PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready for Deer Season?

"little beaver"
10-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Anybody getting ready for Deer Hunting? We've been scouting them out for a couple of months now. This year in our area of BC I can take both a Mule Deer and a Whitetail. We've been seeing some nice ones on our farms and the neighbors. Our season starts on Nov 1.

thrasher
10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
I am an avid target shooter and still hunt squirrels and rabbits, but after nearly getting blown away by some "city" hunter taking sound shots I haven't been in the woods during deer season since 1978. I don't even like going down a right of way at work on the first or last day of the season. I wish you luck on your hunt and hope you don't have any drunks or city boys in the woods at the same time.

old lineman
10-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I am an avid target shooter and still hunt squirrels and rabbits, but after nearly getting blown away by some "city" hunter taking sound shots I haven't been in the woods during deer season since 1978. I don't even like going down a right of way at work on the first or last day of the season. I wish you luck on your hunt and hope you don't have any drunks or city boys in the woods at the same time.

The city boys are at least 500 miles from L'il Beaver. He's safe.
Good luck, Mike. Go for a muley there's more eatin.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
10-16-2006, 08:24 PM

The city boy's are at least 500 miles from L'il Beaver. He's safe.
Good luck, Mike. Go for a muley there's more eatin.
The Old Lineman

thrasher
10-17-2006, 04:05 PM
If it's 500 miles to the nearest city I might go deer hunting again. I'll tell you though two loads of buckshot thru a bush fifteen feet below you on a ridgeline is a memorable experience, especially when it's illegal to shoot back. I very quietly dropped down the opposite side of that ridge and tore up my deer license that day.

Trampbag
10-17-2006, 05:47 PM
Beaver,

I haven’t been in your part of the world in over 20 years, but the last time I was there it was crawling with deer both white tail and mulies especially in the bottom land a little to the west of you, right along 29. Is it still the same???

Alberta Apprentice
10-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I bought 3 whitetail tags and a mule buck tag. I only have one doe WT left to fill my tags and i got drawn for a cow elk so i guess ill have some meat for the winter. the deer population out here is way out of control and there aren't enough hunters anymore.

"little beaver"
10-18-2006, 01:28 AM
Beaver,

I haven’t been in your part of the world in over 20 years, but the last time I was there it was crawling with deer both white tail and mulies especially in the bottom land a little to the west of you, right along 29. Is it still the same???

Yea, TB it's pretty good. The best part of it, to answer Trasher's question, is that in BC you can't hunt on private property without permission and the CO's really inforce it. Between my son and I we have 640 acres, most of it really good hunting. So we don't have and issue with errant hunters as a rule. Between Grandsons, son-in laws etc we spend lots of time hunting.

In September I was up at Tuchodi Lake Outfitters(west of FT Nelson). My buddy and I took out a couple of brothers from Illinois. One bagged a B&C Moose and the other a 6-point Elk. They were very gracious with their tips plus we had lots of fun!! Can't have it much better than that!

squeakfish
10-20-2006, 10:00 AM
just returned from a moose hunt. we shot a cow and calf on opening day at 9.30 am.just came back from the butcher with 600+ pounds. be safe in bush

PK270
10-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Just got back from youth weekend here in Texas. My 9 year old missed a 150 class buck. I think he is going to have a heart attack, you talk about buck fever, he hyperventelates practically when it is "go time". It is funny to watch but real hard to settle him down. But then again that is why we do it. Well, there is that backstrap thing to.

"little beaver"
10-30-2006, 12:33 PM
You never out grow it! I started hunting with my Dad from an early age. I was hunting on my own from age 11 or 12. Three years ago I got a nice 5x5 Mulie first thing in the morning on opening day. Later that same day I was stalking a really nice Whitetail just before dusk.
The wind was blowing hard. I was behind a large bale in an open field and I tried a long shot (275yds) and missed. The deer being confused by the wind started to come toward me. It was about 90yds or so from the bale when I peaked out to have a look, it of course saw me, so I knew I would have to shoot. I was shaking etc; a real bad case of 'buck fever'. I missed at that close range. ( I figured that I shot over the top of him as I have my M-99 Savage sighted in for 225yds)
After all the game I've shot through the years and the Mulie I had just taken in the morning! It didn't make any sense, but that's what makes the sport so much fun. (BTW: About a week later I did get my Whitetail, but not as nice as the one I 'buck fevered' on.)

Alberta Apprentice
10-30-2006, 07:32 PM
the first time i shot at a buck i was 14 and he walked out about 50 yards in front of me in a cut block. as soon as i saw those antlers i was shaking like it was 40 below. i took a frantic, ill advised shot, missed by a mile and cut my nose and eye for 8 stitches with the scope. it wasn't even that impressive a buck but you live and you learn i guess. i still get teased about that day but i'd imagine im not the first one that's happened to. happy hunting gents.

LostArt
11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
Well, I think it's been over 20 yrs since I went deer hunting. I grew up birdshooting and squirrels. When I started dating the boss, I went with him. When the kids came along, I didn't go with him as much. But, there were some years in there when we teased the boss about his slob hunting. For a while there, we had deer for Thanksgiving each year. The boss would take the trash to the dumpster and on the way would kill a deer. We teased him for the longest. He said, "I can't kill a deer when going hunting. But, I can make a trip to the dumpster and they come out and meet me." :D

He doesn't go deer hunting anymore. He has been dove hunting each year and this Saturday is going turkey shooting....but really...times have changed. At least around here. You have to pay big bucks to join a club nowadays. And as I tell you guys, the boss is cheap! :D Plus, the deer around here aren't much bigger than a large dog. But, I see a lot of them, but they are protected by either a subdivision or a state park.

"little beaver"
11-01-2006, 11:22 PM
You sent me a birthday greeting last year. It was much appreciated.

As per the Deer hunting, I was out today and saw a nice 'respectable', 5x4 Whitetail. However, I resisted the temptation to 'whack it'. I want to have my two grandsons with me, so I'm hoping I can find him again on Sat morning!

LostArt
11-02-2006, 09:16 PM
You sent me a birthday greeting last year. It was much appreciated.

Holy cow! I better not forget it this year since I did it last year! :D

Hope you and your grandsons get the big one....................heck...........make it more than one big one. :D