PDA

View Full Version : Question about Platforms

apprenticeCB
07-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Can anyone that uses Platforms on the hooks let me know 3 things
1st do they help stop the pain in the arches?
2nd are they worth the money?
3rd are they worth the harassment that I will receive from the other linemen I work with?
Thanks
CB

TEX
07-01-2006, 10:04 PM
I've seen 'em used CB and I can tell you, you can't climb over anything with 'em. They look like something a damn pussy would use. Don't throw your hooks away. Cinch 'em up and step into your wood. Hooks were made for MEN, platforms were made for "wana-be's".

OLE' SORE KNEES
07-01-2006, 11:11 PM
Knew a guy that tryed them, said they made his heels fall asleep, I'm with Tex- hooks are made for climbing and lineman should be able to strap em' on !

dbrown20
07-02-2006, 09:43 AM
The key to comfort in hooks is proper length adjustment, proper pads, proper climbing boots and proper length adjustment of your safety. Try different brands of hooks until you have comfort. I worked with a guy once who used no pads at all on his hooks. He pulled up his pants leg and placed the bare leg iron around his leg with only the top strap holding it around his leg. He insisted it was very comfortable for him.

Actually you are doing to much whining about climbing. Toughen up. Are you perhaps overweight or something? Figure it out. Ain't rocket science. dbrown20

bigfoot
07-02-2006, 03:58 PM
Actually you are doing to much whining about climbing. Toughen up. Are you perhaps overweight or something? Figure it out. Ain't rocket science. dbrown20

Weight has nothing to do with it??. I should know at 21st and still climbing. If you want to do it! you will do it. Too many people put things in the way and it gets up my nose. So if you use a platform it's because you have thought the job through and not rolling with the punches every day. So use what you need. If you are happy you will do a good job and it will all fall in to place. I have used them on heavy line work in the UK and they make the job go well and sometimes they are a pain in the ass put if placed in the right place it works fine.

electric squirrel
07-02-2006, 05:12 PM
CB, you are goin to have to get tough!Being a lineman aint for the meek of heart,although I see a lot of pussy's out there right now! Iam an ape too, pretty close to toppin' out,,, if you realy want the job you gotta just suck it up some. Puttin' pussy plates on your hooks aint goin to be some magic problem solver! I have two 3'' long screws in my left ankle from my old rodeo cowboy days ( ex bullrider) trust me I know how bad feet can hurt after a long day in your tools! You need to toughn' up ! Maybe try some different kind of hooks, I swap back and forth from klien to bashlin all the time! Or get a different kind of boot, I think Danners are a fine boot but they might not work for you , maybe those new age hiken' boots all the new guys are wearin'.I dont know what step you are but you need to PRACTICE climbn'.So you are relaxed up there!All that scared energy puts a lot of stress on your feet.Trust your hooks dont stomp your feet lookin' for a good hold, just step into the pole and RELAX. I have a 1 st steper on my crew , ex phone guy ,so he KNOWS all there is about climb'n :D .He wont even get his tools out unless he's told,cuz he's scared to go past the catv! Anyway he is terrified and all he does is stomp stomp stomp!then when he gets down hes beat! So beat he's pretty much useless the rest of the day,why ? Cuz he's scared and he dont trust his hooks,he cant reach out to the end of an arm cuz he thinks his feet are comeing out of the wood, but he wont practice to get any better. He has all the same excuses,my feet hurt, my hips hurt,my back hurts! Well I say if your in that much pain then you need to find a new line of work! Or be a bigger man and suck it up , my feet and back hurt too , but I dont let anyone know it.If you REALY want to be a lineman , then get on that pole as soon as the primary is tied in and let the other guys teach you how to do your job from the bucket, dont worry abut how bad your hurt'n if your busy move'n round the pole your feet wont have time to fall asleep or start hurt'n.The more you climb now the better you will be and trust me , you will get a run of nutt'n but backyard climbers! If you cant keep up the crew wont want you around. :( I say no too the plates and yes too gettin ' a little more hardcore in your mindset!!!! ES :cool:

Mike-E
07-02-2006, 08:57 PM
I've seen them used and they look awkward. I was told that once you get to your workin position and aren't movin, then they feel nice. But what guys told me and what the platforms looked like, I wouldn't waste my money. They flop all over when you climb and make a really annoying sound, even if you've got them as tight as you can get them.

thrasher
07-05-2006, 09:41 AM
We had one guy here who tore up his ankle badly. He was out for six months and had multiple surgeries, when he finally returned he used the platforms. Finally though when an opening came available he transferred to apparatus crew. He said the platforms could be used but he didn't recommend them to anyone with good ankles.