PDA

View Full Version : Bucket Liner

pumkin
11-15-2006, 07:38 PM
We are a small utility lineforce and I am looking for some input on bucket liners. There are about 4 or 5 guys that like the extra protection of a liner.
The company leaves it up to the indiviual whether he wants one. Out of 130 lineman 4 or 5 is not that many. We glove up to 13200 and I dont think there are too many companies out there that don't require one and have a test program for them. I would appreciate any info you guys might have.

linemanfrog
11-15-2006, 08:39 PM
If you look at the OSHA requirements, bucket and boom manufacturers, etc. you will find that a dielectric liner is REQUIRED to provide you with the needed protection to do live line maintenance. Have you guys been gloving for long? Or has most of your work been done with sticks? I guess if you have been gloving for long you guys must either be damn lucky or extremely damn safe. The fiberglass bucket on a aerial device is not rated for voltage. The upper fiberglass boom and lower boom insert is (should be) tested and rated for high voltages. I am extremely surprised that a company would even consider allowing employees to work in buckets without liners.

I know our company tests our trucks twice a year. After the proper dielectric tests are done on the boom, they pull the liner out and test it as well. If you are one of the ones not using inserts then I would highly suggest you start. It is one more barrier between you and a coffin.

topgroove
11-15-2006, 09:00 PM
I would never conside working out of a bucket without a liner.

Bull Dog
11-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Its is required to have a bucket liner. I am shure osha requires them. It suprises me that there are still some companys that havent got the word on this. It definitly is a safety issue and the bucket may have a crack or the fiberglass break down. All your bucket trucks should have a liner and im surprised you havent had any problems. sometimes we lucky I know. We glove everyting and this is not up to employe to decide wether a liner is used or not. Same as wearing rubber gloves its manditory.

JD426H
11-15-2006, 10:59 PM
This is a joke....right? You'd have to be nuckin futs to work without a bucket liner !

loodvig
11-16-2006, 05:46 AM
We change the liners twice a year.

Pootnaigle
11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
I aint beleiving anybody would work without a bucket liner! I had a friend that was killled due to a defective liner( had a hole in it) The fiberglass bucket will become contaminated with dirt and track over from being exposed to the weather. Never ever work without a liner if your workin something thats hot. You dont get many second chances in a deal like that. Its definately an OSHA requirement and they must be tested at least once a year.And if you dont have a bucket dump how the hell are you goin to get the rain water outta the damn thing? Trust me on this one, its a highly stupid thing to do. I been doin this crap for over 30 years and working out of a bucket truck is wayyyyyyyyy more dangerous than people think. You can shunt out yer protection with a shoulder or any of your body thats exposed above the level of that bucket. When your ona pole you KNOW that yourGrounded and work accordingly, so easy to make one slip out of a bucket, That liner is one of your most important safeguards USE ONE

KingRat
11-16-2006, 06:15 PM
no wonder we lose men, loodvig cant you arrange to get one of those used liners to this poor s.o.b. :(

tramp67
11-16-2006, 07:22 PM
Had a new truck arrive on the job once, and the liner blew out in transit. GF said too bad, not going to spend the money on another liner. My answer: Too bad, I guess we won't get that 24.9kv pole transferred, will we? Not only is the liner a dielectric barrier for you, it also helps protect the mechanical integrity of the fiberglass basket. Ever bump a step against a pole? Same type of damage can happen if you drop something in the basket without a liner. Better hope you remembered to snap in! :eek:

wudwlkr
11-17-2006, 09:22 AM
OSHA does not require dielectric liners be used in bucket trucks. The only liners OSHA requires are conductive liners when doing bare-hand work. Their view is that you should be using rubber gloves/sleeves and coverup or maintaining minimum approach distance or deenergizing and grounding.

That said though, I agree with the others, dielectric liners are cheap insurance and I wouldn't glove out of a truck that did not have one. The reality is that it is impossible to keep the bucket from occasionally making contact with an energized phase while working and the plain fiberglass bucket is not tested or rated for dielectric purposes.

mscheuerer
11-17-2006, 05:32 PM
We are a small utility lineforce and I am looking for some input on bucket liners. There are about 4 or 5 guys that like the extra protection of a liner.
The company leaves it up to the indiviual whether he wants one. Out of 130 lineman 4 or 5 is not that many. We glove up to 13200 and I dont think there are too many companies out there that don't require one and have a test program for them. I would appreciate any info you guys might have.

