PDA

View Full Version : Help from Colorado Lineman!

capitolgangster
12-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey I have been in the trade about three years, first year as an apprentice and two as a groundman. I do not want to go back to the Cal-Nev NJATC for multitudinous reasons but mostly their degrading standards. They just keep advancing unqualified people. So the long and short is I am coming to Colrado and the MSLCAT program which I feel is a better program. (Plus I get to live in a clean and unexpensive state) I am at the breaking point financially because the work is sparse for groundman in northern california. If anyone could put me up near the Training Center in Colorado Springs on the dates around my interview (January 16th) and climbing class which will most likely be a week later. Although, climbing class may be in Utah. I am not sure. I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have never worked in the weather out there. This horrifically hot weather in Cali never stops. So, if anyone could tell me exactly what kind of clothes/insulated boots and whatnot that I should buy I would appreciate it. I think it is in the 40's in the daytime. So maybe you guys just work with thermals underneath regular carhartts???

Any info/advice regarding Colorado work, training, apprenticeship etc. will be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Daniel Antinora
IBEW 1245

email: capitolgangster@yahoo.com

damn_encode
12-16-2006, 11:03 PM
I work in Western Wyoming and hopefully your weather will be warmer then mine, but what I carry in my bag is, Hoffman Double Insulated Lineman Pacs, Carrhartt Extremes Bib Overals, Wool Sweater, Filson Wool Jacket Liner, Ski Gloves, Leather Gloves, Fog Proof Ski Goggles, 2 Pairs of Safety Glasses (Tinted & Yellow), Hard Hat Liner With Face Shield, & North Face Wind Proof / Water Proof Coat. I also go to work wearing my normal long sleeve shirts with full long underwear, wool socks and climbing boots. Where I work, we don’t stop when the weather gets nasty, so I try and be prepared for all conditions. I realize that non of this gear is FR rated but at this point in my apprenticeship I am not qualified to perform hot work. The trick is to have clothes that will keep you warm but also allow you to work comfortably.

Good Luck, Stay Safe.

tramp67
12-17-2006, 08:13 PM
Layers, layers, layers! The best clothing you can have is multiple layers of natural fiber clothing, so you can add/remove items as the weather and the type of work you do varies. Some of the nicest stuff, if you can find it and don't mind the price tag, is a bottom layer of silk long underwear - you can findit at most outdoors stores - ski shops, etc. Also online. This will keep your skin dry no matter what your other layers are. For me, I tend to run pretty warm, so I skip that. I usually like a good long sleeved cotton shirt, followed by either a flannel shirt or non-synthetic sweatshirt, followed by a medium weight jacket with a heavy outer fabric, such as carharrt. Carharrt also makes some very nice flannel lined pants, the two layers of fabric really help, the outer blocks the wind, and the flannel keeps the cold outer layer off your skin. Wool socks inside boots that give your feet enough room to move around work well. In cold weather, it really helps to get a good pair of insoles for your boots, it's a good layer of insulation between your feet and the bottom of your boots. Hardhat liners are definitely nice, I like the ones that attach to the hardhat suspension. Your employer is required to furnish you with safety glasses - OSHA rules require the employer to furnish any required safety items. I personally don't wear goggles, as they always fog up on me - I have enough problems with safety glasses fogging up! Inexpensive insulated work gloves work for me in winter, keep several pair so if one gets wet, you can switch to a dry pair while the wet ones are drying! If you can find a pair of good boots with goretex lining, they are definitely worth the extra expense to have dry feet.

Alan Mac
12-18-2006, 02:03 AM
Hey Tramp, couldn't aggree more with ya on the boots. The ones we get issued with now are made my a company called Haix, gortex lined and waterproof to the very top. They are the best boots I've ever had.

Mac