PDA

View Full Version : Bucket truck hit.

BigClive
11-09-2006, 04:37 PM
Had a thrilling experience today, Was working from the road across a large paved area and through between two pillars of a building in my access unit when a double decker bus took a corner wide and hit the back of my boom.

Up in the bucket I just heard a loud crunching noise and the bucket jolted forcibly to the side, just stoppng short of hitting one of the pillars. At first I though a jack had failed or gone through the pavement, but it transpired the bus had clipped me. Fortunately the point of contact hand been the rear corner of the buses fibreglass shell, so it had failed without applying excessive pressure to the boom. Cones were in place to divert trafic away from the overhanging boom, but obviously didn't work in this instance.

Could have been much worse. If the bus had clipped a jack I could have been smashed up a bit or thrown from the bucket. Was wearing harness and hooked on though. Unit had to be returned to base for structural inspection.

Bus was a bit ripped, but no visible sign of damage on boom.

http://www.emanator.demon.co.uk/bus.jpg

Trampbag
11-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Lucky you weren’t seriously hurt.

Is that Glasgow, by the way? The red sandstone buildings kinda looks like it.

tramp67
11-09-2006, 07:54 PM
I guess you could say you were lucky in this! Sounds like you had yourself a safe work zone, but need to find a place with better drivers!

BigClive
11-10-2006, 12:43 PM
It is Glasgow. The city centre to be precise.

The area involved has a rather congested one way system with a continuous stream of buses trying to force their way round a tight junction.

I'm going back to finish the job on Monday complete with lots of extra cones and signs to make sure the c*nts get the message!

Trampbag
11-10-2006, 01:26 PM
Are you on Sauchiehall Street??

BigClive
11-10-2006, 06:22 PM
The incident happened in Queen street, although I took the picture of the bus after it had pulled round into Ingram Street.

Trampbag
11-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Gottcha, Mate. Heavy congestion near the University. My wife recognised it, played there when she was young.

I hope to be in Scotland next year. Can we hoist a pint??? I like Green Mantle, hard to find, but worth the effort, but Alloa or McEwans Export will do. A wee nip of Bowmore 12 as well.

BigClive
11-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Gottcha, Mate. Heavy congestion near the University. My wife recognised it, played there when she was young.

I hope to be in Scotland next year. Can we hoist a pint??? I like Green Mantle, hard to find, but worth the effort, but Alloa or McEwans Export will do. A wee nip of Bowmore 12 as well.

Absolutely. Just give me a shout on this forum or from the email address at:-

http://www.bigclive.com

Plenty of beer variety in Glasgow and Edinburgh.

BigClive
11-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Finished the job today, albeit with some aprehension. Went overboard with cones and signs. No bus was getting near my boom this time!

On the other hand, this guy wasn't so lucky. :(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/6105390.stm