PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Rescue

mscheuerer
10-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Good articles regading "harness Hang syndrome" for our brothers...

http://ecommerce.hysafetech.com/htmdocs/news/index.php?id=7

http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib032404.html

Hopefully we'll never have to impliment them....

old lineman
10-10-2006, 08:22 PM
Good articles regading "harness Hang syndrome" for our brothers...

http://ecommerce.hysafetech.com/htmdocs/news/index.php?id=7

http://www.osha.gov/dts/shib/shib032404.html

Hopefully we'll never have to impliment them....

When you say "bucket rescue" my ears perk up. I read your post and see that you are more interested in 'Suspension Trauma' than actual bucket rescue.
In my mind I see three reasons why we do bucket rescue.
1. DISABLED UNIT, the rescue procedure is called 'self rescue' because the worker will use a descender. No suspension problems here.
2. HURT MAN RESCSCUE, that is when the worker has been rendered unable to fend for himself and a co-worker must lower the bucket/s and remove the injured worker/s himself. Some units reach the ground and some don't. For those who don't and the provide another option many companies provide a set of block and tackle for a mechanical advantage. No suspension problems here either.
3. THE WORKER COULD BE CATAPULTED OUT OF THE BUCKET, this could happen if struck by another vehicle.
In my opinion this is the only scenario where 'suspension trauma' could occur.
According to the newest info a worker could lose conciousness and die. If suspended in less than 15 minutes. It's extremely rare and it is possible to happen here but not probable.
There are too many factors to get hard numbers but I can't see where this is a problem in this industry.
That being said, working structures is another kettle of fish. Rescue equipment must be on site and everyone has to be trained in a rescue method.
The Old Lineman

fastlane
10-11-2006, 06:13 PM
We have plenty of 1 man buckets running around with no other help anywhere near.Who knows what might cause a guy to get tossed out but whatever the reason he would most likely be on his own for some period of time.Sounds bad to me,thanks Mscheuerer for the info.

BigClive
10-11-2006, 06:49 PM
Not sure how your regulations go, but for bucket work here in the UK the IPAF requirements are for a restraint lanyard as opposed to a fall arrest one. The restraint lanyard physically prevents you from leaving the bucket while a fall arrest unit would result in you dangling well below the bucket once the shock absorber had unravelled. the latter could make it difficult to get back into the bucket.

edski104
10-12-2006, 12:23 AM
the osha regs. here are basic. if you are working out of a bucket or another overhead device,you need a full body harness with a 6 foot fall arrest lanyard.we're issued one's with a steel D ring on the back and a steel snap to snap onto it. the only thing it says right now in osha regs about that is that you cannot snap nylon onto steel or the reverse. i was on the osha website last week and it looks as if they are looking to make some major updates to everything relating to linework,as most of it was written in the early 1970's.guess we all just got to keep on watching out for each other,cause who else is gonna do it?sometimes i do miss the old days,tho, when a 2 foot body belt was enough to do your job,and you were treated like the JL you were and not like a kid who can't be trusted to do his own thinking. :cool:

Alan Mac
10-12-2006, 02:26 AM
Not sure how your regulations go, but for bucket work here in the UK the IPAF requirements are for a restraint lanyard as opposed to a fall arrest one. The restraint lanyard physically prevents you from leaving the bucket while a fall arrest unit would result in you dangling well below the bucket once the shock absorber had unravelled. the latter could make it difficult to get back into the bucket.

I recall from my IPAF training that if a bucket is out on full stretch sideways, use of a fall arrest may cause the vehicle to tip. That was another reason we were told to use a restraint rather than a fall arrest. I know they make the trucks bigger in the USA, but so are the people.

duckhunter
10-12-2006, 07:25 AM
Bashlin makes a self rescue device for basically rappelling down if thrown out of the bucket while alone. The problem with it is that you would need it on you if the situation arose. So now you would need to wear one more thing. For those working alone, make sure you call in when you get in the bucket and tell dispatch what time you should respond back.

