PDA

View Full Version : Guess Who Got Signed Off?

Squizzy
07-02-2006, 08:17 AM
Well it finally happened I have had the last of my paperwork signed off so now i am a linesman/cable splicer as well. I am also an electrician (fitter/mechanic) i don't think i want to do any more apprentiships 2 is enough for now.....

old lineman
07-02-2006, 11:58 AM
Well it finally happened I have had the last of my paperwork signed off so now i am a linesman/cable splicer as well. I am also an electrician (fitter/mechanic) i don't think i want to do any more apprentiships 2 is enough for now.....

Congratulations Squizzy,
We have a saying over here "Jack of all trades, master of none", I tend to agree with you in todays hectic lifestyle going through two apprenticeships is enough.
You need time to smell the roses.
Your far more capable than the majority but the learning never ends.
Keep your ears to the tracks and your eyes wide open. Now that you have the basics it's time to fine tune.
Watch the old timers and use them to sort out what to do and what not to do.
Best of luck in all of your work and hobbies. How's your bird business?
The Old Lineman

BigClive
07-02-2006, 03:30 PM

So if you originally served your time as an electrician before later deciding to serve another apprenticeship as a lineman, how did you handle going back down the wages scale to being on apprentice rates again? (I bet they were a LOT higher than the first time round!)

And what made you want to do linework instead of standard electrical work?

Does this mean you're part broad back and part narrow back now? :)

Squizzy
07-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Hi Guys,
wages were not a real problem as I was paid as an electrician to be trained as a linesman which ruffled a few feathers getting paid the same as some linesman from day 1 but you can't help that. As for what made we want to be a linesman I used to see the linesman working and around the switchyards etc. and it looked interesting and i remember in year 12 high school there was a poster on the careers officers' notice board that cross referenced your interests,likes and hobbies to what job would suit you. Mine came up as a soldier(spent 13 years in the reserves),a linesman,fisherman(often go fishing) and an electrician so i have done most of it now.
Yeah i do watch the and ask the old guys as their linework is first rate and the best way to learn is to watch and apply.Yes Oldlineman the birds are going well i am just about to take a heap down for sale bye for now....

zapman3021
07-03-2006, 06:59 AM
Well done man....i would like to say that you have just entered a whole new exciting world but you know thats all bullshit it just means you dont have to do anymore assignments and quite possably more work but thats life anyway see ya at work

woody
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
my congrats...squizzy...well done! Have a friend up here that has both tickets...put in the time...excellent hand. best of luck. woody

LostArt
07-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Congrats to you Squizzy!!

Old Lineman beat me to my phrase! My father use to say that all the time. Usually when we would say, "Man Dad, you can do anything." And there the phrase would follow, "Jack of all trades and a master of none."

Squizzy
07-04-2006, 11:11 PM
"Jack of all trades master of none", at 31 I have have plenty of time to master both, maybe......lol

LostArt
07-05-2006, 11:26 AM
"Jack of all trades master of none", at 31 I have have plenty of time to master both, maybe......lol

There ya go! A man who thinks positive! :D