PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back the draft?

linemanfrog
12-02-2006, 01:08 AM
I saw were a Democrat in Congress I believe said we should reinstate the draft. Isnt that just too damn funny. They were hell bent to stop the draft during 'Nam because "it preyed on the poor and unfortunate" members of society. Now this mans case for bring back the draft is because our military recrueters prey on these same "poor and unfortunate" members of our society. What ever the case... Whats some of your view points?

I like the idea myself. In fact I believe every citizen should be required to serve in our military for a min. of 2 years active duty or 6 years reserve duty when they reach 18 years of age. Some of you are thinking I have lost my friggin mind. Let me explain.

I am well aware you dont want a kid who doesnt even want to be in the military handling equipment that costs millions of dollars. Save that for the people who want to be there. Almost all kids would benefit from their service. The military would benefit greatly. Got a kid who volutarilly enlisted...he probably has no issues going to fight for our country. So let him go and the liberal kids who are there only because they have to be there can be the ones "in the rear with the gear." Someone has to do the support roles so that the boys who have the nuts to do so can continue keeping our country free, safe, and proud.
How many kids do you see today with true respect, discipline, strong work ethics, seriousness, etc? Very damn few. Their bootcamp expirence could go a long way to improving those issues along with others like self-confidence, education, motivation, self respect, etc.
By the time those kids are old enough to serve in the higher political positions in our country I think you would see a great change in the way this country is handled. I believe those changes would be for the better. It would also go a long way to instilling a sense of pride and love for our country as a whole.

"little beaver"
12-02-2006, 09:54 AM
I saw were a Democrat in Congress I believe said we should reinstate the draft. Isnt that just too damn funny. They were hell bent to stop the draft during 'Nam because "it preyed on the poor and unfortunate" members of society. Now this mans case for bring back the draft is because our military recrueters prey on these same "poor and unfortunate" members of our society. What ever the case... Whats some of your view points?

I like the idea myself. In fact I believe every citizen should be required to serve in our military for a min. of 2 years active duty or 6 years reserve duty when they reach 18 years of age. Some of you are thinking I have lost my friggin mind. Let me explain.

I am well aware you dont want a kid who doesnt even want to be in the military handling equipment that costs millions of dollars. Save that for the people who want to be there. Almost all kids would benefit from their service. The military would benefit greatly. Got a kid who volutarilly enlisted...he probably has no issues going to fight for our country. So let him go and the liberal kids who are there only because they have to be there can be the ones "in the rear with the gear." Someone has to do the support roles so that the boys who have the nuts to do so can continue keeping our country free, safe, and proud.
How many kids do you see today with true respect, discipline, strong work ethics, seriousness, etc? Very damn few. Their bootcamp expirence could go a long way to improving those issues along with others like self-confidence, education, motivation, self respect, etc.
By the time those kids are old enough to serve in the higher political positions in our country I think you would see a great change in the way this country is handled. I believe those changes would be for the better. It would also go a long way to instilling a sense of pride and love for our country as a whole.

All of the above is very true. However, there are a couple of problems with 'the draft' ie 'universal military service'.

How do you make it really fair? So that everyone has to serve? Get rid of deferments etc. It also creates a huge Military and gives the power brokers lots of 'canon fodder' to engage in questionable overseas adventures.

I always thought that a shorter active duty time(18 months vs 24 months) and some time in the Reserves aka like some of the Euro countries would make more sense.

I think that was appropriate when you equated Reserve time equal with active duty. To say that someone avoided Vietnam when they were serving in the Reserves ie National Guard etc. is ridiculous.

linemanfrog
12-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Say as of January 1, 2007 (or some other date) the following rules will apply.

Everyone male and female between the ages of 18 and 20 will meet with a recuiter of their choice to enlist in the branch of their choosing. If they do not they will be drafted by the government to the branch of service that they can best serve.

Females will not be asked to go to combat deployment units

Males will have a choice on combat or non combat MOS's. Once the non combat MOS's are filled to capacity then all males will go to the remaining MOS's.

The only deferments will be due to valid medical reasons (to be reviewed by doctors employed by the US Government)

Conscripts pay will be based on what tasks they perform in their assigned MOS's. A individual going to combat will be payed substantially more than one that is staying stateside to guard a military instilation.

