PDA

View Full Version : What are yall getting for poles?

JAKE
09-25-2006, 10:40 PM
since the cresole poles are becoming hard to come by what are yall seein comin in replacing them? CCA ? PENTA?? STEEL ?? CONCRETE??

we got a batch of penta's a few years back and we only got one batch. everyone hated them. but now we dont have a choice.

im gonna miss that smell of cresoil pullin into the yard!!

GAFF MAN
09-26-2006, 10:05 AM
We Have Gone To Copper Napthenate ( Cunp ). They Had A Bad Reputation At First, But We Have Had Good Sucess With Them. They Seem To Age Better Than Penta And They're Not As Brittle As Cca. We Have Been Threw Alot Of Hurricanes And They Hold Up Pretty Good.

harley
09-26-2006, 05:41 PM
We use creosote for the most part. Use alot of steel poles. Have just started using multi piece fiberglass poles for the rear lot lines. Looking at trying some CCAET poles to see how they are to climb.

NJlineman55
09-26-2006, 06:28 PM
I dont know the technical name for the but I have been seeing nothing but green poles where I have been working. They are fine if you dont need to climb them, but when you do they fucking suck. Thank God I got an apprentice for that.

wstxpwr
09-26-2006, 09:00 PM
The green are cca's and they suck to climb. We got rid of them after several apps. cut out in climbing school. Also If I remember there was an accident or a near miss in South Texas involving a cca pole. All we get now are penta.

scammy
09-27-2006, 10:16 PM
dont worry about them too much ,,they are gas treated and dont last more than a few years,,,,scammy

Outlaw Lineman
09-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Usually about a 12 pack per pole....oh wait not what you meant. We are using butt treated cedar and penta treated fir in our wood poles and some steet (every body hates them)

Squizzy
09-28-2006, 04:14 AM
What just a 12? its a carton of 24 coldies as a "standard" here like the one we are cutting up in the morning for a "friendly Friday :D " other than the old hardwood poles all the new ones are CCA treated......

thrasher
09-28-2006, 08:20 AM
We have been using nothing but CCA since 1978. It's real easy to tell the guys that keep thier hooks sharp from the ones that don't. Only real problem we have is the CCA poles burn to easy. We have lost numerous poles to farmers burning fence rows. Even when we think we have the pole out it's still smoldering inside the pole and then it falls 6-9 hours later.

Outlaw Lineman
09-28-2006, 08:56 PM
That 12 pack was for 10-12 footers. Whole poles were way more!!!
Barehander got a clearification about that question. Talk to you latter.

graybeard
10-07-2006, 12:21 AM
I thankfully haven't had any experiance with cca's but I thought that there are gafffs for cca? Anyone getting laminated poles so you don't have to use guys?