PDA

View Full Version : "They don't teach this in Lineman College"

Hatteras
09-02-2006, 12:16 PM
The recent photo added in the pictures section show a lineman standing on the edge of his bucket, with the tag line "they don't teach this in lineman college". The reason it is nottaught in lineman college is it is unsafe and a violation of OSHA federal regulations.

OSHA 1926.453(b)(2)(iv) -

"Employees shall always stand firmly on the floor of the basket, and shall not sit or climb on the edge of the basket or use planks, ladders, or other devices for a work position."

Alan Mac
09-02-2006, 12:29 PM
While not condoning the actions in the photo, I think it and the tag were tongue in cheek.
We all know it ain't right, and we all are guilty of doing things we're not supposed to. Try not to let it get to ya.

Mac

ZapCzar
09-02-2006, 12:59 PM
Your right this is not the best practise, BUT I have done it too when the only other way was to climb the pole that had multiple risers and metering cable. The correct way would have been to climb it, but the safer way was to stand on bucket with safety around pole. We are alowed to transfer from bucket to pole , so I just look at it as I started to transfer then changed my mind. :)

unionhand
09-02-2006, 06:57 PM
The recent photo added in the pictures section show a lineman standing on the edge of his bucket, with the tag line "they don't teach this in lineman college". The reason it is nottaught in lineman college is it is unsafe and a violation of OSHA federal regulations.

OSHA 1926.453(b)(2)(iv) -

"Employees shall always stand firmly on the floor of the basket, and shall not sit or climb on the edge of the basket or use planks, ladders, or other devices for a work position."

I have been in the trade long enough to know the "hotdogs" don't last..work safe brothers,always

Squizzy
09-02-2006, 09:16 PM
We are allowed to climb in and out of an elevated bucket as long as we are secured to the pole before climbing out. As for sitting on the edge of the bucket I am guilty of that one. At 6 foot 5 inches I find the height of the edge of the bucket is just right to sit on and still have both feet on the ground. I do try not to do it but when the 2 guys I generally work with are lucky to push 5 foot 5 the level of the bucket is a subject of much conjecture...

NJlineman55
09-03-2006, 08:42 AM
I am also guilty of this act. Im not saying its right but I think the majority of men would do this instead of taking down the bucket, putting on the hooks, and climbing up for a simple job. If this were hot primary work or a compliacted task then maybe not. Once again not condoning the action, just my opinion.

BigClive
09-03-2006, 02:00 PM
I've done it too. Usually when there was no other way to get access.

Worst time was actually when I was doing a motor panel at Disney Studios in Paris. The access to the panel was so poor that the only way I could get to it was to raise the bucket right up unti it touched the bottom of suspended acoustic panels, then put a plank across the bucket and stand on that. Thanks to French health and safety regulations I wasn't allowed to wear my harness while in the bucket, and had to work the full day and right into the early hours of the morning in that position. Hmmm! :confused:

It wasn't helped much by the use of a battery munching tungsten head lamp. That's when I was introduced to the wonders of LED head lamps by one of the riggers.

tramp67
09-04-2006, 01:11 AM
I've done this, oh, maybe once or twice myself! I always make sure my lanyard is snapped in beforehand, just in case. Hard to be in the position in the picture if you are on the pole, nothing to belt into that high!

DuFuss
09-04-2006, 02:37 PM
Guilty. Not to the extent of the guy on that pole, but I have slid out of the bucket onto a crossarm to reach the rods while clipping in. My lanyard is still attached to the bucket and I make sure I'm not going to be able to fall into anything hot.

linemanfrog
09-04-2006, 11:51 PM
First and foremost I know that all safety rules are written in blood usually. With that said.....Everyone of us who do linework has bent, stretched, and even broken some safety rules. It is a part of common sense....the only thing is common sense isnt all that common any more. Clipping in wire while standing on the bucket lip...no problem. Moving an energized phase whlie standing on the bucket lip....big problem. It all boils down to common sense. Yes you can push the envelope of some safety rules out there. You better know what the rule was designed to prevent and why it is in place. Like I have seen someone on here say......you should always ask yourself the quesion....."What if?" Well if the answer to that question is death, injury, etc then you should not do that....if the answer is along the lines of everyone gets a good laugh, I bust my ass, I look like a dumb ass, etc....hell if you think it will work then try it. I am not promoting unsafe work....I am promoting common sense here. With knowledge of what can happen you can limit and prevent your exposure to unsafe happenings.

mscheuerer
09-05-2006, 09:39 AM
First and foremost I know that all safety rules are written in blood usually. With that said.....Everyone of us who do linework has bent, stretched, and even broken some safety rules. It is a part of common sense....the only thing is common sense isnt all that common any more. Clipping in wire while standing on the bucket lip...no problem. Moving an energized phase whlie standing on the bucket lip....big problem. It all boils down to common sense. Yes you can push the envelope of some safety rules out there. You better know what the rule was designed to prevent and why it is in place. Like I have seen someone on here say......you should always ask yourself the quesion....."What if?" Well if the answer to that question is death, injury, etc then you should not do that....if the answer is along the lines of everyone gets a good laugh, I bust my ass, I look like a dumb ass, etc....hell if you think it will work then try it. I am not promoting unsafe work....I am promoting common sense here. With knowledge of what can happen you can limit and prevent your exposure to unsafe happenings.

Okay....and thats fine except for when "common sense" somewhere, somehow doesn't trigger and one of our brothers or sisters lose their lives over something stupid like NOT HAVING THEIR GLOVES ON and making a secondary contact. All too often I'm reading about it on this board. When the incident first appears I usually take a stance and wait like most ofthe old timers do here and pay no mind until the hard facts are posted then give an opinion. This slows down the rumor mill. Sorry but safety is safety, it's put into place so you can go home at the end of the day to your families. I am sure that the "what if" question goes through our heads on a daily basis, heck I know it does mine. Personally, I think it's a bad image for lineman to see a picture like that because we REALLY DO have some great safety conscientious men and women out there. I can't accept the "hell if you think it will work then try it" philosophy cause theres no second chances in some of our circumstances. I say this because if there is not a minimal "blueprint practice" in place for whatever task you are attempting to do (i.e. perfected, practiced or tested) in linework then we are taught it is unsafe and DONT DO IT!

Lets try this instead....

Before you go and decide to take a risk, any risk, to do something that may be inherently unsafe or dangerous in linework, ask your self this instead:

Do I love my husband/wife?
Do I love my kids?
Do I want to go home?

It starts with YOU and ends with YOU. After all of your years of training and practice it's your decision.