PDA

View Full Version : gang operated switches

dog38
08-10-2006, 11:14 PM
I had a switching problem today that is all on me. I had to bypass 3 regulators and then go close one gang operated switch. I was extremely thourogh bypasing the regulators but on the switch I simply screwed up by not checking closely enough too make sure all three blades were properly closed. The switch was improperly installed which I should have caught imediatly. As a result of my inatention to detail resulted in droping two small towns. My point being if I had given as much thought as I did the regulators to the switch this would have probally ended the switching order and we could have gotten it repaired imediatly. I really hate to admit this but my supervisor was the one found it and bring it to my attention. So may be this sup. might be a little more intelagent than I first thought. I learned another lesson the hard way today. I have always said once you become jouneyman does not permit you to cut corners or to simply stop trying to learn more. I HAVE LEARNED MORE SINCE I TOPPED OUT THAN I DID AS AN APE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CHICAGO HAND.
08-11-2006, 08:02 AM
i have only done this work for a little over 15 years and i can honestly say that i am not even close to knowing 25%.
i told the new kid on the gang the other day during a normal switching routine to put "all" ppe on because i had a feeling something was gonna happen. now when i say all ppe i mean rubber gloves face shield and of course fr shirt. the face shield and rubbers i am not quite sold on yet but thats the stuff they pay me quite well to wear while switching.
we all make mistakes and that is the nature of being human so i hope none of us falls into the trap of thinking we have seen all or know all about this profession. if you think you have seen all come on to chitown and well give you a tour of some pretty old crap.we recently removed some equipment from 1929, the boys who put that in are long gone and so are there kids.

THANKS FOR SHARING DOG IT HELPS PUT SOME OF US IN CHECK.

dog38
08-11-2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks we all got watch not only your self but the guys with you also. We are or brothers keeper...............

just say no
08-12-2006, 08:54 AM
chicagohand,if you've been a lineman 15 years, and only knowing close to 25%,that is scarry......i don't believe thats something i'd admit to....

dbrown20
08-12-2006, 11:54 AM
Close them hard and open them hard. If you can't see the blades well, break out binoculars and check them. The old ones are liable not to make a good contact sometimes. I've had to take an extendo many times and pull the blades together until they make good contact. The ones I like best are called KPF switches. I don't know who made them but I expect the name comes from the co. initials or something. They have tremendous leverage on the operating handle. I always liked them. dbrown20

CHICAGO HAND.
08-12-2006, 05:06 PM
like i said come on over and ill show you crap that is older than both of us.
have you ever switched by hand on a switching table?
how about spliced on an undergroung 69 or 138 kv line?
its people who think they know more than they do that scare me.
oh the scenerios are endless in the windy city and i am not ashamed to admit i dont know everything it is something that has kept me out of the burn unit in loyala unlike some of my coworkers who's favorite saying is "i know,"i know".

just say no
08-12-2006, 07:19 PM
i don't care how old or how outdated the system you work on is you should know more then 25%....every large city in america has old outdated crap,including the area i came up in...miami-dade county..may not be as old as chicago but i can assure you there's a hell of alot more r/o crap and i won't even tell you about the salt spray on the beach side...i don't want to make this into a pissin match bro,i just thought after 15 years you should be more confident in yourself...and by the way i can asure you i don't know everything.....because the day i think that....... is the day i'll quit....did'nt mean to offend you if i did....stay safe....

loadbreak55
08-13-2006, 12:36 PM
:( :o Sorry to hear you" dropped the ball" on this one,but as bad as you feel,isn't great that you only dropped a few customers as opposed to launching the reg's or worse,getting someone hurt? Hell,we all have our moments man.Don't beat yourself up too much.I'll venture to say that this sort of thing won't happen to you again,LESSON'S LEARNED in this trade are all too often lesson's learned at the expense of a life or limb!!! : The light you see at the end of the tunnel;might just be a freight train coming your way! :eek: :eek:

byjuvc
09-17-2006, 11:01 AM
As a result of my inatention to detail resulted in droping two small towns. !!!!

I could not understand this line.

grillman
09-19-2006, 10:03 PM
The point of this story and Im sure dog will agree, is dont drop your guard. When we get to relaxed in our habits is when the accidents happen. Every body just be safe and keep your head focused.

THINK

matt 1245
09-20-2006, 11:39 PM
ha. dog theres always another day for linework. Be glad that everyone went home safe,

Hell, all you did was make some people apprecite electrity a little more

CPOPE
09-21-2006, 07:38 PM
Let's just be glad the oversight only caused an outage. Where I've been any switching order required Close, Check Closed and Lock closed. Written down and repeated back when after issued by dispatch and again after executed by field. No excuse but it’s happened to many and will happen again.

Gang operated Load Breaks, regardless of manufacture are inherently unreliable and come out of adjustment. I've had them flash over and had to have them beat open/closed with a switch stick. Realize if the operating handle is at grade they can be very hazardous. Stand on a ground mat (zone of equopentintial) or operate the handle from the bucket. Insulate or-and Isolate.

Personal opinion and I'm sure some will argue. A single blade disconnect with a tested loadbuster and switchstick from a bucket is better than a gang operated stick with an untested load buster and untested piece of fiberglass connected to a galvanized steel operating handle.

Glad it all worked out with only two small towns being dropped. "Just say no" who trashed "ChichagoHand" is overconfident. I came in the trade back in 79 and still learn something everyday. Don’t know where the endpoint is so I can’t tell you what percentage I’m at. If our pal from the windy city thinks he knows everything I can tell you he is about to go out in a flash of glory.

It's the line mechanic that thinks he knows everything that scares me most. Put yourself in a position where, if the worst happens everybody can walk away. Check, Recheck Insulate Isolate test dead and ground. Stay out of minimum approach and some as much as possible. Anything at anytime can fail unexpectedly.

If the Jack Booted Management complains about productivity just smile and hug the wife and kids when you get back to the barn.

CHICAGO HAND.
09-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Cpope You Need To Clean Your Monitor Screen And Adjust Your Bifoculs.
And Then Reread My Post, I Was Making The Same Point As You.