PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Lineman Career

snvts82
09-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi, I was just needing some imput and advice from you guys who know what the hell you are talking about. So, I'm 24 and recently just got out of the military and a really intense deployment this summer and am currently enrolled in college. I'm a hard worker, love being active and need to do something challenging. The problem is that I really hate school. And one of my friends from the army who got out 1 1/2 yrs ago is now an apprentice lineman in Illinois and loves it and thinks I would too. I am thinking about enrolling at the Southeast Lineman School in Jan in Georgia which brings up my 1st question. Has anyone attended that school and knows how it is. Now for the work, I know there tons of different types of lineman jobs out there, but I was just wanting to know about them. Do most of the jobs require alot of overtime and traveling or are there some 9 to 5ers out there that are home everynight. Also, my number one choice of employment would be in Denver, and I was wondering if anyone has worked or works currently in Co. Any advice or info you guys have would be great. Thanks alot.

Matt

Koga
09-07-2006, 06:52 AM
First let me say thanks for your service to our country .I hired on in 1979 to the utility co. here in Baton Rouge. We are an IBEW shop.Started as a lower than whale %^# grunt and went through the apprentice program here. Our program takes 5 years total. Grunt for 1 year then App 4th, 3rd,2nd,1st class / journeyman. Each of the classifacations takes a year to complete,and you dont pass to the next class just because you show up. When I hired on a 1st class lineman worked everything from 500kv transmission hot bare hand to 120v urd street lights. No such thing as a " specialty lineman" you were expected to learn linework. Things change when we were bought out by Entergy in the early 90s .Our regular hours have always been 7am to 3:30 pm M-F give or take a few short lived experiments through the years. Any thing outside of that is OT. Im home with my family most of the time everyday, but this is subject to change at any given moment. If the job dictates you work OT then you work OT.The postman just thinks his motto about the weather sounds tough.All he has to carry is a few letters to the mail box.We hump what we have to in to the job site where ever that might be.And believe me some of our terrain around here is as hard to get through as any.We do go and help other utilities when they call so once or twice a year, maybe more, you are out of town for weeks.We usually are taken care of very well when we are out of town.On occasion we stay in some rat hole if thats all thats available.But not for long. All in all IMHO this is the best trade in the world and I wouldn't want to do anything else. The things Ive done and get to do ,very few people get to see. Very few are cut out to be a journeyman lineman 1st class. I would try to hire on to a good utility co.( if you can find one) and stick with em. Nothing against trampin but I personally have had enough of moving around when I was a kid.Good luck to ya.

Koga

Husker apprentice
09-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Hey kid, all kidding aside a job as a lineman is one of the best, and rewarding careers out there. If you are considering Colorado for permanent employment, try Northeast Community College in Norfolk, Nebraska. The instructors are (were) all 1st class Journeyman linemen at surrounding utilities.
The program is two years, the first year is basic electricity, ropes and riggings,math,first aid,and line construction etc.. Then you do a intership with a utility for 12 weeks may - august, The second year, is transformer connections, more line construction, simulated hot work, bucket and stick work. This program gets people from New York to California. The web site is northeastcollege.com check it out! I graduated in 2004 and work at a rural electric cooperative nearby, best move I ever made. Good luck to ya! :cool:

NJlineman55
09-22-2006, 06:40 PM
DO yourself a favor and go back to school.

Bull Dog
09-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I can tell you its not the way i would make a living if i had it to do over. The co are turning into shit and feeding shit sandwiches to the workers run away as fast as you can.

Line Cowboy
09-22-2006, 09:53 PM
SELCAT is a top notch program, went all the way there for that reason, I'm from colorado my self man. I will put my e- mail in your private box with more info if you want

flhdawg
09-23-2006, 09:45 AM
hey newbie if i could get some selcat info from u that would be great...also were u living in colorado when you attended selcat? it sounds like selcat is almost the same as the neat program. I know someone one who is on the list for the neat program but has not recieved the call yet..was wondering if he would be better off checking out selcat..thanks for any info

Line Cowboy
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
Well if yer dead set on goin union here it is...
SELCAT fairburn georgia-(770)964-1042
Or if non-union is somthing you might like to do try Great Southwestern in castle rock Co. you're gonna have to travel regardless :) I went all the way to Tennesee from colorado to be in that program it is real good but tough better cock yer hammer

flhdawg
09-25-2006, 06:20 PM
thanks newbie.....i'll check out great southwestern and see what they are about.

thanks again

lewisgwen2
10-25-2006, 08:07 AM
I do no some that work for them and i have lost a child to this job and I sure wish he would have worked for them.

scammy
12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
its alot like an intence deployment ,,the guys are great ,youll find brotherhood and all the asshole and dicks there is ,,,,but they are my brothers ,,,they are great they will do anything for you ,,,,,,,scammy

shaun
12-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Rank Occupation Death rate/100,000 Total deaths
1 Logging workers 92.4 85
2 Aircraft pilots 92.4 109
3 Fishers and fishing workers 86.4 38
4 Structural iron and steel workers 47.0 31
5 Refuse and recyclable material collectors 43.2 35
6 Farmers and ranchers 37.5 307
7 Roofers 34.9 94
8 Electrical power line installers/repairers 30.0 36
9 Driver/sales workers and truck drivers 27.6 905
10 Taxi drivers and chauffeurs 24.2

I dunno who did this pole.

scammy
12-03-2006, 11:15 PM
death is around us all the time ,,,the most dangerous part of our job is driving to work, we all have had our losses,,dont discourage these young men from being lineman you know it and I know ,,,its the best job ever,scammy I believe farming is most dangerous job now

riverhog14
12-04-2006, 09:18 AM
Well while we got some attention on the subject, I am in college as well and want to be a lineman. Im going to at least finish 2 years before I start my career in linework. Im in a "College and Career Success" class, and we have to write a paper about the career we want to persue. I have some questions for everyone:
1. What would be a good college major for someone entering this career?
2. What is a typical day on the job like?
3. How much OT have you worked? ... say in the last 6 months.
4. How much did you start out making as a grunt, how much did you make when you first became journeyman, and now?
5. What are some of the biggest challenges you encountered?
6. What are some of the biggest rewards in this career?

Everyone responding please include your name, job title, and place of employment. Thanks alot guys.

Calvin Batts
Ocala, FL
RiverHog14@Bellsouth.net

Koga
12-22-2006, 11:44 AM
1) Advanced Drinking , Spittin, Cussin,101
2) Somedays you eat the bear, Somedays the bear eats you!
3) More than most other folks see in 5 years.
4) Not enough , a little better, I can pay my bills and have some nice toys.
5) Bean counters and degreed assholes for bosses.
6) The look on folks face when the lights come back on, the looks on the faces of my brothers when we finish an all nighter after a storm and everyone goes home the same way they came to work 24 to 30 hrs before.

Koga :cool:
Lineman 1st class
Choctaw Line Dept.
Entergy/ Gulf States Utilities