PDA

View Full Version : Hello to all (selcat ?)

King Kong
09-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Hello to all new to the forum, and like what I see on the this site. Well the reason for my question about(Selcat) is I have been a cable splicer about 9-10 years now out of local 222 in Florida, but my dreams was always to be Journeyman lineman, So Now am joing the selcat program to follow my dream of becoming a journeyman lineman. My ? for yall is what step you think selcat will put me into after doing underground distribution for the last 10 years or so,Well thanks to all in advance, and yall stay safe :cool:

electric squirrel
09-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Not putting you down at all bud,,,,But just cuz you have down u/g for ten or so years dont mean you should be granted any time at all.Putting on elbows is a lot different from sticking, or ride'n on the skid of an airship.You want to be a journeyman ,,you need to start at the bottom and learn the basics and how to do it right and be safe doing it.Your gonna learn stuff that you never seen in ten years doing u/g, on your first day doing o/h.Theres more than one way to lick a cat! Why should you get to skip some steps just cuz you know u/g so well? Your gonna be a better lineman if you learn how someone else does the same job you have done for so long.In my opinion you are cheating yourself AND the system if you are trying to get ahead of everyone else.E.S. :cool:

King Kong
09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
And no hard feelings on my behalf. I was just asking a question that's all ,and looking for feed back like the 1 you gave me ;) . Well I have done a lot of work in this trade out of classifaction, what I mean is I have climbed pole's to put in ground in rear of lots and have put up secondary services off of hooks, and also have down plenty of rear of riser poles and have reworked secondary bus services and lateral feeds in bucket trucks and off hooks/ done plenty of switching o/h and u/g and also have gloved stuff that needed to be covered in order to get the job done right and safe. All this has been out of my class by what it states in my union agreement. But I was trained to do it and what I have been doing for the last 10 or so years,I just don't sit and splice lead cable or build elbows I have done quite a bit as a cable splicer. a lot of the time out of class, but yet I have done it, I am not looking for short cut but I would like to get credited for a lot of my knowledge that I have been trained by working with lineman or cable splicer or substation tech in the years that I have done this for, not asking for (selcat) to put me in 5th step or anything like that but you do need to have time in the u/g and I should have surpassed that time and credit me for whatever time I have worked with lineman doing line work. If you ask me 3rd or 4th steps sounds just about right where (selcat) should start me off, I,m not a rookie in the trade by far, just not a lineman, as of yet. this is not my frist rodeo, Just trying to get credited for my time that's all :cool:

Mike-E
09-14-2006, 10:53 PM
just guessing but I'd bet second or third step. but you'll probably have alot of book work to do.

Hurricane Harry
09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
keep splicing, your body will thank you, tell mike hi.

King Kong
09-15-2006, 01:08 PM
keep splicing, your body will thank you, tell mike hi.

As far about keep splicing, done it for a while now, and it not that easy on your body especially if you do p.i.l.c splices in these shitty M/H we got down here in Miami, But I do love to splice pilc it a lost art and not to many people can do it, Just want to follow my dreams in becoming a Journeyman lineman, never know it might not be 4 me but wont know till I give a try. talked to some my buds today they told around 2nd or 3rd (selcat) will put me into. and that fine by me, and like I said not looking for any short cuts, just looking to get credited for my time, Thanks to all :cool:

Hurricane Harry
09-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Mike your business agent at 222. Done many, many lead splices in miami. If you want to stay in the area, I would take a look at fpl, you can always quit if you don't like it. Come out here to Seattle if you want to remain a splicer, they are looking, and they have some of the best conditions around. If they hire you, and you decide to bid app. lineman, there is a good chance you could keep your same pay scale that you hired in on. The rain can be tough.

King Kong
09-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Mike your business agent at 222. Done many, many lead splices in miami. If you want to stay in the area, I would take a look at fpl, you can always quit if you don't like it. Come out here to Seattle if you want to remain a splicer, they are looking, and they have some of the best conditions around. If they hire you, and you decide to bid app. lineman, there is a good chance you could keep your same pay scale that you hired in on. The rain can be tough.
should have know you where talking about Mike Bell, I will keep Seattle in my mind if thing don`t go the way I plan thanks again