With all due respect; my answer to whomever you are reporting and asking this information for should be: Why would you risk the safety (of yourself) as well as the lives of anyone who would be requesting one in the first place? You can't put a number on life safety. Not for ONE or the rest of the 130 line hands you have working with you. The facts about the liners are this: 1). They area relatively in-expensive. 2). Required and recommended by osha. 3). They are proof tested. 4). They are reliable and are widely used. Why in this day and age would a company put ones life on the line over a proven device that would limit the amount of accidental electrical contact that could cause a death or serious injury?

Try asking your boss that and when he says due to $$$ then ask him what it's worth if god forbids someone gets killed. You probably could have outfitted the fleet for the remainder of it's life schedule and then some.

Hope this opinion helps. Good Luck and get back to us.

Budda
11-19-2006, 09:30 AM
I would not even consider gloving/working out of a pail without one..I like going home everyday. You should consider collecting some literature on this..

eskimo
11-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Make sure you have a bucket cover or atleast a couple bucket hooks for the oval bags on the lip before transporting. That liner will get sucked out like a paper cup. Unfortunately I know it will happen. When it did and I arrived at the job site, we had to wait until another liner was delivered before we could go to work. I know here in New England you can't work with out one, nor should you.

Be Safe stay safe

loodvig
11-19-2006, 05:37 PM
Well that's a new one on me! I have never heard of a liner coming out of the pail!

mrgrowl791
11-19-2006, 08:03 PM
This has got to be someone screwing with us.

Pootnaigle
11-20-2006, 08:31 AM
I know it seems impossible but I've seen it happen. a Liner can be sucked rite out of the Bucket while in transit. I have a hard time understanding it myself. Half the time you have heck getting one out on purpose. I suppose some kind of aerodynamic force is created causing a vaccum inside the liner and out that bad boy comes....

Budda
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Crazy or not, It has happened to me twice.. Driving a along the higway , and all of a sudden, I see a liner bouncing behind me..now if I leave my cover off, i will leave my hooks attached to my apron, and for added security, I through a outrigger pad in..

NU Limey
11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
We`ve used liners for over 20 years, there changed summer/winter, plus the outer baskets are tested spring/fall. I don`t know the liner failure rate as these are tested outside our area, but come in tagged tested. Baskets that fail or have cracks /holes are immediately taken out of service. we do gloving to 34.5kv

pumkin
11-29-2006, 08:18 PM
iam not screwing with you guys its all true. we started gloving 13.2 in 89 and the company left it an option to have a liner and no one would be denied one if they wanted it. i happen to be one of the few that do use one but we dont have a test program. most of the guys started taking them out to expose the step inside. cool huh. i dont think it is a matter of money as much as it is ignorance or just not knowing. this state dose not allow the gloving of 34.5 so what little we have we stick. it is a can of worms but i think it is worth opening. in this case what they dont know can hurt them. it is the response i thought i would get so thanks for the help and i will fill you in on how it goes over.

FL DEL
12-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Pumkin , What kind of construction are you working?? bi units ?? flat arm?? alot of conjested poles or spread out ?? like was stated how does you company comply with osha for I & I direct handling # 2 are you union or not ?? pretty interesting !!

pumkin
12-26-2006, 09:07 PM
we have all kinds of construction. 100 years of it. mostly arm constrution with some double circuts. we are union wouldnt have it any other way. i looked on oshas web site and there is alot of info but as far as i can tell the actual liner is not mandatory. most of our guys are pretty good and have good rubber practices. most of our line trucks are stored inside which i think helps alot. it seems common practice to use them coast to coast maybe we are just behind the times so to speak. it is a small utility local so there is alot more going on than linework. hpoe that clears some of it up for you..