I don't think working alone is a problem, generally when we hear about accidents there were multiple linemen around. And if there were safety in numbers, the safest day to be in the woods would be opening day of deer season.

mscheuerer
10-12-2006, 09:42 AM
When you say "bucket rescue" my ears perk up. I read your post and see that you are more interested in 'Suspension Trauma' than actual bucket rescue.
In my mind I see three reasons why we do bucket rescue.
1. DISABLED UNIT, the rescue procedure is called 'self rescue' because the worker will use a descender. No suspension problems here.
2. HURT MAN RESCSCUE, that is when the worker has been rendered unable to fend for himself and a co-worker must lower the bucket/s and remove the injured worker/s himself. Some units reach the ground and some don't. For those who don't and the provide another option many companies provide a set of block and tackle for a mechanical advantage. No suspension problems here either.
3. THE WORKER COULD BE CATAPULTED OUT OF THE BUCKET, this could happen if struck by another vehicle.
In my opinion this is the only scenario where 'suspension trauma' could occur.
According to the newest info a worker could lose conciousness and die. If suspended in less than 15 minutes. It's extremely rare and it is possible to happen here but not probable.
There are too many factors to get hard numbers but I can't see where this is a problem in this industry.
That being said, working structures is another kettle of fish. Rescue equipment must be on site and everyone has to be trained in a rescue method.
The Old Lineman

OL, I agree, and in most cases (Like I read in another post here already) there are multiple line persons available and would be ready to assist in an emergency situation. My ears perked up as well after coming accross the article(s) listed above more so in pertaining to the fact that the "hang syndrome" exists. I guess basically it's meant towards letting all of our brothers know that god forbid in the event something does go afoul that "time is of the esscence" as noted in the articles. I am NOT knocking any emergency personnel (I am one myself, 20+years and am sure there are plenty of other line hands that are too) however I too know how response times can affect certain situations. Being rare breeds, especially with the electrical and mechanical knowledge that we must posess it's nice to know that we can keep this one in the back of our heads.

BigClive
10-12-2006, 02:11 PM
The whole suspension trauma thing has been brought up a few times here, but it's always good to revisit it for the guys who are new to the 'net or forum and who don't realise the issue exists.

In summary, if you fall in a fall arrest harness and are left suspended for more than about ten minutes, the straps around your legs can restrict flow of blood and this can result in death. Pulling yourself up to relieve the pressure and pumping your legs will push blood back into the upper body and buy you time.

powerhotdog
10-12-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey duck we just practiced bucket escape and it was pretty informative. All you need is a handline which you should have with you, a collar rope with also and a caribeaner and figure eight.You can pick the last two up at Bass pro shops.
Anchor one end of handline to boom,tie swiss seat with collar rope,attach figure eight and carribeaner attach rope through figure eight and basically do a self belayed rappel.
It is really easy if you are Properly trained in it which every lineman and ape should be. Powerhotdog

old lineman
10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey duck we just practiced bucket escape and it was pretty informative. All you need is a handline which you should have with you, a collar rope with also and a caribeaner and figure eight.You can pick the last two up at Bass pro shops.
Anchor one end of handline to boom,tie swiss seat with collar rope,attach figure eight and carribeaner attach rope through figure eight and basically do a self belayed rappel.
It is really easy if you are Properly trained in it which every lineman and ape should be. Powerhotdog

Prp Bass shop doesn't sell ONE product that would ever meet the criteria for supporting a human while at work.
When on your owntime you can use anything you want but your employer is bound to have to provide equipment that is UL, ANSI, ASTM or CSA certified.
It'a a liability thing and they won't stray from the beaten path.
Use a Munter hitch instead of a figure of eight.
The Old Lineman

fastlane
10-16-2006, 11:26 AM
Bashlin makes a self rescue device for basically rappelling down if thrown out of the bucket while alone. The problem with it is that you would need it on you if the situation arose. So now you would need to wear one more thing. For those working alone, make sure you call in when you get in the bucket and tell dispatch what time you should respond back.

