PDA

View Full Version : Conservator less Transformer

byjuvc
09-17-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi All.
In our utility , I found some transformers(3 phase ones) do not have any conservator tank. Can any one provide me with any manual for similar Transformers. Any website link would also do. The main motive is to understand what is taking care of the conservator function?

Thanks

Byju

dbrown20
09-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Explain what a conservator tank is. dbrown20

HighPotter
09-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Hi All.
In our utility , I found some transformers(3 phase ones) do not have any conservator tank. Can any one provide me with any manual for similar Transformers. Any website link would also do. The main motive is to understand what is taking care of the conservator function?

Thanks

Byju

I assume your talking about substation class transformers?

First, it is vital on large oil filled transformers to keep moisture out. Keeping them air tight is your goal, because air means moisture. Air/Moisture is bad

The two most common types of substation class transformers ( for example, 10 MVA to 100 MVA ) are either conservator tank, or nitrogen blanket.

A conservator tank is a oil filled tank, mounted above the main transformer tank and piped into it. It is usually filled half way ( maybe 50 to 200 gallons) , and is used to keep the level of the oil in the main tank always full. In other words, this extra oil creates head pressure, and so the main tank is always completely full of oil, no matter the temp. That way, no air is let into the tank, no air, no moisture.

A Nitrogen blanket system is different. It does not use a conservator tank at all. When the transformer is first filled, they leave the oil level down a bit from the top. Then, in this area they pump in Nitrogen. The nitrogen just sits on top of the oil, and creates a positive pressure, which keeps out the air. Typically, a tanlk of nitrogen is piped into the tank, with a regulator, which monitors the pressure, and adds when needed. Positive pressure is good, a vacuume is bad.

Hope this helps

HP

Hemingray Insulators
09-17-2006, 04:06 PM
HP, thanks for the good explanation, i did not know what a conservator tank was either.

dbrown20
09-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Contact a manufactor like GE. dbrown20

byjuvc
09-18-2006, 10:36 AM
The Transformer is a Crompton Greaves make. 250 KVA rating. It doesn't have the conventional conservator tank.

HighPotter
09-18-2006, 05:46 PM
What is the primary and secondary voltage?

With that size kva, it probably doesnt have a conservator or a nitrogen blanket. It just a free breather.

HP

byjuvc
09-19-2006, 10:01 AM
What is the primary and secondary voltage?

With that size kva, it probably doesnt have a conservator or a nitrogen blanket. It just a free breather.

HP

Well the primary voltage is 11 KV and the secondary voltage is 0.44 KV. This is standard in India for Distribution Transformers. Well there is no breather in this Transformer too .Recently I came to know from one of our seniors that the Radiator fins of this transformer contain bellows which open up when oil expands . Oil moves into the fins and cools naturally by air circulation. Also the transformer oil doesn't come in contact with atmospheric air and so there is no breather. People say it is a "hermetically " sealed transformer.