old lineman
12-27-2006, 08:45 PM
I am reading with interest the posts around this subject.
I am surprised that some utilities actually condone working live line from an aerial device that isn't equipped with TESTED AND APPROVED bucket liners.
Doesn't this utility have access to an electrical engineer. If they do and he/she says go ahead, fire the sucker.
Consult with the manufacturer. They'll set the utility straight.
Personally I wouldn't give a damn whether OSHA required them or not! They don't seem to know shit from putty about our needs.
For those who seem not to know a bucket is a mechanical device that structurally holds a worker in position. Nothing more.
It's true that the bucket is normally constructed from fiberglass, however, it's layed and has porosity. That means that it can be infiltrated with contaminents. In northern climates that will be calcium cloride from the roadways which is extremely conductive.
The buckets should be dielectrically tested at a minimum of annually and when they are they are tested along the surface from about 1/2 a foot from the bottom to close to the rim.
The test is to determine whether the shell is contaminated enough to track over the distance (which will vary from one brand to another). That is so that if the bucket contacts the neutral for example near the bottom the whole bucket won't become grounded, thereby, endangering the worker should he/she contact an energized component.
The bucket liner on the other hand is dielectrically tested for penetration. That's only the thickness of the nylon container that you insert into the bucket.
To test the liner the laboratory that tests them should fill it with water while it is placed in a water filled larger container. Once filled to about 4 inches from the lip the outside container is grounded and the water inside the liner is energized at a certain voltage according to ASTM Standards. I forget the exact value but I think it's 50,000 volts for 5 minutes.
If nothing blows through and trips the circuit the liner gets passed.
Some field tests are conducted a little different but essentially that's it.
Anyone who'll work from an aerial device on live lines with rubber gloves without bucket liners really doesn't know the importance of them or is ignorant of the dangers this job poses without them.
Why anyone who knows and understands their importance elects to go without one is beyond my comprehesion.
As for losing access to the built-in bucket step all the employer has to do is equip the buckets with a built-in fiberglass base and step that just slides in and out. The optional piece of equipment protects the bottom of the liner from scuffing and can be removed for cleaning in seconds.
In my opinion the only bucket trucks that don't need them a forestry aerial devices, aerial devices that only work on de-energized equipment and aerial devices used for bare handing EHV.
The Old Lineman

pumkin
12-28-2006, 09:31 PM
i agree with swamprat good post old lineman. swamprat i dont want this taken the wrong way, the utility will furnish you a liner if you want one. when ever i have asked for one it was ordered and installed. the reason i posted this question is i wanted to get an idea of how many other companies-contractors left it up to the worker. there is not one post on here that supports that kind of thinking. this is something that we have gotten away with for twenty years. im tring to change things but as we all know change does not come easy most of the time. i think the manufacture should insist on them. we were just delivered some new material handlers and inside the bucket there is a sticker that says no live line work without an insulated liner. pretty much sums that up...

old lineman
12-29-2006, 01:02 PM
i agree with swamprat good post old lineman. swamprat i dont want this taken the wrong way, the utility will furnish you a liner if you want one. when ever i have asked for one it was ordered and installed. the reason i posted this question is i wanted to get an idea of how many other companies-contractors left it up to the worker. there is not one post on here that supports that kind of thinking. this is something that we have gotten away with for twenty years. im tring to change things but as we all know change does not come easy most of the time. i think the manufacture should insist on them. we were just delivered some new material handlers and inside the bucket there is a sticker that says no live line work without an insulated liner. pretty much sums that up...

Reminds me of a story (I have lot's of them).
We had a provincial regulation passed that said it was mandatory to have a chain brake on your chainsaw. That was back in the early 1980's.
I recommended that the manager of a very small utility (5 empolyees) either have their chainsaw retro-fitted or replaced.
He said it was almost new!
No matter.
He had to have permission from the commision to take this action.
At the next commission meeting he requested the upgrade.
They responded "that's a new chainsaw, we'll do it when it wears out".
He said, "fine I asked and you refused. Please sign here on this letter that I asked. I don't want the responsibility if some one gets injured".
They wouldn't sign.
Instead they said, "go get the damn thing upgraded".
Mission accomplished.
The Old Lineman

Linemanblood
01-01-2007, 07:07 AM
Okay guys no more arguing here it is straight from OHSA. I email OSHA about the bucket liner and they email me back with this reply.

This is what you were looking for. There is no need to have a safety
liner. Thanks for your interest in occupational safety and health.

