's the regular linemen that did, but, many have since then changed their minds about him. So, it's working your way to earning respect from those that don't know your background or you from Adam's housecat.

The boss goes in and does his job. He really doesn't care if you like him or not. If you do, great. If not, he does his job the way they want it.........but if he is asked for advice, he gives it.

He still gets teased about moving up so quick and so fast. He didn't even want to be a GF. He loved being just a regular ole linemen for a change. Says there is nothing like it. And if you met him, he'd still tell you he was a lineman.

I think if upper management knew the heart/mind/experience of a lineman, there wouldn't be conflicts. But, it's something only a real lineman knows.