PDA

View Full Version : Whats to see in Washington D.C.?

CenterPointEX
12-07-2006, 05:31 PM
The wife and I will be there for a few days. What are your favorite places to eat, visit, etc.?

Orgnizdlbr
12-07-2006, 06:45 PM
The wife and I will be there for a few days. What are your favorite places to eat, visit, etc.?

The Tomb of the Unkown and Arlington National Cemetery is a must. Also while at Arlington visit the Custis Lee Mansion. The Mansion used to be Robt. E. Lee's and Mary Lee's residence and the grounds of the cemetery was the family plantation. There are a host of museums to see, all depending on your interest. The Air and Space museum is pretty cool.

There is a tour of the Whitehouse, I went on it during the first Persian gulf war, almost got in a fist fight with some Iraqis who were demonstrating in front of the Whitehouse on Pennsylvania Ave. My wife and a DC policeman had to calm me down....anyway you have to line up on the Elipse in grandstands to get tix. They only give tix to as many as you have with you so you and the wife will both have to wait if interested.

The Capitol is interesting, the Washinton Monument, The Lincoln, well as many as you get to. Every time I go I visit the "Wall" if you havent yet seen it, you should.

mrnick
12-07-2006, 07:44 PM
CP,
check your PM, i sent ya one.

42linehand
12-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I'll agree arlington cemetery is a must, although I also enjoyed going to the Smithsonian Museums. There are several of them so take a look at what interest you. I heard that going to the treasury was cool also.

Dave@PSE&G
12-08-2006, 11:48 PM

Put on your walking shoes and try to see most of the monuments. I thought the WWII memorial was amazing. Take one of the "Monuments by Moonlight" tours. They drive you around in a bus with large windows to catch the monuments all lit up. Arlington is a popular stop with a lot of people. I have been there twice. Once for my grandfather's funeral (USN '42-'45), and once to visit his grave. I passed by Ford's Theater, but it wasn't open. I'm not even sure if they do tours or not. There are a ton of things to see.

LostArt
12-09-2006, 11:05 AM
Put on your walking shoes and try to see most of the monuments. I thought the WWII memorial was amazing. Take one of the "Monuments by Moonlight" tours. They drive you around in a bus with large windows to catch the monuments all lit up. Arlington is a popular stop with a lot of people. I have been there twice. Once for my grandfather's funeral (USN '42-'45), and once to visit his grave. I passed by Ford's Theater, but it wasn't open. I'm not even sure if they do tours or not. There are a ton of things to see.

The WWII wasn't there in '91 when my daughter and 30 other 4th and 5th graders/adults went. I so much enjoyed it and I want to go back. We saw Queen Elizabeth twice in a motorcade along with Sr Bush and Mrs. Bush's motorcade. Sr's head was always burried in a newspaper but Barbara Bush would wave from the back window at the children. That impressed me.

The WALL is a MUST. All the Memorials are. Eat? LMAO! All I know is the Rock Cafe! :D I know, but we were with KIDS! Oh and the Smithsoian is good. Just depends on what you want to see really. But, there is alot to see and do. But, like Dave says....bring your good walking shoes CP! And Washington DC at night is beautiful!!

The funny thing is, I had just talked the Boss Thursday night in going next June. He won't take a flight! And he doesn't want to drive. That leaves us the bus or the train. I told him the train ride is LONG on the way back! LOL! But, I can't remember how many hours it took. I know we rode ALL NIGHT on the way back and when I got on that night...........I dreaded the trip back! LOL!

But, I know you two will love it. That's why I want to take the Boss. PLUS......I want to enjoy it without 30 kids in tow! :D

CenterPointEX
12-13-2006, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed the sights. The Wall was moving and I knew it would be. I grew up watching Walter Cronkite giving a daily synopsis on the days War happenings. I, as a child watched not the news, but the effect it had on the adults around me.

The Capitol, as well as the memorials had the same effect on me.

We ate at some fancy smancy fifty dollar plate Cocinas... But the dinner I enjoyed the most was partaken at a dive called the "Dancing Crab" in Tenley Town. They serve up steamed crabs and pitchers of cold beer. The spice on the crabs is a local brew. Monday night is the Lobster Special... a pound and half lobster with new potatoes and veggies for $23, a bargin for the price of rice in China... They were out of Crabs on sunday, but they had two left which they served up with the steak and baked potato I ordered. Monday we went back for the Lobster... Ummmm. The place reminds you of an old Sailers haunt on a Wharf somewhere. But it is in the center of Tenley Town Which is about three stops north of D.C. on the Shady Grove Red Line train. When you come out of the Subway walk right to the corner then keep right, past the Star Bucks, Past the CVS. When you go, stay somewhere north of D.C. and buy the Short Trip Subway pass for $22... We stayed in Bethesda... The subway is effecient, clean, and gets you there fast. If you rent a bicycle, you can take it on the sub and it will make your tour of D.C. less taxing...

The folks around there don't do a lot of driving. Us Texans have a love affair with our cars so its kinda different observing a culture of walkers.

Anyhow, last year I went to the Grand Canyon, this year D.C. ... both are pinnacle must sees of the American experience. Gods handwriting is truly on this Great Nation... UNTIL further NOtice.... "One Nation Under God!" Can I get an AMEN! I pulling for the Blue Dogs to fight the good fight.