§1910.67
Vehicle mounted elevating and
rotating work platforms
(a) Definitions applicable to this section.
(1) "Aerial device." Any vehicle-mounted device, telescoping or
articulating, or both, which is used to position personnel.
(2) "Aerial ladder." An aerial device consisting of a single- or
multiple-section extensible ladder.
(3) "Articulating boom platform." An aerial device with two or more
hinged boom sections.
(4) "Extensible boom platform." An aerial device (except ladders) with
a telescopic or extensible boom. Telescopic derricks with personnel
platform attachments shall be considered to be extensible boom platforms
when used with a personnel platform.
(5) "Insulated aerial device." An aerial device designed for work on
energized lines and apparatus.
(6) "Mobile unit." A combination of an aerial device, its vehicle, and
related equipment.
(7) "Platform." Any personnel-carrying device (basket or bucket) which
is a component of an aerial device.
(8) "Vehicle." Any carrier that is not manually propelled.
(9) "Vertical tower." An aerial device designed to elevate a platform
in a substantially vertical axis.
(b) General requirements.
(1) Unless otherwise provided in this section, aerial devices (aerial
lifts) acquired on or after July 1, 1975, shall be designed and
constructed in conformance with the applicable requirements of the
American National Standard for "Vehicle Mounted Elevating and Rotating
Work Platforms," ANSI A92.2 - 1969, including appendix, which is
incorporated by reference as specified in §1910.6. Aerial lifts acquired
for use before July 1, 1975 which do not meet the requirements of ANSI
A92.2 - 1969, may not be used after July 1, 1976, unless they shall have
been modified so as to conform with the applicable design and
construction requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969. Aerial devices include
the following types of vehicle-mounted aerial devices used to elevate
personnel to jobsites above ground:
(i) Extensible boom platforms,
(ii) aerial ladders,
(iii) articulating boom platforms,
(iv) vertical towers, and
(v) a combination of any of the above. Aerial equipment may be made of
metal, wood, fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP), or other material; may
be powered or manually operated; and are deemed to be aerial lifts
whether or not they are capable of rotating about a substantially
vertical axis.
(2) Aerial lifts may be "field modified" for uses other than those
intended by the manufacturer, provided the modification has been
certified in writing by the manufacturer or by any other equivalent
entity, such as a nationally recognized testing laboratory, to be in
conformity with all applicable provisions of ANSI A92.2 - 1969 and this
section, and to be at least as safe as the equipment was before
modification.
(3) The requirements of this section do not apply to firefighting
equipment or to the vehicles upon which aerial devices are mounted,
except with respect to the requirement that a vehicle be a stable
support for the aerial device.
(4) For operations near overhead electric power lines, see
§1910.333(c)(3).

(c) Specific requirements.

(1) Ladder trucks and tower trucks. Before the truck is moved for
highway travel, aerial ladders shall be secured in the lower traveling
position by the locking device above the truck cab, and the manually
operated device at the base of the ladder, or by other equally effective
means (e.g., cradles which prevent rotation of the ladder in combination
with positive acting linear actuators).
(2) Extensible and articulating boom platforms.
(i) Lift controls shall be tested each day prior to use to determine
that such controls are in safe working condition.
(ii) Only trained persons shall operate an aerial lift.
(iii) Belting off to an adjacent pole, structure, or equipment while
working from an aerial lift shall not be permitted.
(iv) Employees shall always stand firmly on the floor of the basket,
and shall not sit or climb on the edge of the basket or use planks,
ladders, or other devices for a work position.
(v) A body belt shall be worn and a lanyard attached to the boom or
basket when working from an aerial lift.
(vi) Boom and basket load limits specified by the manufacturer shall
not be exceeded.
(vii) The brakes shall be set and outriggers, when used, shall be
positioned on pads or a solid surface. Wheel chocks shall be installed
before using an aerial lift on an incline.
(viii) An aerial lift truck may not be moved when the boom is elevated
in a working position with men in the basket, except for equipment which
is specifically designed for this type of operation in accordance with
the provisions of paragraphs (b)(1) and (b)(2) of this section.
(ix) Articulating boom and extensible boom platforms, primarily
designed as personnel carriers, shall have both platform (upper) and
lower controls. Upper controls shall be in or beside the platform within
easy reach of the operator. Lower controls shall provide for overriding
the upper controls. Controls shall be plainly marked as to their
function. Lower level controls shall not be operated unless permission
has been obtained from the employee in the lift, except in case of
emergency.
(x) Climbers shall not be worn while performing work from an aerial
lift.
(xi) The insulated portion of an aerial lift shall not be altered in
any manner that might reduce its insulating value.
(xii) Before moving an aerial lift for travel, the boom(s) shall be
inspected to see that it is properly cradled and outriggers are in
stowed position, except as provided in paragraph (c)(2)(viii) of this
section.
(3) Electrical tests. Electrical tests shall be made in conformance
with the requirements of ANSI A92.2 - 1969, Section 5. However,
equivalent DC voltage tests may be used in lieu of the AC voltage test
specified in A92.2 - 1969. DC voltage tests which are approved by the
equipment manufacturer or equivalent entity shall be considered an
equivalent test for the purpose of this paragraph (c)(3).
(4) Bursting safety factor. All critical hydraulic and pneumatic
components shall comply with the provisions of the American National
Standards Institute standard, ANSI A92.2 - 1969, Section 4.9 Bursting
Safety Factor. Critical components are those in which a failure would
result in a free fall or free rotation of the boom. All noncritical
components shall have a bursting safety factor of at least two to one.
(5) Welding standards. All welding shall conform to the following
Automotive Welding Society (AWS) Standards which are incorporated by
reference as specified in §1910.6, as applicable:
(i) Standard Qualification Procedure, AWS B3.0 - 41.
(ii) Recommended Practices for Automotive Welding Design, AWS D8.4-61.

