PDA

View Full Version : Any Info on CAST test?

danbutter
08-22-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=1993

I posted this in the apprentice forum, but nobody has responded there so I thought maybe someone in here has taken it?

thanks for any info you can give me.

Illumin8or
08-23-2006, 06:46 AM
Here in fe land the test was always a secret. The last I knew the test was thrown out to get into overhead . Reason, who cares about some worthless test that folks fail that has nothing to do with linework. You need to be able to climb. If you can climb you can be taught linework, but fail the cast test and you have no job.

danbutter
08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, seeing that you are the only one I have found to respond to it, I guess it must be a secret!

Im not going for overhead exactly. This is the job summary:

The Apprentice Electrician is a training position to develop the knowledge and skills a Journeyman Electrician will need to maintain system substation facilities.

I guess I'll just study the practice tests from the edison institute and hope that is enough.

highlineswitcher
08-24-2006, 02:56 PM
number one reason people find the cast test hard is they overthink it and get all screwed up with the time restrainsts . all the answers are giving in the reading and comp,. part just dont over think it . the math part if i rember is all about time get what you can done right, and the rest leave undone . the other stuff is puting in figures where none are giving work on theses ie. room layout with a door 24 inches wide other wall is 14feet long what is the distance of the wall with door on either side of door things like that but a bit more complex good luck where is it at????????

danbutter
08-24-2006, 11:16 PM
It is in Atlanta, GA and is for a GA Power apprenticeship.

Sounds like it is a universal battery of tests then...I just took one of these a month ago for another employer and passed it.

I try to approach these tests like you have said...I try to get what I can right and not worry so much about how much I get done.
I know I'm not stupid, but there is no way I could get all the problems done in the time allotted for these tests.
I have passed all the tests I have taken of this type using this approach.

So... fingers crossed I should get this as well.

44kv
09-23-2006, 08:48 PM
I took it for dominion power and I really stressed it but when I seen the test it was for nothing, if you can add and subtract then you got it licked! just get the ones you know and leave the rest. they say a blank answer is better than a wrong answer

danbutter
09-26-2006, 10:59 AM
I passed it also.
It was much easier than I thought it would be.
You can see my take on it in the apprentice forum.