Upon reaching thier discharge date (18 to 24 months, or 20 years of age, whichever comes first) they will be able to either be discharged or reenlist with prefernce given to duty station and MOS.

If they are caught attempting to "dodge" the conscription they will be charged with treason and punishment will be served in numerous ways. Jail time equal to the amount of time they would have served in the military. Revoking of voting rights, gun ownership rights, and the right to pursue a college education in the US.

People love being able to take advantage of the liberties and rights that are given to them in our Constitution. Its time society as a whole stood up and protected their own rights instead of expecting a minority of the population to protect the majority.

scammy
12-03-2006, 06:16 PM
when 50 or 60 % of congressmans and senetors kidds get drafted,,,,,,,,,,then it will be fair,

linemanfrog
12-04-2006, 12:12 AM
I am not for a draft as much as I am for required sevice also known as conscription. This would not be a selective practice such as the draft was. It would be a requirement for all 18 to 20 year olds regardless of race, religion, creed, posperity, family ties, political ties, etc. If they are US citizens then they would be required to serve in one of the 5 Armed Services. Yes I said 5 USMC, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard. I really think it would do not only our country good but the young men and women themselves as well. Think about it and post your comments. I am not trying to start a pissing contest, but rather a discussion on what many Americans consider a touchy subject.

49pan
12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
You don't have to be a US citizen to be in the military. Include every US resident 18 to 25, maybe some of them will leave.

T-Man
12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
Little Beaver,The reason most people joined the National Guard,during
Vietnam was to avoid the draft and the risk of being sent there.
In most states you had to know someone just to get in.If you were young and could not get any deferments that was the best way to avoid fighting.
It is not like today where most National Guard units are called to active duty.
Speak to some Vietnam Vets,see what they say about Guardsman in the 60's

"little beaver"
12-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Little Beaver,The reason most people joined the National Guard,during
Vietnam was to avoid the draft and the risk of being sent there.
In most states you had to know someone just to get in.If you were young and could not get any deferments that was the best way to avoid fighting.
It is not like today where most National Guard units are called to active duty.
Speak to some Vietnam Vets,see what they say about Guardsman in the 60's

Hey TM, I was living in the US going to school in the 60's. My Dad was a WW II Vet of the NG. My cousin was a LT Col in the NG. Being in the Guard was no guarantee that you would not be called to active duty, especially in the early years. A few selected units were called to active duty. ( I remember my Dad saying that was one of the mistakes, not calling up the Guard)

However, regardless of all that, it was a legitamate form of service. If the politicos of the day couldn't make the decision that's not the fault of the Guardsman. Also it was a 6yr enlistment vs 3yr RA or 2yr for the draft.

BTW: Although Canada does not have 'universal military sevice', we do have the Cadet Corps, Navy, Air Force and Army for kids ages 12-19. There are thousands of kids involved. Like the Reserves they train once a week, some weekends and there are numerous summer Camps available Canada wide. As a member of the Reserves, I have been involved at some of these Camps at the training level.

"little beaver"
12-04-2006, 08:09 PM
You don't have to be a US citizen to be in the military. Include every US resident 18 to 25, maybe some of them will leave.

In the Viet era you didn't have to be, but I think now you do. As you may know about 30,000 Canadians served in the US military in Vietnam.

In Canada you have to be a citizen to serve in the military, athough there is some talk of changing that. The last time I crossed the border from the US to Canada I was questioned as to my Citizenship so I just showed my Army. Reserve ID Card.

Dave@PSE&G
12-05-2006, 08:39 PM
In the Viet era you didn't have to be, but I think now you do. As you may know about 30,000 Canadians served in the US military in Vietnam.

In Canada you have to be a citizen to serve in the military, athough there is some talk of changing that. The last time I crossed the border from the US to Canada I was questioned as to my Citizenship so I just showed my Army. Reserve ID Card.
Beav,
I don't believe that you have to be a citizen to serve in the US military, but you do have to have a green card. I can swear that I read in the N.Y.Post about 2 years ago that a soldier that was KIA was awarded citizenship posthumously. I could be wrong, though. -- Dave