PDA

View Full Version : nstar

alanbt
10-13-2006, 08:11 PM
just looking to see how green the grass is. would like basic details if anyone is willing to provide them for me. thanks

loodvig
10-13-2006, 08:54 PM
What happened at the Grid?
Peabody light is down some people.

alanbt
10-13-2006, 09:07 PM
couldnt afford the pay cut after i went back to court and the child support went up. the overtime was there, so they say, but i cant work overtime all the time. heard that nstar had higher rates, but that hasnt been confirmed.

lewisgwen2
10-14-2006, 01:57 AM
just looking to see how green the grass is. would like basic details if anyone is willing to provide them for me. thanks
hi you don't no me I'am the mother of a son who died june 13th 4 months ago and i don't no how to get in to rooms or what ever to help me find out somethings. My e-mail are blonde200425@ya-hoo.com or LEWISgwen@aol.com. any help i would me so grateful .thany you for your time.

Bell Wrench
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
ALANBT,
Let me start by saying that I am a lineman for NSTAR and I enjoy it.
I work a steady 40hr week, most of the time. I do not travel far from home or family, most of the time. I work out of the same truck every day and I start at 7:30am and leave at 4:30 pm , most of the time. Linemen make about 35 an hr. so the money's good too.
The bad part is that there is not as much double-time. There are few out-of-towners. You can not just pack a bag and leave if there's a hurricane in Fla.. There is very little transmission work. Mainly we're here for a few capital jobs a year, routine maintenance, and the occaisonal storm. Every year the company gives more of our capital work away to contractors.
Our numbers are dwindling due to lack of hiring in the past and now the company is scramling to hire on new people. This can be dangerous because most of the outsiders we get are not maintenance linemen but construction linemen. Most have built lines but never maintained them.... never jumped breakers to change a pot or built a 3 phase bank for ex.
We need good linemen to join us. I work in " the south " or the old Com Electric territory. The cape area used to have over 100 linemen now there down to about 50. Plymouth had about 60 now there down to 6 hot stickers and about 12 leaders. New Bedford had over 50 and now there down to about 4 hotstickers and 12 leaders. see the trend?
Many of our people are afraid we will lose all our work to contractors but I know we won't . The contractors are hurting for lineman as bad as we are. This is not a trade many young people are looking at as a career I guess. I know I can't see myself donig anything else until I retire. Speaking of... Many of the leaders we have left have only a few years left before they can retire so if your looking for some semblance of stability this may be the company for you. BTW Local 369 UWUA AFL-CIO