I don't think working alone is a problem, generally when we hear about accidents there were multiple linemen around. And if there were safety in numbers, the safest day to be in the woods would be opening day of deer season.

I agree that we are getting to bulked up with stuff to carry and wear(even though it might save your ass,sometimes these things hamper your mobility)but the idea of calling in every time you go up by yourself wont do much good unless someone can get there in a matter of minutes to help.
There might not always be safety in numbers but chances of getting rescued are much better when someone else is there.
I dont know exactly how often guys wind up hanging from their buckets anyway,but it sounds like having a cell phone or portable radio on you that works would be a good.If not then OSHA says your employer must provide and train you in self rescue.
I still think the best answer is not working alone. Even the most trivial and simple task can turn to shit in a hurry.This job is dangerous and we should all try to exect the unexpected.

old lineman
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I recall from my IPAF training that if a bucket is out on full stretch sideways, use of a fall arrest may cause the vehicle to tip. That was another reason we were told to use a restraint rather than a fall arrest. I know they make the trucks bigger in the USA, but so are the people.

For North America that statement is Hog Wash.
All manlifts have to have a stability factor of 1.5 to 1 for the USA and 2 to 1 in Canada. No worker would/could ever exert enough force to tip a unit over.
I can't imagine that it would be any lessor in the UK, perhaps I'm mistaken.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
There seems to be some concern about remaining suspended in a harness for an extended time.
Although I've never heard of such a case, it doesn't mean that it couldn't happen.
For those who have to work alone (not a good situation,because I think OSHA forbids workers who have to wear fall protection from working alone).
There are products that can be affixed to the full body harness that can be deployed by the stricken worker for relief.
It is a stirr-up arrangement that the worker can place his/her foot into and push down the leg into a standing position. This relieves the choking effect of the leg straps allowing the blood to circulate.
It's better than nothing, but still no picnic.
The Old Lineman

UPDATE----In the original article I said that I thought that OSHA wouldn't permit a worker who had to wear fall arrest equipmenmt to work alone. I'M IN ERROR.
Actually this is a statement coming out of research done at The University of Texas Medical Branch Hospital at Galveston, Texas.
Research was being done for NASA by a team of experts. The article is a summary of findings and written by Bill Weems and Phil Bishop.
The title is 'Will Your Safety Harness Kill You?'
After the testing they made numerous reccommendations.
The first one they made was:
WORKERS SHOULD NEVER BE PERMITTED TO WORK ALONE.
I firmly believe this is correct, but this statement and my believing that it's correct doesn't translate to the law.
Companies who permit this to happens should re-evaluate thier policy and take this relatively NEW information to heart.
This article was in the OHS (Occupational Health and Safety) magazine in 2003.
In apoligize if my statement caused any of you problems.
The fact still remains that it's not right to work alone where there is a possibily of a fall and the worker has done everything he/she can do to protect himself and dies because the equipment meant to protect KILLS.
The Old Lineman

BigClive
10-16-2006, 04:38 PM
For North America that statement is Hog Wash.
All manlifts have to have a stability factor of 1.5 to 1 for the USA and 2 to 1 in Canada. No worker would/could ever exert enough force to tip a unit over.
I can't imagine that it would be any lessor in the UK, perhaps I'm mistaken.
The Old Lineman

It is indeed hogwash. I'd never go up in anything that unstable. Keep in mind that they have to handle their full load at full reach with a generous safety margin to allow for modest wind speeds.

A long time ago a group of us decided to test the stability of a large cherry picker by putting it's boom full out horizontally over a grassy area and then we all piled into the basket and swung it up and down to see if we could get the wheels to lift off the ground. We didn't succeed in tipping it, but we did succeed in giving ourselves much greater confidence in using the things.

old lineman
10-16-2006, 08:13 PM
It is indeed hogwash. I'd never go up in anything that unstable. Keep in mind that they have to handle their full load at full reach with a generous safety margin to allow for modest wind speeds.

