PDA

View Full Version : For all you Tramps..........

LostArt
07-16-2006, 11:55 AM
Curious. How does it work? Are you guys a member of a designated union that hires out tramps for work or where the job is?

LostArt
07-16-2006, 06:48 PM
TrampLineman............how long have you been doing this? I thought I read somewhere that you have done close to 30 yrs, is that right (I thought it was you....maybe not)? Have you been doing this type of work all that time?

This is new to me. The boss (my husband) hasn't done this. For years he worked out of town, but always for a company.

When you say more experience, do you mean like distribution, underground and transmission? Or just those odd line jobs that might come up from time to time in all of them?

EDIT: No, it was Trampbag that has done 30 yrs. I knew one of the "tramp" guys said 30. Heh.

Trampbag
07-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi,

Yea, I have tramped this trade for around 30 years. Actually started a mini tramp in my apprenticeship, changing companies and local halls several times. I worked 500Kv transmission construction in summer and distribution with utilities in winter then. I certified as Jm Lineman in Mar '77, but started with a utility in '70 as helper, then meter reader and groundman with other utlilities and contractors.

I have been married once and still am, for nearly 30 years now with 3 kids, and they relocated when a major move either across country or oceans happened. I have not moved with companies rather moved to areas where I knew there was work and the money was good. Generally I have worked for any one company for about a year or less with the longest at one utility of about 4 ½ years, but the average with a utility is around a year ( I have worked for 5 utilities, two of the several times) and a whole assortment of contractors all union except for those in the Middle East, Africa and Asia where I worked under individual contract, so it was like union without a collective agreement. I belong to the IBEW (getting a 35 years pin soon) I and have belonged to a European union.

The longest I ever spent away from the family home was 8 months, but the family were able to visit a couple of times and just the wife a few more (I also got home for Christmas). I was away a month and home a month on many away jobs. The kids enjoyed the travel having seen Roman ruins, Arthur type castles and attending schools in different places with different cultures. One of my kids speaks two languages fluently, all carry two passports.

Economically we have done well most of the time, had money problems for a few years in the early ‘80s (but then who didn’t), and lived like rock stars for brief periods. I haven’t had the drudgery of going through the same door forever.

Not for everyone, but worked for us.

LostArt
07-16-2006, 08:07 PM
Well, that is pretty darn cool TB! Man, your family must be some kind of special. Thanks so much for your detailed description. I've often wondered about this, probably for the last year or so, but never took the time (or just failed to post a thread) to ask many of you about this unique linetramping/traveling type of work.

If any other tramps would like to post your experiences/life accounts, please feel free to do so. And many thanks for your answers to my questions. As always, I appreciate it guys.

--LA

LostArt
07-18-2006, 07:49 PM
Yep, I'm back. I know, but bare with me. Maybe some of the other guys want to know a bit about this also. Ya never know.

Anyway, I was curious to know about how many tramps are out there? Is there a way to know? Any statistics? I personally wouldn't know where to look.

Any guesses?

CenterPointEX
07-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Just for fun L.A. go down to your local local and sign the groundman books and see what happens...

LostArt
07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm in FLORIDA CP............wonder where the LOCAL is? Heh.

Sure. I'll just ask a rat contractor.

BigClive
07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Go on LostArt. I dare you to sign on... :)

Koga
07-21-2006, 02:09 PM
started something now! Ok LA I bet you aint got the ... uh... mmm...n... :o nerve :D And I dare ya to work through the summer if they call ya. :p Come on show us what ya got :D

Koga

LostArt
07-21-2006, 03:48 PM
Bull crap! You all know I can't do that even if I was daring enough to try!! :D What am I gonna do? Be an orange waver? Jeeze. You guys kill me. You really do. :D

Silly men.

CenterPointEX
07-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Out there in Cal there was some ladies waving orange... an some actually trying thier hand on the slapsticks...