(iii) Standard Qualification of Welding Procedures and Welders for
Piping and Tubing, AWS D10.9-69.
(iv) Specifications for Welding Highway and Railway Bridges, AWS
D2.0-69.

Topic: General Industry
Question: Can you give me the information on standards on electical
industry bucket trucks. I look at your index and I could not find what I
was looking for.The main question I have is do you require a safety
liner in the fiber glass basket itself.
Voltage being worked is 34.5 KV

Thank You for your time

BigClive
01-01-2007, 11:14 AM
I suppose really that the addition of a liner would only be required if there was some mechanical connection to the existing bucket that could carry current to ground. While this might have been an issue in the older days when bucket trucks weren't initially conceived as being used on live lines, it may not be such an issue now that they typically come with the fibreglass boom sections and (hopefully) non conductive control systems. In this scenario the liner is just another layer of insulation on an already insulated device.

I'd guess that manufacturing technology has advanced to the stage where the integrated insulation devices are of a stable high resistance to make extra localised insulation purely optional. Then again, I'd also guess that men working in unlined buckets have experienced uncomfortable levels of current flow at times.

If the liner isn't a burden, then there's no harm in having it purely from a "stooge" aspect where it adds an element of moral support to the person working on the lines.

It would certainly beat the crap I get. Although I work at secondary voltage levels (240/415), the bucket trucks I get are generally all-metal booms connected to an all metal chassis with nice all-metal jacks rammed into a nice wet road surface. No problem, I've got a fibreglass bucket on the end.... Except that they always seem to have a piece of nice squishy wet wood in the base of the bucket, bolted through to the metal boom with metal bolts. Needless to say, working live on wet electrical gear often leads to "undesirable current paths!" :mad:

old lineman
01-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Linemanblood, thanks for posting the official word from OSHA. It confirms what we have been talking about.
OSHA doesn't know shit about this business.
1st. point---the last date printed is 1975. That means that the whole regulation hasn't been looked at for over 30 years. How's your B&W television workiin for ya!
2nd. point---check the requirements for fall protection, (c) SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS (2) Extensible and Articulating Boom Platforms. They require a body belt to be worn. Everybody knows (should know) that a free fall into a gut strap will break your back, and that the victim can die from respiratory complications from the head down feet down position in a couple of minutes.
We have been wearing full body harnesses with dorsal DEE attachments for the last 20+ years. This is a strict (updated) fall protection requirement of OSHA's for all of industry.
The falling victim must come to rest in a vertically suspended position once the free fall has been arrested.
3rd. point--- (V) Bursting Factor. Of course that's the hydraulic hoses and it doesn't even mention that there MUST be holding valves integrated into the system to prevent a sudden collapse in the event of a hydraulic hose rupture.
This has been a requirement since before 1988 and they must be verified daily prior to use.
That's enough picking shit but you should get my drift. This regulation isn't worth the paper it's written on.
It makes me think of a phrase I once heard. "This information is for historical purposes only, and is NOT to be taught or used". Amen to that.
Sounds good to me!
Of course this leaves unscrupulous companies a way to weasel out of their obligations.
Stick to your guns guys and insist on dielectric protection for the lineman standing in a bucket. Otherwise we could be reading about you some day on this venue.
A conductive (faulty) fiberglass bucket without a bucket liner inadvertally resting against a neutral or something else could nullify the whole 18 feet of fiberglass boom, you could be grounded and not even know it until you touch or brush against another potential. It might just be a primary.
The Old Lineman

Bull Dog
01-02-2007, 12:48 PM
The voice of experience speaking is a breath of fresh air. Im 100 percent with you old man. For the others on here who say well its not in the regulation listen or someone might be sorry. Ive seen the old junk buckets some cos use and the liner is a absolute necessity just like your rubber gloves.. We have some who work primary with there leather gloves. Its only 4kv they say! Ive been doing it for years they say! Who ya gonna listen to? Think for yourselves. Working off the pole pri 8kv is not good. Baker board is a minimum requirement. back lot machine with bucket would be better. Think for yourselves.