A long time ago a group of us decided to test the stability of a large cherry picker by putting it's boom full out horizontally over a grassy area and then we all piled into the basket and swung it up and down to see if we could get the wheels to lift off the ground. We didn't succeed in tipping it, but we did succeed in giving ourselves much greater confidence in using the things.

In Canada our buckets must have a 300 lb. capacity (it's the same for the USA).
That means that if the unit is a double bucket and is placed in it's worst position. Booms fully extended at zero degrees. That would be at 2:00 o'clock over the passenger front wheel or drivers front wheel and placed 600 lbs. in each bucket (1,200 lbs.) the unit wouldn't tip over.
In the USA the same truck could only withstand 900 lbs, due to the reduced safety factor. 2:1 Canada vs 1.5:1 USA.
Every unit must have a certificate of stability signed by a registered structural engineer on board. Therefore, it is not necessary to do as you did and check for yourselves.
The Old Lineman

Alan Mac
10-18-2006, 02:11 AM
OK, maybe I missed his point on that one.
From the IPAF manual, "the employer must determine the selection of appropriate lanyards to provide fall restraint or fall arrest by conducting risk assessment as required by current regulations". My employer was recommended by IPAF, and stipulates to us, the use of fall restraint lanyards.

"In assessing the risk the following points must be considered. Is the anchorage point identified as restraint or fall arrest?" All the ones I have come accross, both company owned and hired in, are not marked as fall arrest so must be considered as restraint only.

"At what height will the operator be working? The use of fall arrest at low levels is ineffectual, since the shock absorbing element of the lanyard may not arrest the fall within the required distance". One of our manuals states 6M clear space below the point of work to allow deployment of the fall arrest lanyard.

Mac

old lineman
10-18-2006, 07:19 AM
OK, maybe I missed his point on that one.
From the IPAF manual, "the employer must determine the selection of appropriate lanyards to provide fall restraint or fall arrest by conducting risk assessment as required by current regulations". My employer was recommended by IPAF, and stipulates to us, the use of fall restraint lanyards.

"In assessing the risk the following points must be considered. Is the anchorage point identified as restraint or fall arrest?" All the ones I have come accross, both company owned and hired in, are not marked as fall arrest so must be considered as restraint only.

"At what height will the operator be working? The use of fall arrest at low levels is ineffectual, since the shock absorbing element of the lanyard may not arrest the fall within the required distance". One of our manuals states 6M clear space below the point of work to allow deployment of the fall arrest lanyard.

Mac

Alan,
If a worker can free fall it's FALL ARREST protection you are faced with.
If a worker can 'free fall' then he MUST wear a full body harness and be attached with a 'shock absorbing' lanyard.
The anchorage if designated has to have a minimum strength of 5,000 lbs.
A non-designated anchorage should be able to withstand a peak force of at least 2,000 lbs. Typically these are randomly selected points of anchor.
Your aerial devices all have engineered anchorages that meet the engineered criteria.
Thus your workers have to wear full body harnesses and a 'shock absorbing' lanyard.
DON'T USE BOOM STRAPS! The reason is that they change orientation to the buckets and when flipped to the inverted position the lanyard length is lost. If an unconcious worker was being rescued via the lower controls he/she could not feed slack into the lanyard and serious or fatal injuries could result.
Another reason is that they deterioate in UV
Personnally I don't believe that a worker falling out of a bucket on the end of a boom would ever exert enough force to deploy his 'shock absorber', that is due to flexing in the boom.
A shocker absorber is engineered to begin deploying between 835-900 lbs. The maximum elongation for a fully deployed shock absorber is 3.5' or 42".
As for the fear of striking the level below the total fall distance can be dramatically reduced by using a SRL (self retracting lanyard) instead.
A 'fall restricting system' stops a fall in inches. Typically 6" or less, however, the maximum distance allowed is 2 feet.
By stopping a fall this quickly there isn't enough dynamic force to activate a 'shock absorber' so one is not required for this type of system.
Typically you would find this type of system when climbing a vertical fixed ladder. These are found on telecommunications towers and elsewhere.
The Old Lineman

Alan Mac
10-18-2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with what you're saying, that's why we use a fall restraint, it physically prevents you falling out of the bucket in the first place as opposed to a fall arrest system which stops you eating dirt if you do fall out.

