PDA

View Full Version : Cutout Mounting Brackets

Damn Yankee
10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Just curious if any of you have any ideas on cutout mounting brackets to ease installation. The typical NEMA 'A' & 'B' brackets, commonly called "L" brackets work fine, but I'm thinking I'd like something you could simply throw ever a crossarm ans simply tighten a single bolt. Any ideas?

doug
10-26-2006, 06:33 PM
just take a "L" bracket and drill a hole for a 5/8 bolt.use a 6" bolt with a sq.
washer on the back side.you can also drive a small lag screw or nail in the "L"
bracket.this works pretty good.don't have worry about those small nuts etc.
try it.

Special ED
10-31-2006, 06:53 PM
The "L" brackets you mentioned are a bit of a pain to install in gloves but they aren't too bad. But driving a small lag screw in them or drilling a single hole and using a 6 inch carriage bolt don't sound like a good idea.. Overtime after several winters the water and ice, as well as the vibrations will loosen the lag screw or the single bolt and you never know it just might be you to get that gets the call to go out and refuse it late one night and when you go to close the fuse the whole thing will turn on you or worse the whole damn thing come off the pole. (Yeah I had one come off the pole on me cause it wasn't installed correctly)

Think about the next lineman who might have to come along and work on that pole and do things the right way. Today you might just be screwing the next man to climb the pole but tomorrow you might be the one getting screwed.

shocker
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
we use a switch and arrestor bracket for arm installation.looks like two L brackets one being inverted with a bolt on top and one under the arm.just throw it over and install the bottom bolt .one side for switch the other for arrestor.i think this is what your looking for?

Damn Yankee
11-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Shocker, that sounds interesting, although I cannot really visualize it. It does sound like something I had in mind. I was thinking something like a bracket attached to the cutout coming out of the box, that you simply placed over the crossarm, having it stay put while securing a single bolt

shaun
11-05-2006, 07:45 PM
Damn Yankee, we always put our cutouts on the bracket on the ground, top carriage bolt through both the L bracket and ,either another L bracket (for an arrestor), or the flat bracket (don't know what it's really called..sorry). The bottom carriage bolt through just the L bracket. The trick is not to tighen up the nut on the top carriage bolt. Just thread it on far enough so maybe a 1/4" of the bolt is showing behind the nut. This way it can be placed on the arm and sits there nice and pretty and also leaves you with both hands to to work the bottom bolt and nut, washer.... If you thread the top nut to far onto the bolt, it won't sit right, too loose, it may just pop off the bolt. I know that doesn't really answer your one bolt question but it works real easy and like I said, it'll sit on the arm all day till ya get to it. try it on the ground with a regular crossarm. By the way, hello to everybody, great site! I learn a ton of stuff hear. didn't see a new members thread so here's my hello to everybody.