Linemanblood
01-07-2007, 06:56 AM
Linemanblood, thanks for posting the official word from OSHA. It confirms what we have been talking about.
OSHA doesn't know shit about this business.
1st. point---the last date printed is 1975. That means that the whole regulation hasn't been looked at for over 30 years. How's your B&W television workiin for ya!
2nd. point---check the requirements for fall protection, (c) SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS (2) Extensible and Articulating Boom Platforms. They require a body belt to be worn. Everybody knows (should know) that a free fall into a gut strap will break your back, and that the victim can die from respiratory complications from the head down feet down position in a couple of minutes.
We have been wearing full body harnesses with dorsal DEE attachments for the last 20+ years. This is a strict (updated) fall protection requirement of OSHA's for all of industry.
The falling victim must come to rest in a vertically suspended position once the free fall has been arrested.
3rd. point--- (V) Bursting Factor. Of course that's the hydraulic hoses and it doesn't even mention that there MUST be holding valves integrated into the system to prevent a sudden collapse in the event of a hydraulic hose rupture.
This has been a requirement since before 1988 and they must be verified daily prior to use.
That's enough picking shit but you should get my drift. This regulation isn't worth the paper it's written on.
It makes me think of a phrase I once heard. "This information is for historical purposes only, and is NOT to be taught or used". Amen to that.
Sounds good to me!
Of course this leaves unscrupulous companies a way to weasel out of their obligations.
Stick to your guns guys and insist on dielectric protection for the lineman standing in a bucket. Otherwise we could be reading about you some day on this venue.
A conductive (faulty) fiberglass bucket without a bucket liner inadvertally resting against a neutral or something else could nullify the whole 18 feet of fiberglass boom, you could be grounded and not even know it until you touch or brush against another potential. It might just be a primary.
The Old Lineman

Old Lineman
Please don't misunderstand my post.
I whole heartly agree with you 100% on the liner. Maybe I should have made myself more clear. I was posting just to show that the way some people think is that if OSHA says you can jump in the fire and it wont burn you they feel safe doing so. I agree that OSHA is so far behind in our field that it stinks and the body harness is an perfect example. Same goes for company rules. If the company says its okay and you think it is still unsafe that does not mean you have to carry out with what ever it is you don't fell safe doing.
I wuold like to know how many of us are using the buckets with out liners. If you people have the time reply and let us know if you are working with a liner or without. This will be a survey of working out of or without a bucket liner.

mscheuerer
01-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Excellent thread, now this is what we're all here to learn about!

I am not an avid critic of OSHA by far however I do believe in factual basis. After all, we ARE professional lineman and are required to work in potentially dangerous situations and environments to which we tend to base our moves and intent on information that is gathered in order to proceed to the next step/level. With that said id like to introduce a couple of things as well:

1st, LinemanBlood: Excellent Post man! That information has been around for some time though and can be found here at osha's website. As a matter of fact it's the same exact word for word reading you posted. BUT what they failed to tell you was the standard 1910.67 HAS been ammended (SEE BOTTOM) numerous times. [39 FR 23502, June 27, 1974, as amended at 40 FR 13439, Mar. 26, 1975; 55 FR 32014, Aug. 6, 1990; 61 FR 9227, March 7, 1996]

OR:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=STANDARDS&p_id=9732

Now with that information in hand you can find the actual ruling's and dates of the proposed ammendments and decisions on which sections, paragraphs etc... were to be changed, filed and published in the Federal Register.

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_id=13529&p_table=FEDERAL_REGISTER

Now you can search 1910.67 (Or any others for that matter) here:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owasrch.search_form?p_doc_type=FEDERAL_REGISTER&p_toc_level=0&p_keyvalue=&p_status=CURRENT

I'll let you do your homework after that. None the less the bottom line in my eyes is that the liners are INDEED an added protective device. For a utility or company NOT to use or consider them would be foolish. For OSHA not to REQUIRE them is foolish. As Old Lineman stated with the NEUTRAL contact example to the bottom of the bucket; Would you be willing to put your life on the line with a ricketty old worn-out piece of fiberglass??? Not to mention this can also occur phase to phase contact via tracking if it were in that bad a shape. Anyways keep up the good work, you guy's are all TOP in this one.