I also appreciate the 42" extension of the shock absorber, but this is part of a 1.5M lanyard, add to that the height of the lineman, a bit of give in the harness etc. The attachment point could be below waist level (I know it shouldn't be but when you're on the arm of a tower it's gonna be round your feet somewhere) which adds into quite a bit of room needed. I know, were getting onto towers now when we started in a bucket, sorry.

I know about fixed systems too, we are in the process of installing Latchways systems on all our towers, it'll take a few years but we're getting there.

Mac

old lineman
10-18-2006, 10:01 PM
I agree with what you're saying, that's why we use a fall restraint, it physically prevents you falling out of the bucket in the first place as opposed to a fall arrest system which stops you eating dirt if you do fall out.

I also appreciate the 42" extension of the shock absorber, but this is part of a 1.5M lanyard, add to that the height of the lineman, a bit of give in the harness etc. The attachment point could be below waist level (I know it shouldn't be but when you're on the arm of a tower it's gonna be round your feet somewhere) which adds into quite a bit of room needed. I know, were getting onto towers now when we started in a bucket, sorry.

I know about fixed systems too, we are in the process of installing Latchways systems on all our towers, it'll take a few years but we're getting there.

Mac

Here's some numbers to contemplate.
A 6 foot worker attached to an anchorage adjacent to the dorsal DEE of the full body harness wearing a 6 foot lanyard falls.
The shock absorber fully deploys.
His feet will be 15.5 feet below the anchor.
Factor in a safety margin and you need about 18 feet of clearance.
The old Lineman

Alan Mac
10-19-2006, 02:03 AM
I didn't come up with the 6M clearance, that was given by a harness maunfacturer but it does tie in with the figures you give OL

Hey, I ain't here for a fight. If I can learn I will, and if I can help I will.
The more I learn and the more I can help others, the more chance of a few more of us becoming old linemen too.

Mac

duckhunter
10-24-2006, 01:04 PM
I did some rappelling years ago, before they made harnnesses. Or at least the guy that taught me didn't use a harness. He was fresh out of the Army Rangers. He taught me to make a seat out of rope called a "nut buster". I can testify as to the name. We then used two caribeeners on a rope. It was fun and pretty easy, I'm not sure I would want to train anyone to use the method now, it worked for rangers jumping out of helicopters. I think with the harnesses we have now it would be easy though.

BigClive
10-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Do you mean using the caribeners as a crude figure eight device?

old lineman
10-24-2006, 07:43 PM
I did some rappelling years ago, before they made harnnesses. Or at least the guy that taught me didn't use a harness. He was fresh out of the Army Rangers. He taught me to make a seat out of rope called a "nut buster". I can testify as to the name. We then used two caribeeners on a rope. It was fun and pretty easy, I'm not sure I would want to train anyone to use the method now, it worked for rangers jumping out of helicopters. I think with the harnesses we have now it would be easy though.

Don't want to burst your bubble, but I was wearing a full body harness in 1967.
If your talking about an era before that--- you are like me, 'as old as dirt'.
The old Lineman

duckhunter
10-25-2006, 03:40 PM
Like I said the guy was just out of the Rangers, he was teaching me the way he knew. I assume the Rangers were not issued harnesses then because of their jobs they had to improvise.

And Big Clive, yes, the caribeners were used as a crude figure 8.

BigClive
10-25-2006, 04:58 PM
That sounds a novel use for caribeners, but I wonder if they actually predated the figure eight in that application.